nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  7:22:37 PM  Show Profile
My local Amish source has bushels of the most beautiful tomatoes for $7. I am planning on freezing them whole. I know it can be done and have read the directions from local ag college but am wondering if any farmgirls have done them that way. I'd love to hear of any experience you've had.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  7:37:24 PM  Show Profile
I just started browsing the Farm kitchen forum and found the same question on page 261. Sounds like it's a very easy and no stress way to preserve a lot of tomatoes.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  9:25:26 PM  Show Profile
I have done it for a few years, usually at the end of the season when I am overwhelmed by veggies from the garden. I wash them and set them in a gallon ziplock bag so they lie flat. date them and layer one section or a drawer in the deep freezer. The good thing is when you thaw them out the skins will come right off. Good luck!

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2012 :  10:24:02 PM  Show Profile
If it isn't pouring tomorrow, we'll go to the market and get a bushel. Hubby wants to help so it won't take any time at all to get them packaged up. Sure beats messing up the kitchen trying to get them all peeled and canned to say nothing of the expense of getting more jars.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page