Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 408

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2015 :  5:30:27 PM  Show Profile
I finally got my computer back this afternoon. Good thing--I was having withdrawal. I don't watch TV so without a computer I go nuts. And it was hard reading everything on my Nook, even with reading glasses. When you enlarge something, it goes off the page. I had some issues with connecting to a network so I'm frazzled and will keep this short.
Marilyn--I heard a joke once: "When I was twenty-one, my father (or mother, or whoever) didn't know anything. After twenty years, I was amazed by how much the old buzzard had learned". Time is the best teacher. And revenge.
Holly--is that a cedar waxwing in the picture? I don't think we have them here, if we do I've never seen one.
Steph--maybe you'll get your farm sooner than expected. that would be wonderful. I wish I lived in the country--I want some mini llamas.
Bunny--hope the peace is holding up.
G--definitely get a second opinion. And by the way, my aunt had some extensive dental work done in Mexico when she was staying in Texas for the winter and it cost less than half of what she would have paid in the states. The dentist was an American and her dentist here said the work was done very well. They say clove oil helps with tooth pain.
Mar--wish I had lots of tomatoes. I need to go out and pick beans before it gets dark.
Good night,
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  05:54:35 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:17:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  09:53:55 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:06:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Maybe you should build a big barn for hubs to hang out in so you can keep your small house.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  12:46:57 PM  Show Profile
There ya go, Marie. They like their own space, even a shed will do. There is a running joke in my family, every man s gotta have his own shed.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  1:07:32 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:18:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  1:21:27 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:07:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  1:30:46 PM  Show Profile
Satisfying him sounds easy. Lowell doesn't know what he wants to do after he quits working. I would love to get him a studio for all his music stuff. I'd get him a computer so he could download music to listen to and play chess on. I believe that he would not like to be away from me though. AWWWWWW!

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  2:11:22 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 14 2015 8:41:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  2:56:34 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:19:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  3:33:28 PM  Show Profile

One guitar is not pictured.

I got you beat - 4 electric guitars, 1 acoustic guitar, 1 electric bass, 1 electronic drum set, 1 marimba, 1 Mickey Hart hand drum, 2 amplifiers and PA. There is barely enough room for me. LOL

Marie, Sister #5142

Edited by - churunga on Aug 13 2015 3:41:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  3:48:20 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:19:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

sauceygirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Joanie
Torrance California
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  4:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone. I'm Joanie. I'm new to the Sisterhood and and have been browsing all the forums. I just happened upon this one and since I am 59, I guess I qualify. I have been reading the last few pages of posts and was particularly drawn to Marilyn's posts regarding being treated like you don't know anything. Perhaps the conversation has moved on but I just wanted to let you know, Marilyn, that I know exactly how you feel. I get treated that way at home and at work. And I want all of you ladies to know what kind, encouraging, uplifting words you all have for each other. It's wonderful. I had never heard of Mary Janes Farm until last week when I received an ad in the mail inviting me to subscribe to MJF magazine. I almost didn't because I get so many magazine, I thought, do I really need another one? I am sooooo glad I did and found out about the Sisterhood. Hugs & Kisses to you all.

Joanie #6596 Trying to live a quiet, simple life in the big city.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  5:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Joanie! We love getting new farm girl sisters here. We do support each other the best we can. Lots of gabbing, venting and a bit of bit$hing too.

G, your painting is coming along beautiful!! You know what might be fun and sell well would be painted silk scarves. You would do the water color technique but with paint that doesn't wash out. Dharma trading company has the plain white scarves and paints.

I'm tired from work. I sewed wedding dresses. They are so stressful because they are very expensive and no room for booboo's. I'm teaching a sewing class tomorrow so that will bring some extra money. Then out to the boonies again with my blind Doxie charges for the next three nights. Plus I have my kitty across the river for 9 days. So lots of extra cash for my California savings!!

Nap time..later goddesses.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  6:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I like your practice watercolor painting. I like the way the colors flow together. Gee you only have the B to interrupt you and he did. He must have missed you terribly while you were away at class. lol I will be interested to learn what plants you use for your xeriscape.

When my sister was getting married she told my mother she wanted to buy a wedding dress so my mother, who was sick, would not have to make her dress. They went to Boston looking for a dress. They didn't find one so my mother did make it. I would come home from college on the weekends to hand sew pearl beads onto her veil and dress. I do not envy you Bunny sewing a wedding dress. The material is slippery and you are so right it is expensive.

I am glad you have your computer back, what a relief. I am glad you are typing again.

Good luck on the land purchase. I hope it is just what you want. The house is a good size. You could put your children when they visit in the barn in a bunk bed arrangement. lol Make sure you have enough water.

Welcome, Joanie. I like your screen name.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  6:48:10 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Joanie! You'll love it here. Do not be afraid to contribute. We are a lively bunch.

I forgot about the keyboard.

Gypsy - That painting is so lovely.

