Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 DD bit by sewing bug! :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic DD bit by sewing bug! :) Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  08:05:22 AM  Show Profile
I teach knitting classes for my town each semester, and recently met the sewing teacher. She is a doll! Anyway, we both were doing summer camps last week, and she invited my dd to sit in at her class since she knows my dd can now knit like a pro. In three days, Audrey made shorts, a reversible totebag, three pillows, and two stuffed animals, one being a cute little homespun kitty cat she designed herself. We found buttons for the eyes and nose, and I taught her how to embroider so she embroidered whiskers. We tied a bell around its neck and it's the cutest little pillow-type pet. I've got a sewing machine here and am wanting to sew more myself. Any suggestions for patterns or things my dd might like to sew? She's ten.

I'm really happy and pleasantly surprised how much she loves sewing. She's really good at it!
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

Edited by - texdane on Jul 26 2012 08:07:14 AM

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  10:12:51 AM  Show Profile
That is so exciting!! How fun to do crafts together....I think some aprons and potholders would be fun and pretty easy for her to get done. Keep us posted on how she is doing!

Enjoy~

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  06:21:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lori! Will do. I remember going to the fabric store as a kid with my mom and pouring over pattern books on a hot summer day.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  06:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a perfect way to spend ANY kind of day! Patterns and threads and fabric Oh My!!

Enjoy each and every moment- I know you will! :)

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2012 :  5:38:54 PM  Show Profile
I think with a little help, a simple skirt with an elastic waist band. Then maybe a pair of PJ bottoms with an elastic waist band. Simplicity has some inexpensive patterns. And sometimes Walmart has some .99 cent patterns.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1415 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1415 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  1:06:23 PM  Show Profile
What about a quilt made with squares. Very easy you sew all the squares together then add a thin batting and sew the backing on . My daughter was 10 when she made her first quilt for a 4-
H project. What a bout new curtians for her room.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  2:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Cloth napkins are a lot of fun to make! She can choose cute prints, sew them together and do a little topstitching and boom! She's created a masterpiece that's functional too! Plus, they make great gifts for the holidays-a little bundle of 4 or six tied with a ribbon... simple little drawstring bags are also cute for ponytail clippers, pens, treasures, etc.
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  07:37:03 AM  Show Profile
I started my daughter on a simple pillow cover that matched her comforter. She had fun with it. She will turn 24 in December and I will buying a machine for her Christmas present. Every girl needs one!

another thought is a pillowcase dress. They are fun and easy.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

cori1312
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Leslie
Fairborn Ohio
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  12:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh goodness, if you let her sew pants, be sure to help her. My mom left me to a pair of shorts when I as ten and they came out looking like I'd worn them horse-riding (think Arc de Triomphe)! The instructions for the inside leg seam can be tricky for a first time pants maker.

"You don't have a soul; you are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  3:03:46 PM  Show Profile
@ Leslie: LOL!! Such a cute description. My mom made me a quilted jumper when I was little and she didn't do the buttons right and the thing fell off in the street, down around my ankles, at a church dinner. I was five and to this day remember being HORRIFIED. I love the idea of letting her do a simple quilt for her dolls. We are going to check out the fabric store this week. I'll let you know what we come up with...

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic DD bit by sewing bug! :) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page