doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  8:00:52 PM  Show Profile
Mar, how are things progressing for your MIL.?

Here (hopefully) is a picture of the neighbors getting a shower yesterday afternoon.

GG
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  8:13:09 PM  Show Profile
P. S. My celery experiment died. Too hot. I set it outside and forgot it. I'll try it again when it gets cooler.

GG
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  8:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, I forgot to comment on your commissioned top. It is very cheerful. I can understand why your client is happy with it.

Holly, we call ibuprofen the Breakfast of Champions. I remember all the lumber you have to work with. Did much of it get used in your kitchen remodel? That just sounds like a dream. To have lumber just lying around. Or is it laying around... I have never been able to keep those homonyms straight. I am thrilled that you have an avid reader. I know how you will nurture that love.

Patty, your new raised garden looks great. Enjoy having special time with your grands. Tomorrow is Grandparents' Day!!

GG, The smocking you are talking about is just called "smocking" right? Or do you mean cross stitching over a gingham pattern? Either way, you will certainly have some takers, I'm sure. I'm sorry that your mom's quality of life has diminished so rapidly following the loss of your brother. You must both dread her passing and yet long for her to have peace. Luckily such matters are out of our hands and all we can do is react to what happens. Post lots of photos of your craft room. Everyone will be green with jealousy.

Dh and I are watching Sherlock Holmes. The one with Cumberbatch (sp?). I still prefer the cast of Elementary, but this is pretty interestingly put together, too.

I am saddened by Joan Rivers' passing, too. Dd and I saw her perform in Spokane and I purchased one of her necklaces for Dd. It is a favorite piece still even though it is maybe six years old.
mar

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  9:17:27 PM  Show Profile
GG, I usually go to Etsy and try to find similar items and note the prices. It will at least give you something to start with.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  9:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Holly, I meant to comment on the pillows. I splurged a few years back and bought myself a nice pillow (not that nice-I just mean it didn't come from WalMart like the others). I might/may have paid $100 or so. Anyway, it is truly wonderful and I have printed my name on the end of it with a black marker so NO one gets to use it but me. I'm afraid paying 7 grand would keep me awake at night and defeat the purpose. Maybe movie stars and royalty can afford that. No doubt Justin Beber has one.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  9:26:48 PM  Show Profile
I decided to clean and organize my sewing room. Over did it as usual. Ended up in bed for the rest of the day. I'll go at it again tomorrow and hopefully not over do it again. I had so many scraps and left overs from other projects. I'm having a hard time throwing all the scraps away. I'm thinking of maybe making pet beds with them. Another project to fit in.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2014 :  10:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, I'm having the same problem. I can not throw out the scraps. Let's just sew them together and make something out of them

Mar I'm trying to take a photo of one of the aprons. Have not washed and ironed them yet. I thought there was a particular name for this.

Bunny, get some rest. I have learned to pace myself.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile
GG, that is a gingham apron with cross stitch. Prices on etsy range from $12.00 to $24.00. It will depend on age mostly. Vintage gets a higher price. There were lots of them on etsy. So I would go for the middle ground.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  1:27:05 PM  Show Profile
GG, sorry to just pop in again..but the pic of your Mom's apron really cheered me. When DH's gma did that is the 70's it was gingham with cross stitch. I did something similar about the same time called chicken scratch. In fact, I bought some gingham about a year ago to try it again. Thanks for the memory.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  1:37:35 PM  Show Profile
GG...the cross-stich embroidery on gingham is called Chicken Scratch. Can't wait to see pics of the new craft room!

Bunny....congrats on getting your sewing room cleaned and organized. Wish I had a designated place to sew and craft. I either have a mess in the dining area and the bedroom (where my sewing machine is) or I'm not in the mood so I have everything put away so the place looks livable. The sewing machine I am using at the present is in a cabinet and I so love the cabinet because it was my MIL and when my hubby was on this plane he adapted my White to it. Not much of a machine but it serves its purpose! And I am able to use the pedal with my knee because it is attached to the inside of the drawer section!! Love that fact...no foot work!

Holly.....so glad you have a new reader in the family...it is so marvelous when children can appreciate books...nothing better. Something no one can take away and makes learning a pleasure. Good for your kiddo!! :)

Patty.....love the raised bed......and I'd love to have so many green beans....my favorite veggie....I really COULD eat them everyday!!Everyone...don't freak but I can munch on them raw and eat 'em cold.

Well...off to watch the da'Boys lose!! # minutes in and they are already down 7!!!!!!!!!!! Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!!!!!!

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  3:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the input on the apron. Hi, Judith, nice to hear from you. All three are a little different patterns. Chicken scratch is the key I needed to look it up. Thanks all!

