Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Jessica
King Ontario
Canada
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  8:46:53 PM  Show Profile
hello fellow farmgirls,
I'm extremely excited to be involved in such a wonderful network of resources! i'm a true blue farmgirl, born and raised on a farm in Ontario, Canada. I'm currently attending the University of Guelph for Agriculture (majoring in Horticulture) and plan to return to the farm after graduation. I have always had a love of everything farmgirl ( just try to keep me outta the garden and kitchen!) In the last few years i have been gradually picking up more and more hobbies. I LOVE sewing, knitting, baking, horseback riding, and am currently working on my very first hand stitched quilt. After reading Mary Janes Ideabook last year i decided to start my own flower farm!It was a huge success and i loved every minute of it. I'm so looking forward to meeting new people and sharing ideas.
Be talking to ya'll

Live, Love, Laugh,

Jessica King

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  8:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the group. It sounds like you have a lot in common with alot of people here. I hope you will find your stay plesant.

welcome
sunshine

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  9:33:46 PM  Show Profile
Hello Jessica, you sound like a happy canadian girl! I was engaged to a limnologist, did I spell that right? He was from Stoney Creek, he passed away from a brain tumor. I loved my time in canada and that enthusiasm you have. You're in trouble with quilting, I just finished my 29th! The farms around Ontario are wonderful, and the syrup! I'm on my way to see my sister in Kichener soon, (transferred there with work..... We're from eastern washington and oregon. good luck to you Jessica! jo

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  9:35:40 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jessica! It is so exiciting to see young people into the farmgirl life. I assume you are young by your introduction! I am 32 with 4 children, but I love horticulture. I considered taking some classes at a local community college, but time & money just won't allow it at this time. However I did the next best thing, I got a part time job at a greenhouse. I think I learned more on the job training than I could from a class. Plus I got paid instead of paying them. Good luck in school and let us know more in detail about your hobbies.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  10:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jessica!!! I think you will love it here!! I learn so much from all these gals! You should post pictures of your quilt...we love pictures!! And sounds like you have some trueblue farmgirl hobbies like the rest of us..how fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  10:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Hi Jessica!! Welcome to the forum!! Im also a college student at Iowa state University. This place is full of great information...it has come in quite handy! Not to mention all of the wonderful people! I cant wait to get to know you!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  04:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jessica - glad to have you here, and lets hear more about your school and classes. And your farming interests! Happy quilting, too.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  04:55:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jessica and welcome to the best place on the net!! I'd love to hear more about your flower farm, a dream of mine!

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  05:53:50 AM  Show Profile
Many warm welcomes Jessica!! OOOh, a flower farm is also a dream of mine and my 8 yo dd. Of course, she would be picking all the flowers and we would never sell any!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 6 months!!
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  06:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, sure hope you enjoy all of this as much as we do! You have found a wonderful group! Wow! 29 quilts! That is wonderful! Keep up the good work!

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  07:51:49 AM  Show Profile
welcome to the group Jessica!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlfriday
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Brooke
Puryear TN
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  09:56:40 AM  Show Profile  Send farmgirlfriday an AOL message  Send farmgirlfriday a Yahoo! Message
Hello Jessica!
You sound like an amazing gal! Can't wait to hear about your adventures! ~brooke

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men."
H. Melville
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  4:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jessicia, great to have someone with your excitment here! I'm working on my first quilt too!! Enjoying it very much. Keep up you dreams and keep us informed of your adventures.
Kel
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  8:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Jessica! Welcome!!! I agree with the gals - a flower farm DOES sound dreamy!!! Wow, what a lot of experience you have and are getting now - I can't wait to hear about your farmgirl adventures. Welcome, Welcome!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

jking
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Jessica
King Ontario
Canada
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  09:44:38 AM  Show Profile
hi everyone, it was so nice to see all the replies to my introduction. What a wonderful place! in reply to some questions; yes, i am young (22), the maple syrup is excellent, and anyone that wants to inquire about the flower farm can email me any questions ( if i can do it , anyone can!). Since i'm a Hort. student i know quite a bit about herbs ( which i also grew abundantly this summer) flowers, fruits, veggies and native trees. Right now i'm taking a wonderful course on fruit crop production and during the field trips we get to sample lotsa yummy fruit! Also, me and my housemates are trying to gather up enough girls to form a new Farmgirl chapter because there isn't to many up here. Anyways, thank you again for all the responses, i'll post some pictures of the quilt and other good stuff when i figure out how! My email is included to get me personally, but you can also check it out at: www.grassrootsruralretreat.ca (Under the " farm" heading you find a little bit about the farm, and a very bad picture!lol)

Live, laugh, love, Jessica King
jess_king1616@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:31:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jessica, and a big welcome. Your interests are exciting, and we'll all benefit from your horticultural knowledge. Yeah for hand-did quilts. It's my passion. But, I think we all agree that all you mentioned is also ALL our passion! Looking forward to hearing more from you,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jessica: Please tell us more about your flower business. What kinds of flowers and plants? Any vegetable plants? You're going to be a real asset to our wonderful group! Susan
Go to Top of Page

jking
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Jessica
King Ontario
Canada
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  09:04:37 AM  Show Profile
hi susan, i planted lotsa annuals since it was my first year in business and i need results right away. I used flower like sweet peas, sunflowers, bachelor button, calendula, salipiglosis ( painted tongue), statice, baby's breath, etc. I also planted lotsa perennials to supprt the major part of the business for years to come. I used flowers like peonies ( my absolute favorites!), glads, gallaridia's, shasta daisy's, sea lavender, tulips and daffodils for the early market, etc. I did plant a large veggie garden too, pretty much anything I could get from Stokes Seeds. It was alot of work but it now have tonnes of preverves and the satifaction of making my own food!
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  06:32:52 AM  Show Profile
Welcome fellow farmgirl,
what kind of horses do you have? We have Haflinger Ponies on our farm.
Glad that you joined us!

Pennie

God bless Farmers
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  09:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
welcome jessica,
i believe you will be a great addition to the farmgirl family.
i have really learned alot from all the women here and hope to pick up some tips from you.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  09:57:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Jessica welcome.....I pop in and out of here...all depends on how I am feeling...and so far this week its been great....(its only Monday)..Love the idea of a flower farm...and herbs(know nothing about them)....Wonderful...You will Love it here,These ladies are wonderfulllllllllll...

newheart.......margie
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic excited new member Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page