I have done a bit of work this week: laundry, dishes (twice), gardening, untangling yarn (the cat peed on it and I had to wash it so now it is a big pile of a tangled mess). I will be making crock pot soup tomorrow before I go out punching goblins with my bare hands (Dungeons & Dragons). It is interesting that both the characters I play have a skill in herbalism. I've been researching and collecting recipes to use in the game. Fascinating!

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  7:13:53 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:07:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  9:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Steph, I'm from California and my son lives there. I lost everything in the economy crash and had to move to Oregon to my moms. My youngest is in the Marines and will move back there when he gets out in 3+years. So I'm saving money to possibly buy an RV to live in and hopefully a years worth of money to get me by until I can find work.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  9:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Tonight's post is on the kindness of neighbors. I went to my parents' house tonight for supper and noticed the grass was pretty tall. My mom said my brother was coming over on sunday and would cut it then. We were eating when there was a knock on the door. The lady who lives next door, whom my parents had never met before, told them that she was a phone nurse (not quite sure what that entails) and when she had talked to my mom on the phone, she realized they were neighbors. She had a really nice riding mower and asked my mom if she needed the yard mowed. My mom told her my brother was coming over on sunday..to make a short story short, she mowed the back yard (where the grass was especially tall--a good place for snakes, including copperheads)and I talked to her and was thanking her and she said when she realized my father's condition, she felt compelled to help. she said she lost her father eight years ago. I know my mom will try to pay her for it, and she won't accept it so I'm going to bring a gift of some homemade farmgirl crafts next time I go over. Her name is Connie and she and her husband have two campers--what would make a nice glamping gift? If my parents had a riding mower I could mow their yard but my mom says there is no room for a riding mower in the garage. There is a very old shed out back but the door may not accommodate a riding mower, and the shed's so old it's impossible to keep locked. I'm so glad the neighbors care enough to want to look out for them. Gives me one less thing to worry about. My dad used to mow the yard with a push mower but since it's one acre, he would do different sections on different days. He just can't handle it anymore. He spends a lot of time sleeping in his chair. Anyway, that's what I've always liked about "country" people--they're always willing to help a neighbor. That's the environment I grew up in and the values I learned when I was young. I'm glad the culture still exists, when so much else has changed. That's my happy story for tonight.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  08:31:42 AM  Show Profile
The water and pasture sounds great!! About time you find out if they accepted your offer, right?

Bunny, I love your painted scarf idea for G! That sounds so elegant.

Holly, you must want to die laughing at us for complaining that the ONE male in our households is so disruptive to our concentration when you have oodles of the "species" running around begging for your attention. I guess they just don't get less needy as they age.

I just picked 2 buckets of tomatoes. More sauce is in the works. It looks like we are getting a sprinkle today. No dnA today or tomorrow so that gives me a lot more morning to myself.

I feel tired and want a break. But, it doesn't look like there's one in my future.

Marilyn, have a safe trip.

Joanie, welcome!! So excited to have you posting.

You girls with musical partners...I don't think I envy you!

Mar
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  08:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, that's a great story you shared. I am sure your gift of handmade goodies will bee very appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  10:24:44 AM  Show Profile
I like to have music in my home. Every morning Lowell gets up and sings while he gets ready for work. Sometimes he just scats or sings silly words. Sometimes he sings cover songs and other times he sings songs he is working on. Frequently, he will grab a guitar and show me the particulars of chord changes or musical theory. Lowell frequently plays along with the sound tracks of shows. When I was watching a lot of Law and Order, he would always play along with the theme music. After 9 PM, he sets up his recording studio equipment and shuffles sound or creates a rhythm sections. This produces no sound I can hear. On Sunday afternoons, the band comes over and I head to the bedroom with the dogs and cat.

I go to the gynecologist on Tuesday next. I hope nothing is seriously wrong. If it is, I will have to train Lowell how to properly take care of me. Wish me luck.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

sauceygirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Joanie
Torrance California
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  10:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Thank you for the warm welcome. Prairiehawk, I really enjoyed your story. That's one reason why I want to get out of the city. Everyone is too busy to get to know the neighbors. I admit, I am guilty of that too. Living here is just too fast of a pace and I am just so tired of it.
Bunny, I'm sorry you lost everything in the crash and I pray you'll find a job soon. I have relatives in Oregon. My mom moved there with her family during the depression. I wouldn't mind retiring there. Thank your young Marine for his service. My youngest was in the Marines from '04 to '08. He got out just as the economy crashed and couldn't find a job. He went to school for awhile. Anyway, keep us updated on how he is doing. Also, did I read right that you have a blind Doxie?
I wouldn't mind some glamping ideas. We are going camping in Yosemite the week after next. We don't have a camper or trailer yet. Still using a tent but that is another one of my dreams. To have a cute little teardrop.
Joanie

Joanie #6596 Trying to live a quiet, simple life in the big city.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  11:31:58 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:20:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker