Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  06:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Prairie -- I think you were supposed to post that last bit and I was supposed to read it. My daughter is going through a breakdown right now and I love the idea of looking at it as a breakthrough. I am going to share that with her. Thank you. And thank you for being there for your friend.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  10:44:14 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, I hope your friend finds her way. You will be a good support for her.

Well goddess sisters of the iris, I used up all my spoons yesterday. Then took a new medication the doc said would help with hot flashes and hadnanvad reaction to it. I spent quite a few hours in the ER last night. I'm ok but a bit squirrel brained this morning. So I'm here, but a bit loopy.

I'll post more later when I'm doing better.

BTW, sold one of my fairy skirts yesterday. Yay!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  11:13:17 AM  Show Profile
Poor squirrel-brained Bunny! Don't you hate it when you think you're getting something to make things better and it just makes them worse. I hope they get the meds sorted out for you. No fun feeling bad and the ER is the last place anyone wants to be.

I am not surprised that you skirt sold -- your clothing is so original and creative!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  12:13:08 PM  Show Profile
I just thought I would drop in for a few minutes, DH is out of town, it is raining and I am lazy today. Read back through some of the post. Sad that everyone has so much dislike for their mothers.I love my mother. And I pray my only daughter never feels the way most of you do. And I for sure hopes that she would never post it publicly, if she did. We never truly know what our mothers have gone through or have sacrificed for us. Praying that the Lord softens your hearts and you can find a love for you mothers and possibly forgive them. I am sure they have regrets.
I have been busy with the spring things! Chickens and quail hatching. Planting my early garden. This year I did attempt to collect maple sap and make syrup. HUMMM! I should have done this years ago. We got a few new silkie chickens this spring. They are mainly for the grandkids to carry around and cuddle. We also invested in a bee hive and it has been an exciting adventure. We had ordered it early last fall and the anticipation had been crazy. I kept bees about 25 years ago and was nervous yet. :)
Pottery has consumed my life over the winter , besides spending as much time with my sister as possible, as she has healed from the accident and the loss of her leg. She is walking with her leg now with the assist of a walker. I took several classes on pottery, invested in a wheel and a kiln. I never knew how relaxing it could be. I keep promising myself to only make functional items. however once in awhile I just want to try something new and have some perfectly useless items. :) And how many coffee mugs or bowls can a person use? Whistles have been my passion since creating my first pottery whistle. I made over 100. Way to many...LOL. Have a wonderful afternoon. I see storms brewing across the country.

Enough whistles already!

Sculpture Garden Art made from a brown speckled clay.

She has an updo! Painter's tape to keep her feathers up so she can see.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  12:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Can a person really have too many whistles? They look so cute and colorful! Your chickie girl is a cutie, too. I saw a video recently (probably on facebook?) of a little boy squatting down with his arms wide open and this little hen just walks up and absolutely HUGS the little boy! Puts its feathery old head right on the boy's shoulder and lets him give her a big hug. It melted my heart to see -- we were never that close to any of our chickens until dinner time, I'm afraid.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  2:24:07 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 6:22:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  2:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Goddesses of the Iris,

I believe we all love our mothers and sometimes they frustrate the he** out of us.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  3:17:26 PM  Show Profile
that's exactly right, Marie. And we need a place to vent--we mostly don't use our real names and it's not the 6:00 news. We love our hubby's too, but sometimes we'd like to slap them up side the head. We all understand that and we don't take ourselves too seriously.

GG
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  3:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, to this day I can not eat Cornish game hens because someone once gave us two who had been made into pets. They were so sweet and they had names.

GG
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  4:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Aaaaaahhhhhhh G you are amused by the anthropomorphism of me and our old schnauzer. I think that means attributing human emotions to an animal. Any way Poopers would come into the house with his rear end hugging the ground and scurry to his bed and plop down. Who knows if it was the experience that exhausted him or the hairdo. I told C that he was embarrassed and eventually she stopped having a fit when I cut his hair for him. His name was Amadeus on his papers but we called him Poop. This is the dog that when he came as a puppy C called from work and asked where he was. I told her out in the yard running around. She said he needs to be on a leash. I told her if she thought I was going to put that dog on a leash and walk him five times a day for the next 12 years she was out of her mind. That dog came from her mother. The litter had all black puppies and one gray. She sent him to C to get him out of the area so people would not know that her female had produced a gray puppy. C said it was the only thing her mother ever gave her that she liked. We could get into how two faced her mother was but since she is dead there is no reason. Suffice it to say that with her death C finally gave up wishing that her mother would be proud of her. The woman was always polite and said she loved her each week when they got off the phone. But, the mean hearted woman never asked about C's family nor did she ever invite C to visit with her family and that hurt C to no end.

