Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Yarrow Tincture - A Summer Project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Yarrow Tincture - A Summer Project Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  6:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tasha. Do you mean "throw them in" to boiling water, for a cuppa, or alternatively, soak them in vodka for several weeks like I do with the lemon balm tincture recipe?

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  09:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Jo -

You need to find a good herb book - or several. Dandelion is a good spring tonic but not something I would use long term, it has laxative effects. ;) The leaves are rich in vitamins so its a good bit of green to add fresh to your salads. Dry it and tincture it too. It's the best way to keep it on hand when it's out of season.

You should know exactly what something does, and why you are taking it. If something is said to be loaded with potassium and you can't assimilate potassium well, you might do well to avoid that plant. Herbal care is about knowledgable self care. :)

Most plants have contraindictions. It's good to just study one for awhile to learn everything about it and keep good notes.

Personally, I stand by peppermint for a tummy tea. If one is vomiting but can stand to sip a little, it can help to calm a nausous stomach. Taking Yarrow for a tummy ache might be overkill. Think about it's antibacterial properties... would you take an antibiotic for gas?
Yarrow tea would be good to drink if you are fighting a fever or a cold. It's important to know that yarrow will reduce a fever by increasing sweating. This may not be a desired effect with all fevers, as your body's way of healing itself is to raise its temperature.

It can also help relieve cramps and regulate a menstrual cycle. I have a female blend I use for Es as she's having those teen cramps, a pinch of yarrow finds its way in that as well.

Also, look at the common names of a plant for a clue to its use. Yarrow is also known as: Milfoil, Old Man's Pepper, Soldier's Woundwort, Knight's Milfoil, Thousand Weed, Nose Bleed, Carpenter's Weed, Bloodwort, Staunchweed. Yes! Externally it was traditionally used to stop bleeding.

Anyway.. thats just a little of MY perspective on the herbs as I know them. I realize we each have our own. I encourage you to develope your own herbal philosophies. :)

Babs

My NEW store: www.mugwortmaggies.com
Laundry Soap at Etsy: www.mugwortmaggies.etsy.com
Connect to me on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mugwortmaggie

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  10:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting useful information, Babs! I have two herb books now and have been shopping around for a couple of others that have been frequently recommended around the MJF forum. I also have several printouts from herbal websites, since I agree that we novices must study up on our own as well as learning from others. It's always so interesting to learn something new here, then go off and find more information about a particular subject. I like the way MJF assigns us titles based on number of postings, maybe we start giving ourselves diplomas or certificates from FarmGirl College? (that last part was a joke; I am not volunteering for, or suggesting anything here!)

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  11:07:58 PM  Show Profile
Your welcome Jo. :)

Babs
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  11:26:12 AM  Show Profile
bumping this up, and...

I was stung this weekend by a nasty little bee or fly; have not identified it yet but maybe a sweat bee? Anyway, a big red and itchy welt came up on my upper arm, and I ran into the house and got my trusty bottle of yarrow juice. Dabbed some on the bite and went back to lugging wheelbarrow loads of composted dirt around my yard. I cam in a couple of hours later to shower and dress for date night; a sleeveless sundress and voila, hardly a mark, hardly an itch. Thanks, Babs, just wanted to share that!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  7:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have noticed several places on the palouse where Yarrow is growing. I will have to try this soon before it is too late in the season!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  10:51:48 AM  Show Profile
Alee, did you get your yarrow picked?

The season seemed short here. Just not enough rain. I was hoping for 2 batches but only managed one.

Babs

Laundry Soap & girly stuff: www.mugwortmaggies.com

Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  11:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Yarrow is awesome. I love that you had faith to experiment and discovered for yourself a new use!
Babs

quote:
Originally posted by Hideaway Farmgirl

bumping this up, and...

I was stung this weekend by a nasty little bee or fly; have not identified it yet but maybe a sweat bee? Anyway, a big red and itchy welt came up on my upper arm, and I ran into the house and got my trusty bottle of yarrow juice. Dabbed some on the bite and went back to lugging wheelbarrow loads of composted dirt around my yard. I cam in a couple of hours later to shower and dress for date night; a sleeveless sundress and voila, hardly a mark, hardly an itch. Thanks, Babs, just wanted to share that!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  11:30:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm a BIG fan, Babs. I'm anxious to try planting it again in the spring and get it established in my herb garden.

I had my DH using it for the first time over the weekend...he calls it my voodoo juice. He ended up at the doctor's yesterday anyway, the change in weather is giving him bronchial issues and we were worried it might be pneumonia but it's not, at this point. Hopefully he'll be better in a few days.

So far I've been okay; I was dosing my own symptoms as well, and I hope I'm going to stay healthy through this coming season.

Jo

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Sep 18 2007 11:31:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  12:03:39 PM  Show Profile
"Voodoo Juice" too funny.. ;) I've posted for you a new topic on a really great plant. It's called Gumweed. If your family is the sickly sort and prone to bronchial junk, you should really check it out. :)

Babs

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  12:23:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh ho, ho. I'll be sure to check it out.

We are not normally the sickly sort, but it's always good to have some voodoo juice at the ready.

Let me tell you, I knew he was feeling bad when he chose to try it. He's seen me using it internally and externally for the last few months.
Off to learn about Gumweed...thanks!

Jo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Yarrow Tincture - A Summer Project Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page