3309 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  11:11:57 AM  Show Profile

Bruce lugging around my 40-pound back-pack

Simulated logging village near the saw mill

Antique AG implements-See how DRY it is here ?

Birthing Barn-What sweet babies...

After touring the grounds and the barns I wanted to pop into one of the exhibit halls to see all the jams/jellies/veggies and handiwork. I was FLABBERGASTED. Only a handful of jams/jellies/veggies and hardly any handiwork exhibited AT ALL. I spoke with the lady in charge about it and she said in the not so distant past 20 years or so the Hall contained about 60 X MORE in exhibits than in recent years! She gave me some information about entering next year-I've never entered my embroidery or jellies and it sounded like it would be a lot of fun!

I found the Exhibit Hall very sad considering the amount presented. But, then again when I was a girl we actually had REQUIRED Home Ec maybe that made a difference? Times sure are changing....Embroidery and jelly making seem to be a lost art nowadays.

Anyone out there attending their State Fairs? I would love to hear from you and what you think about the dying art of Blue Ribbons and exhibiting the finer art of needlework...

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  11:56:38 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful pictures. Thanks. It must have been nice.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  12:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody,
I was in 4-H from age 9 until I went to college and we entered our projects in the County Fair every year. Exhibit Hall was FULL! The animals barns were FULL! It's not that way any more sadly.
I've never entered anything as an adult . . . maybe someday I'll consider it. It's always SOOOOOOOOOOO danged busy at fair time.
Thanks for your pics!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  4:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Those are great pictures. County fairs are so much fun.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  4:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Melody, that fair is in my town. Yes, it is a shame so much has been dwindling down these past years. There used to be a building for the food exhibits, one for the arts and crafts, one for the 4-h, and one for horticulture. Now most of it is in just the 2 buildings, and like you say, very little in the jams and jellies.
I did not make it to the fair this year, been busy working for my son. At least there was good weather and cooler days.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  5:35:59 PM  Show Profile
I know Jan-Been to Escanaba quite a few times since relocating to K.I. Sawyer up in Gwinn in '72 all across country from Bangor, Maine. It was definitely cooler, but it poured while we were there. I just wish the Fair grounds could be kept a little cleaner. I know they get a lot of people in to see it, but it was pretty dirty-one of the reasons I haven't been there in about 15-years. I really wanted to see all of the exhibits but it was a real disappointment.

Just not the same as it used to be. I heard one lady at the hall say the State of Michigan no longer has anything to do with it anymore that it is all private now...Sad.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  5:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Melody, The state fair is now privately owned, but it has been going downhill for quite a few years before that. It is very disappointing, especially when it is the state fair. The Dickenson county fair in Norway was alot better than ours, smaller, but more involved. Don't know if it is still that way, it is on Labor Day weekend. Don't think we will make it there either though.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  5:57:24 PM  Show Profile
We would LOVE to go to the Minnesota State Fair-making plans for that right now-Checked out their website and it looks great!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  12:14:18 PM  Show Profile
The fairs like everything else are becoming expensive and commercialized in a lot of ways. We usually take some of our horses to the local county fair and do the gymkhana, bringing extra for kids. All there is to win is ribbons so it is just for fun. But this year there were six events like usual, but where they were $3 each or $15 for all year before last, then $5 each or $25 for all last year, this year they were $10 each or $50 for all. We opted out and just rode around the fairgrounds to season our horses for going places like that. It would have been $200 for all four of us just to get a handful of ribbons. We like to get our horses out to little stuff like this just to show them off locally and to have a little fun, but not worth it. I feel that the fairs should be more to promote local businesses cause why encourage kids to do stuff for 4H if the community fair isn't going to offer something to them when they become adults. It shouldn't be just to support 4H or the fair board or other non-profit groups. It should be for everyone. Sad.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  1:21:44 PM  Show Profile
I was too old to be involved in 4-H in our little town when my family re-located to a rural community, but I ALWAYS envied the 4-H'rs! And the FFA and the FHA!! It was good, healthy fun that gave them an air of accomplishment that I sorely lacked as a teen. It is sad Laura...too bad our society can't encourage a revitalization of the ART of homemaking and raising animals-I guess we are a product of our times-Who says progress is good?

Melody
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  7:32:26 PM  Show Profile
You gonna make the trek to our State Fair!? It's a great fair! You'll love it. Let me know if you're coming and we can maybe get some of the MN farmgirls to meet up with you!
~Hugs,
April :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  9:22:09 PM  Show Profile
Plans are still in the works April...My daughter has to work and we are trying to get someone to cover for her and my son wants to go, on the condition that we drop him off at the Mall of America while we cruise the Exhibits LOL!

I've been to Minneapolis/St. Paul many, many times, but only once at the fairgrounds for an Antique Show-Never been to the State fair! I hear it's pretty wonderful...

Thank you for the offer April! But, I think we are really going to be pressed for time. I'll be thinking of my Minnesota Farm Girls though!!

Melody

Edited by - melody on Aug 20 2012 9:24:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic State Fair-Pics! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page