YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  5:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Here's a picture of our sheep. We started out with Precious and her black ewe lamb. The lamb was killed by a cougar while they were next door clearing the garden. So we don't loan out our animals anymore!

Precious is a moorit/brown Shetland ewe.
The rest are Icelandic lambs from May this year.
Gus is the ram who was bit by a wolf last night. He's doing great with the Melaleuca and Frankincense treatment.
Cricket is black ewe(hiding in the house)
Duchess is a badger face ewe.

I'll get better pictures when they're less stressed out!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  6:47:46 PM  Show Profile
How Adorable! Sorry to hear about their encounters with wildlife. I hope Gus feels better soon!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  8:44:28 PM  Show Profile
They are amazing!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  8:53:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm really excited to make felted soaps all sourced on the ranch :)

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  11:48:00 PM  Show Profile
They are beautiful! Thank you for taking a picture and sharing it with us! So sorry about Precious's lamb and again, so glad Gus is ok. He is a handsome boy!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  02:02:51 AM  Show Profile
They are so sweet ... I love my Shetlands ...

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  07:51:42 AM  Show Profile
They are so cute. But that Shetland is adorable. I would like a few Shetland here but can't seem to find any. I have some Finn and Katahdin-Dorper. Sorry about your Gus. He seems to be doing much better. Has it bothered his eating being bitten on the mouth like that?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  10:05:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone, we love the sheep. They are so easy-going and simple compared to the goats we had! I always heard that sheep were 'dumb' but these ones sure don't seem to be. The goats were only smart enough to get themselves into trouble!

Teri- Precious was a bottle baby, named by the little girl who raised her. She is the sweetest (and noisiest) sheep we have. I have noticed that the Icelandic wool doesn't pick up and hold onto 'junk' (hay, burs, weeds, dirt, etc.) like the Shetland wool does. Is there a trick to help the Shetlands stay cleaner? I notice the difference in texture when I pet them, so maybe it just is what it is?

Kris- no, he eats like normal, thank goodness! He had a bit of a hematoma subcutaneously from the puncture forward towards his nose that I drained for him. It hasn't filled back up. I was rather impressed by the sheer volume of blood he shed. He is the biggest of the three, and I'm very glad for that! His clotting factors work excellently, and I'm happy with how he's healing :) By looking at him today, you have to know that he was injured to know anything is off. The flock is coming down off their high alert now, and I'm going to get them some grain treats when I hit the feed store today :)

Edited by - YakLady on Nov 01 2012 10:07:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  4:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Natalie,
I just really keep at my pastures ... hubby says I'm crazy out there digging and pulling any weed out!
Also if you use a comb and hackle on their fleece it really works much better than hand cards or a drum carder ...
Kris,
If you want Shelands ... let me know, we can work something out. I have a beautiful ram lamb right now, he is soooooo cute!

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Nov 02 2012 02:26:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  6:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Teri- Where does one get all the tools to process fleeces?

I think we're good for now. Originally, we were just going to keep two ewes and pay for them to be bred, but we lost the lamb, and Precious needed some friends soooo the Icelandics joined the family. I like both breeds, but I don't know if I want to keep two flocks, if that makes sense? Precious is dog-sweet, and has papers, so depending on how big Gus gets, she may need a new home. Don't want her getting hurt by a big boy!
Haha! You were offering KRIS shetlands ;) Somedays I just can't read straight! Disregard

Edited by - YakLady on Nov 01 2012 6:23:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  02:28:07 AM  Show Profile
Natalie,
it depends on what you want to do with your fleece ... Do you spin? I will em you later.

Teri

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  04:40:35 AM  Show Profile
My goodness that must have been scary. He really does look ok though. And cricket seems a bit shy. But, how cute they are together.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  6:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Natalie,

Now I see a farmgirl from Western MT. I just moved away from there. Dang! Bummer about your guy getting boogered by the wolf. Even knowing where he got nailed you can't tell in this picture. Glad it looks like he'll be okay. Cute sheep though. Someday soon I hope to have my own place and since I spin I wouldn't mind getting a couple. We shall see what I end up with though. Enjoy yours.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2012 :  8:03:17 PM  Show Profile
Aw, stinks that you moved! Thanks :) I like them a lot, and yes, Gus is looking good!

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  06:26:35 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful sheep Natalie. I admire you for the work you are doing with them. That is a lot of time and planning you are putting into them and it shows. I wanted to ask what is felted soap? Also I know very little about sheep but we used to show our dairy goats and after we would bathe them we would put old t shirts on them to keep them clean for show. I know that you are looking for a way to keep some of your sheep cleaner and it would mean all the time instead of just for 1 night till show time, but just something I wanted to share in case you can use it. I wonder though if it would put them in danger of getting tangled up and strangled too. But you would know more than I.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  07:03:57 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, Cricket is shy, but that's because she wasn't messed with much at her old home. So I don't hold it against her. I got them all some sheep grain, so they'll be coming around shortly :)

Thanks Laura! Well, the Icelandics get just as messy as Precious, BUT they don't seem to have anything actually stick to their fleece long-term... I much prefer their wool after observing them for a while! I'm not out there combing them out or anything, too busy for that. They are all doing great in the new pen. and since they're sharing fence line with the yaks, nothing is bothering them now :)

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  09:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Hi Natalie,
I am sorry to hear that you lost one to a cougar. But, your Duchess is soo cute! I love the markings on her face. I, too, was wondering what felted soap was....

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.

Edited by - ClaireSky on Nov 10 2012 4:19:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  4:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Felted soap is a normal bar of soap over which you lay roving and felt it, so it's like a wash cloth around the soap and you can use that in the shower instead of getting a mildew-y wash cloth. The wool discouraged mildew naturally :) And it's exfoliating!

I'll have to do a give away when I start making them!

Duchess is a badger face :) She's very pretty (and a little prissy, thus the name!)

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  4:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Natalie, I would really like to buy some of your soap when you get it made.

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  8:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Aw :) Thanks Julie!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2012 :  9:37:50 PM  Show Profile
Natalie, your sheep are precious. I had never heard of felted soap. Sounds good to me.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Our Sheep Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page