Bunny, the doll makers might like your scraps. They use small pieces. I can't throw anything away

Going to heat up pot roast and make mashed potatoes and fried eggplant for supper.
Been working on the craft room all day. Finding more stuff I'd forgotten about. Crazy how much fabric I've bought over the years. About 5 small quilt tops to quilt and one big one. Also a bunch of hand appliquéd squares, each a different doll. And my grandmother's sunflower quilt to finish. Plus too many UFO's to mention. Why do I lose interest before I finish ? Does anybody else do that? There must be a name for a disorder where you can't seem to finish a project.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 15 2019 7:27:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  4:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today was a lovely fall day. Temperatures were chilly this morning but not unbearable. The day warmed up and shorts were comfortable. I finally finished all of the fencing on the young layer hen pen. Now it just needs a door on the gate. I am debating whether I want to use tent stakes to hold down the bottom of the fencing just to make extra sure that no one can sneak underneath for a free meal.

In the afternoon I took the littles to the bookstore to spend the money that Nana and Papa sent them. Then we went to the creemee stand.

Tonight was a friend's birthday so we went to the potluck. So many social events in one day.

I think G that if you check some of the pricing guides for antiques or elderly items it will help you get a ball park value. But, I think that you need to decide how much you want to get rid of the stuff , try to remember how much you paid and then just price it. Do you need to make a killing or do you just want to get rid of it?

Patty glad the grands could visit for a while. Nice for all of you.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  5:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Here I am. When I started the last post I was on the other page with GG's post just underneath Patty's pictures. I post and come back and there are all these posts on this page. Fascinating.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  6:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Holly I want to get rid of stuff but I don't want to overlook a killing to be made. For example, I have a doll making book that I bought years ago for ten dollars and I looked on eBay and because the artist has died and there are t any more of those particular books, it's now going for $180. A lot of stuff I don't really know what it is called, like the aprons, or, in some cases it was expensive when I bought it so I'd rather keep it than give it away. It's like those greedy people who show up at your garage sale at 7:00 in the morning even though you clearly state no early birds. They are just looking to make a steal and I do not like those people. I don't want to make their day. On the other hand if I see someone in real need, I will give it to them.

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 15 2019 7:28:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  6:44:34 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 15 2019 7:29:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  8:41:54 PM  Show Profile
GG--love the storm pictures. I drove across the river on Saturday to get gas (cheaper in Missouri) and a storm was heading my way. It was dark and there were flashes of lightning everywhere. I love the power of a thunderstorm. As for Scotland seceding from the UK--I have no opinion on that but sometimes I think it would be best for the state of Illinois if Chicago would secede and become its own state. Our governor spends so much time there that the governor's mansion in Springfield never gets used.
Bunny--I bet it feels good to get your sewing room organized. I've looked at some of your creations and they are neat. I don't have any extra money right now to buy anything, but if I did, I'd get something from you.
Holly--that's a lot of money for a pillow--does it come with a guarantee of sweet dreams? I have a sixty dollar contour pillow that I got for twenty dollars and I love it. Many years ago, I mistakenly received a Christmas catalog from Neiman-Marcus. They had a Barbie and Ken doll that were dancing the tango. Forget how much they cost--but it was a lot. The most expensive thing in the catalog was a gumball machine that was covered with jewels and only accepted real gold tokens. I think it was about $25,000.00 and that was twenty years ago.
Patty--love the raised bed. I fixed some beans from my garden tonight. I didn't get very many green beans but I had lots of the red noodle beans.
I saw my friend today whom I've known since college. I'm really starting to wonder about the church she goes to. This is the second time I know of where she's been reduced to tears and had to leave because she was so upset. She thinks the problem is herself. I don't see it that way. she reads books by all these self-help authors and thinks she should be like them. I think she should just be herself and forget what all those authors say. They don't know her--how can they possibly tell her how to live? For that matter, how can anyone tell her how to live? Only God can tell her how to live, and I'm not sure a lot of those people speak for God. they just think they do.
I made some pumpkin bread tonight and it's cooling in the kitchen. There's something so comforting about the scent of pumpkin.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  9:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Well said, Cindy. I like the way you write.

GG
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  9:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Patty
Where did you get all the jars? You can supply your county with all those beans. I canned some dilly beans. They are really good in case you want another option. LOL! You should get FGOM just for all the canning!

GG
Your poor mother. Is she aware her GD is ripping her off? Not that she could do anything about it.

Holly
While visiting my hospice patient today I saw she had a Cuddledown catalog. I had never heard of it before and didn't look at it. I guess I'll order some pillows. LOL!

Time for bed.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2014 :  5:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I read a book a long time ago by Wendy Kaminer about self help books. I can not remember whether it was a satire or a critique. It is probably out of print by now. I have met her. Well, actually I adopted her cat when she found herself a male partner who was allergic and she did not want to keep an apartment just for the cat when she shacked up with the male. I really liked him.

There is an author named Oriah Mountaindreamer who has written several poems. In one of them it says, What if who you are today is who you are meant to be? It would give self help people a pause.

I think that Quebec may try to secede again. It will probably not be successful again. In the past there was talk about Vermont joining Quebec as a country if they were successful we could be Canadian citizens. Every few years there is a series of debates that go around Vermont about seceding from the Union. It is always an interesting discussion to listen too.

Today was another lovely fall day. It was in the high thirties when I arose to do chores so I put on my long pants. By 9 I was wishing to be in shorts again.

I took the littles for a walk in the woods this afternoon. We really need to go everyday so they are not afraid and they can learn to enjoy the quiet of the woods. They play in the woods everyday but walking where they can not see the house is still nerve wracking for them. I forget about theri fears when I am not experiencing them.