My mother died when I was 19 yo so I can only remember the good things she did and like to keep it that way. I never had to deal with her disapproval of my function or decisions as an adult and have no idea what she would have disapproved of anyway. My sister and I both agree that if she had lived our lives would have been richer.

I told a friend of mine about the spoons. She is living with a partially paralyzed stomach. The doctors do not know why it does not push the food through from her stomach to the small intestines. It causes her a lot of pain and nausea. She agreed that it was a great way to describe her day . She says it is especially difficult when people look at her and see nothing wrong. I am glad to have been able to share it with her.

This morning I was taking the bar off the doors to the pig stall. Usually I can lift it off one end and flip it over my head to the ground. It is rather long and cumbersome. It must have been stuck harder than usual into the far bracket because I flipped it up and hugged the wall so it would miss me when it came down and it came down on my head. I said some choice words and sat on the snow bank until the initial shock of the pain passed. DsC was with me and rubbed my back for a while in a comforting way. I was so happy he could show compassion. We are stepping forward in baby steps to being an emotionally healthy human being instead of the abused child he came as.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  7:42:50 PM  Show Profile
GG - I love you. Thank you.

Holly - I hope your head feels okay. I took a fall on a wet floor before Thanksgiving and cracked the back of my noggin pretty hard. I can still feel the sore spot - it was no fun.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  06:25:07 AM  Show Profile
Fellow Goddesses of the Gorgeous Iris -- I don't know if I mentioned this here or on some other board, but I have had trouble with those tiny little black ants in my kitchen off and on since I moved into His Dudeness' house last March -- so for a year, I guess. I had tried sprays and those little flat traps and "just ignore them" (advice from the Dude). Nothing seemed to work. The ants always kept coming back. I think I was killing the ones I could see, but the colony was still hiding somewhere. Lucky for me, ants don't give me the willies like they do for some people (I have spiders for that!), but I still don't want them crawling around my house and especially not on my kitchen counters. When we lost a whole box of the Dude's favorite crackers to the creepy little crawlers -- THEN it became serious business. So I started looking through the "green" boards here on the Sisterhood and found a homemade and more environmentally friendly ant killer. It was basically just sugar, water and a little Borax. I didn't have any Borax at the time, but Dude buys Boraxo hand soap by the case (literally) because he is a big messy man, so I used the Boraxo. (And since we are all over 50 -- let's sing the "BorAXo powdered HAND soap" jingle!) I had been keeping everything in plastic containers for several months, so I knew that the ants weren't getting into food anymore. I put the traps out (actually just jar lids) and for a couple of days, I still had to kill the odd tiny black ant when I would come home from work. Then I started to notice that the only ants I saw were dead or nearly so. At this point, which is maybe 10 days out -- I am not seeing ANY of the little critters. None. So I am declaring the Borax and sugar ant poison a grand success. Many thanks to whoever posted the "recipe."

I will repeat it here, in case any of you might need it.

Use an old saucepan, as large amounts of Borax can be toxic if ingested (ha ha ha ha-- the ants know this now!)
Put 1 cup of sugar, 1 Tablespoon of Borax, and 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan and boil for 3 minutes. Let it cool. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Pour into a shallow container so that the ants can crawl over the lip easily. I used jar lids. I put a couple of traps out -- one in the corner of the counter where I usually saw the most ants and another one next to the sink, where they seemed to go for water. The theory is that the ants come eat the bait because of the sugar. Then they take it back to their colony and spread the death around. It takes a few days, but this seems to kill off the ants, and if it kills the colony, that would be great. I know lots of bugs are beneficial, but they can jolly well be beneficial outside.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  06:59:31 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 6:24:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  09:14:07 AM  Show Profile
I have used boric acid in college when I lived in a run down rooming house. Everyone in the house had their own method of killing cockroaches. One gut would whack them with a flip flop. He called himself the Cockroach Terminator. One lady would squirt them with dish soap while they crawled around in the sink and wash them down the drain with hot water laughing evilly as she did it. I once stabbed one with a sharp pencil. Good Times.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  10:22:23 AM  Show Profile
So the theme that I am sensing here is that "bo -- whatever" is a good bug killer. Borax, Boraxo, boric acid.... Bobo the Clown -- oh now wait! That may just be me and my unnatural fear of clowns kicking in.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile
GG, I'm ok. The medicine just made me feel really bad and my blood pressed spiked quite a bit. It was actually an antidepressant that also helps with hot flashes. I won't be taking that anymore.

