Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Help for Wedding Rings that lost Clorox fight!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help for Wedding Rings that lost Clorox fight! Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  6:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone!
My wonderful hubby decided he would clean our pantry top to bottom while I was gone! (Bless him Lord!) He went and bought bleach (I won't find fault with this on this one occasion!) to wash everything down. Unfortunately he was wearing his wedding band and 5th anniversary band. They are made from silver. Needless to say they turned nearly BLACK! He designed our rings and a family friend who is a silversmith made them!!! Is there any hope to clean them? I haven't tried anything except to search online which I found frustrating!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  9:00:28 PM  Show Profile

Get an aluminum cookie sheet. Lay silver single file on the sheet. Sprinkle with baking soda. Pour boiling water over the top. Whoo-Hoo for chemical reactions. The soda and aluminum react, causing the soda to bubble. Voile', you have shiny silver. Bigger things like vases, serving trays, even a tea service can be done the same way , you just may need to use a bigger aluminum container

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  9:16:45 PM  Show Profile
I have done it putting aluminum foil in the bottom of a sauce pan with everything the same as above. No more polishing for me. I do some nice cups my grandmother gave me and all my silver jewelry. Works perfectly.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13570 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13570 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  06:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I've never had to clean silver from that kind of situation. However, I have from it being quite tarnished from lack of use/wear, etc.
And, I've had good success with toothpaste and an old toothbrush.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2012 :  07:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I agree with ceejay toothpaste works, but if not you can have your silversmith friend buff it, I truly think the toothpaste will work, that is how I clean my silver jewelry,
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  4:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for your suggestions! Aluminum with baking soda and boiling water! Who would have thought! Thanks a million!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help for Wedding Rings that lost Clorox fight! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page