Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Vacuum sealers worth it or not?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Vacuum sealers worth it or not? Next Topic  

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2012 :  2:59:48 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone use vacuum sealers for food storage? What are the pros the cons and any other info you want to share? They are pricey and I need to do some farmgirl research before I make the decision. What brand did you buy and do you use it? They seem kind of bulky.....would love to know your thoughts. Thanks!

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4115 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4115 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  04:35:54 AM  Show Profile
I have mixed feeling on them. I can't think of the name, but it is the big brand that I have. When it works it is good, but half the time it don't. Mine is older though, maybe the newer ones are better.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

showthemlove
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Vanessa
Vermillion SD
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  08:27:07 AM  Show Profile
I have a Food Saver and love it. I do need to replace the accessory hose, though. It is not vacuuming properly. I use the sealer on things that are not just in the actual Food Saver bags, too. Like cereal, before we go on holiday, some mylar bags of spices. You can also dry seal canning jars with it, (the accessory hose) by putting your jar and seal into a larger Food Saver canister with the lid. Then vacuum. Now my quart size apple butter can be resealed and (I still put it in the fridge) then it doesn't get mold on the edge. I really really recommend this gadget. You can also get regular and wide mouth lids that reseal your jar without the canister.

I have been able to freeze more veggies without preblanching, because the removal of air decreases bacterial ability. Not all of these statements have been approved by the FDA (who cares?) but these are the things that I really get excited about with my FS.

I love the upper Midwest!
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  3:56:29 PM  Show Profile
I had one my from Walmart. I got so frustrated with it, it ended up in the back yard (not in one piece!). Mine wasn't worth the hassle. Maybe you'll have better luck.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  5:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Love mine and use it all the time. I also vacuum dry goods in jars with the attachments. There was a previous post about this very subject. Here it is:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59617

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Aug 24 2012 5:52:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  8:32:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Meggy2. We bought a Food Saver several years ago when we still owned our fishing boat. We tried it for sealing fresh and smoked fish steaks and filets to go in the freezer and weren't happy with the results...it changed the texture of the fresh fish and also dried it out. The fish in the vacuum sealed bags seemed like it got freezer burned more easily than the stuff I just put in ziplock plastic bags and wrapped in freezer paper. We had similar results with a quarter of angus beef we froze. I had better luck with fruits and vegetables, but the bags are so expensive I finally gave up and have been using re-useable freezer containers for the past few years. Although I won't throw my Food Saver appliance out, I definitely don't use it very often. Mine did not come with the vacuum hose and bottles but I am looking forward to hearing what others think about them. Maybe that would be a good way for me to reclaim a useful purpose in my kitchen. Good luck!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Vacuum sealers worth it or not? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page