melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  8:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Dr. wants me to start on Lovastatin and continue for six weeks then check to see if it lowered my cholesterol count.

Anyone take this? And have you suffered side effects? I haven't picked up the script yet, but I just read about it on line and it sounds a little scary-

Talk to me ladies...

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6528 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  04:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Melody~ I have been on one statin or another since 1998 and have done pretty well. My cholesterol has been well controlled with just the smallest dose plus exercise and a healthy diet. I have had problems with muscle tenderness in all of my muscles but I also have Fibromyalgia so we are not sure if the statins are to blame or it is just the Fibromyalgia. In my case, only the low dose of statins control my levels so not taking them is not an option. I say, give it a try and see how you do. Most people tolerate them quite well. If you have problems, you can try a different one or look for another treatment. The bottom line is that you have to weigh the damage caused to your arteries and cardiac system versus a lesser effective treatment. In my 60s, it is my choice to try and keep my cardiac system as healthy as possible. After all, if that is messed up, pretty much everything else is!

Winnie#3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  7:47:41 PM  Show Profile
Melody, I have been on it since 2003 and had had no problems at all. I was on 20mg. a day, but this past April my numbers were good, so dr. had me go to 1/2 tablet, 10mg. until September and see if there were ant changes. Mine is mostly from heridity.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  06:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Melody I have been on two Statin drugs and both times I have had severe side effects that affect my muscles. This lastes one I can hardly walk the muscle pain is so bad. On the advice of a new doctor I am on time release Niacin and Fish oil. No more statins of any kind for me.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  11:45:20 AM  Show Profile
I haven't even picked up the script-I am going to speak to my PA again next week-Give myself 6-weeks to lower it and try another option. I already have muscle aches (un-explained) charlie horses, etc. in my legs along with an occasional bout of sciatic nerve pain. I've been reading up on it and they are saying some of the muscle damage that occurs is irreversible...Yikes!

I just don't get my PA at all...you would think she would suggest diet, exercise, fish oil, etc. before adding another pill to my regimen. Maybe, I should find another dr.?

I started the fish oil last week and have really been watching what I put in my mouth! So....if that fails after six weeks then I will have to do something. Thanks for all the input! You girls are SO smart!!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  7:24:51 PM  Show Profile
Check out the Womens Health volumn of Mother Earth News. I am trying to get off some of my perscription drugs and that issue is so valuable. DH and MIL were both on statins. MIL ended up with a tongue the sixe of a golf ball and needed benedryl to reverse the effect of the drug. DH has had no problems other than changing insurance and the coverage for that perscription went away. Good luck!

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3305 Posts

Melody
USA
3305 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  8:05:27 PM  Show Profile
It seems that more and more I am finding that SIDE EFFECTS far out way the benefits for the majority of prescription drugs-but then again....the alternative is also very scary!

It pays to be informed though and I really strive to find out about medications so that I can make an informed decision.

I worked in the Health Care arena for many years and I would just cringe when typing a report only to discover some people who were on an incredible amount of drugs that they had to take daily...Is it just me, but are we being OVER-prescribed? Whatever happened to "take two aspirin and call me in the morning?"

Melody
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Lovastatin Side Effects? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page