I hope Jan checks in sometime soon.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2014 :  7:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I am always so busy.

This crop of first graders is pretty good. There is only one damaged girl and she is there only on Fridays. There is one smart, out of control boy and one spoiled girl. There is one boy who cannot read and can barely speak English because he lives in a Somali home. He will be talking a mile a minute by the end of the school year.

I just signed up for Car2Go. It is a car sharing service which allows a person to locate a small hybrid car nearby, drive it, park it anywhere and be on one's way. They are parked in this neighborhoodl frequently. I take my first ride in one tomorrow when I go out with Annette. She will be surprised.

I tried the self-help route over 20 years ago. I never stuck with it. I basically thought the goal was impossible and I expect that the authors are not very nice people anyway.

Here is a picture I took of the hula hoop loom at the state fair.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2014 :  9:01:15 PM  Show Profile
Holly, California has been having a similar issue. Northern California wants to split from Southern California. Southern calif. Has a larger population and voting always benefits them to the detriment of the north part of the state. There is actually a guy that wants to split the state up into six different states. It will never happen. Just think of all the new useless politicians.

GG I love your pictures!

Marie, the car2go sounds wonderful! There is something similar in Portland. I hope it works out!

Time for bed. Nite all.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2014 :  10:33:35 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 15 2019 7:31:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2014 :  1:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls, here I am. I have not posted in one whole month. We went camping not far from here and got all of our water and holding tanks cleaned out well. It was not a hard job at all. It was a very relaxing camping trip. The other day we cleaned out the car, washed by hand the car and the motorhome. Now, that was a chore. Sparkling clean now!!!! I have been going through stuff, trying to figure out what I can keep and what I need to get rid of. Started packing up, lots more to go yet. We gave our landlord 2 months notice. That was hard to do, we really love this house, but we do not want to live in this area anymore. Enough is enough.
I started a detox water treatment the other day, and I do think it is helping me. Seems that I can breath a lot better, and more energy, plus, I have been sleeping a bit better too. It is supposed to help with belly fat too, we shall see. The recipe is simple.
2 quarts of water
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 sliced cucumber, sliced (I peeled mine)
1 lemon, sliced
12 small spearmint leave. Place all ingredients in a large pitcher, let sit overnight in the refrigerator. Drink all of it the next day.
It is day 3 for me, and I just keep adding more water as I drink it. I think it will be good for another couple of days before I start a whole new batch.
We are still looking for the right RV park in a good location. I think we found one we both like in central Florida. I will be calling there tomorrow to see if they have openings for 6 months. We are both getting pretty excited to start all over. We are leaving here on October 25th, our 28th wedding anniversary. We will have a whole week to get down there. Will be stopping in Indiana for a couple of days to visit with a close friend of mine.
GG, Love the pictures you have been taking. Looks like you have some beautiful land there.
Marie, doesn't it seem like school started again so soon?
Holly, I love reading about all the adventures with the children. Hope they get over their fear of the woods soon. Maybe a compass would help to show them the way back home.
Bunny, congrats on finishing school. Now the fun begins in the sewing room for you. Hopefully you will get lots of sales for Christmas.
Mar, How are things going with you? Have you finished plans for MIL housing yet?
Patty, I love green beans, but prefer them frozen so they stay crisper. I eat them right off the bushes too. I love peas that way also. I missed my garden this year, used to be my therapy to go out and weed and pick.
Hi to all the rest of you. Will catch up with you soon.
Time to start supper. We have been eating good around here lately. Tonight is chicken alfredo. I should really grill out, since we have a 100% chance of rain tomorrow and then the highs are only supposed to be in the 50s. Autumn is in the air, but still nice here. The geese have been flying south, and the acorns are falling on our heads!!!! LOL!!!
More later,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  09:28:33 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back, Jan. I have really missed your posts. Sounds like things are going well for you and I'm so glad. Looks like you will be decorating a palm tree for Christmas this year for sure. I love it when dreams come true!

GG
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  12:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi All, I just talked to Patty and I told her I needed to stop by to let you all know I am still with the living...lol...I am not going to try to play catch up, since it says I haven't been here since January....didn't realize it had been that long. As always lots going on...but I am spending most my time crocheting items for the local nursing home. As I told Patty it amazes me that so many in the nursing home are all alone, they have no family or friends visit. So I am making things for them so they know someone cares and they also receive items at Christmas time. I hate for anyone to feel no one cares. I place an add in our local paper and asked for anyone that might have yarn cheap that they didn't want anymore, and told them what I was doing, I was lucky and had one woman give me a good bit of yarn that was her Moms. She said her Mom use to make lapghans for the VA and that she was sure that her Mom was looking down from heaven smiling at what I was using the yarn for. I wouldn't be able to do this if it wasn't for her kindness... :)...I am still doing a lot around the farm and so much more is going on that I will share on my next visit, hopefully it won't be as long....It is so good to read about what everyone has been up to....I have missed ya'll alot.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

My blog: http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pgmcgee/#

Edited by - Acelady02 on Sep 10 2014 1:03:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page