Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Lark Rise to Candleford Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  6:41:56 PM  Show Profile
Someone (sorry, can't remember who) here mentioned the PBS series Lark Rise to Candleford. I started watching it and it is wonderful. I went out and bought the first season series only because Barnes & Noble had it at 75% off, plus I have a B&N card and received another 10% off. The other series are around $60.00 a set (ouch!!!). Anyway, I decided to order the book from Amazon. I wanted to get The Illustrated Lark Rise to Candleford, but it was over $50. So, I checked it out at the library. It is beautifully illustrated, written by Flora Thompson and based on her childhood in a poor, tiny Oxfordshire hamlet named Juniper. Juniper is renamed Lark Rise in the book. If you love the series, I highly recommend the book.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  8:42:49 PM  Show Profile
A friend told me about that. Now, I'll really have to read up on it. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  9:58:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it is a lovely series. I will have to look for the books at my library I didn't know there was any.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  05:47:38 AM  Show Profile
I love the series and have all of them on dvd. The illustrated book edition, is beautiful but really hard to find, I have heard that it is somewhat revised compared to the individual books (though I am not sure of this as I haven't read the non-illustrated versions).

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  08:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I just discovered this beautiful series on PBS. Is anyone else watching it also?

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  09:10:48 AM  Show Profile
I loved the series. I haven't had a chance to look for the books at the library. I will look them up next time I'm there. I'm sure they are even better as the terrific series has been.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  10:31:09 AM  Show Profile
Now see what you made me do? I went to thrift books and ordered the book.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Lark Rise to Candleford Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page