I hate ants. Spiders, I can deal with. At least small ones. I can smell ants and it gives me the willies.
GG, I think you moving away from the creepy crawlers is a good idea. I'm sure you will still have a few, but not like in the country.

I'm having my last fabric sale on Saturday. Hopefully I'll make a little more money to stash away. I'm tired of looking at it all.

Marilyn, I'm assuming that was an apron you made. I love it!

Not much else going on here. The weather is up and down again. Rain then sunshine, then rain again.,
I should know tomorrow if I got the job I interviewed for.

Holly, hope your head is better.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  5:32:59 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Yes, thank you my head only hurts if I touch it or brush it with my hairbrush. I am more careful now opening the door to the pig stall.

Bunny I am glad you are past the nasty reaction to the medication. I hope the material sale goes well.

I did not know about the borax and may forget between now and the warmer weather when the little black ants march across my floors and cabinets so I may have to ask again.
I was singing the bor AX o powdered hand soap song as I was reading your post, Marilyn. lol

I am so glad that I live where there are not a lot of the nasty creepy crawly, jumpy critters. When people were pissing and moaning about the weeks on end below zero weather I reminded them that we do not have the nasty chiggers and poisonous snakes because of the too cold temperatures. Got to look on the bright side to get through.

We did school work and chores today. The weather guessers say we are to get temperatures up to the fifties over the weekend. Shall we take bets on if they will be right? or even close.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  7:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Fellow Goddesses of the Iris,

We had rain mixed with snow today. This is not unusual for Minnesota.

Tomorrow I have to pick up some medications before heading out to punch goblins with my bare hands. (For those who do not know, I play Dungeons & Dragons two nights a week.)

I have stuff to do and I don't want to do any of it. I am aware that once I start I will feel good about getting it done. It's all about getting started.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  9:29:52 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 6:25:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  9:41:18 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 18 2019 6:26:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  9:43:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tall Holly

Good evening everyone,

Yes, thank you my head only hurts if I touch it or brush it with my hairbrush. I am more careful now opening the door to the pig stall.

Bunny I am glad you are past the nasty reaction to the medication. I hope the material sale goes well.

I did not know about the borax and may forget between now and the warmer weather when the little black ants march across my floors and cabinets so I may have to ask again.
I was singing the bor AX o powdered hand soap song as I was reading your post, Marilyn. lol

I am so glad that I live where there are not a lot of the nasty creepy crawly, jumpy critters. When people were pissing and moaning about the weeks on end below zero weather I reminded them that we do not have the nasty chiggers and poisonous snakes because of the too cold temperatures. Got to look on the bright side to get through.

We did school work and chores today. The weather guessers say we are to get temperatures up to the fifties over the weekend. Shall we take bets on if they will be right? or even close.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

GG
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  9:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Holly and Marilyn, we have soft hearts and hard heads.

GG
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  9:52:47 PM  Show Profile

GG

Edited by - doll58maker on Apr 09 2015 9:55:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  06:51:44 AM  Show Profile
GG -- I do love the pictures of your flowers! We are just beginning to have daffodils blooming here, but it is supposed to be in the low 70s today -- rain, but still, I will take the warmer days. The trees are starting to get their little mist of green and the Amish farmers are spreading manure, so we know that spring is here, even if it has been chilly so far. Everything will explode at once! And I am quite glad that I have a hard head. ha ha

Bunny -- Glad you are mending. Yes, that was an apron -- I used the pattern from Mary Jane's book to do the Jubilee one. Let us know when you get that job. I hope it will work well for you.

I am at work on this dreary day -- got out early this morning to get my mile in before customers started arriving. I love walking in this little town.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile
Ladies -- Customer just came in to make a payment and we were talking about spring and allergies. He said that he had heard that we should be eating honey from as close to our local area as possible, so that we will be eating pollen from the things around us -- supposed to make us desensitized to our local allergens. Anyone else heard this? I eat honey anyway, but I would be glad to up my intake if I thought it would keep the sniffles at bay!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page