True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  5:23:03 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I do not know how you all who live in the climates with hot summers live through them except I guess you escape into air conditioning. Today was in the 90's in the afternoon. In the morning we split wood and moved some into the barn. Slowly and surely we are filling up the space. Technically we have enough wood in for this winter now. But, I like to have enough in incase the winter is exceptionally cold like last winter. The old Farmer's Almanac says it is supposed to be colder and snowier than last year. I also like to get in enough in for a start for next year.

The drama club just returned from ten days un Edinburgh and London. She had a great time. She said she tried haggis and it wasn't too bad. They performed a play they had prepared three times. She said it was in a tiny theater. I am not sure whether it was a contest or a showing.

I think it is perc as in percolate.

Do you core the apples before the horses eat them. ddK had a riding teacher who read there was arsenic or some other poisonous element in appleseeds and she cored each and everyone before she let any of her 6 horses eat them. They did not freely graze around any apple trees. I thought she was a little obsessive compulsive.

Marilyn, I am sorry the Dude's brother passed. I am glad he went quickly and I am glad the Dude and his brother had a good relationship to celebrate. I hear you about driving long distances. I have a friend in Maryland whom I would like to visit but the drive is so daunting I have put it off. Maybe flying would be better.

mar I am glad you, the Coco man and the MIL can still laugh together. that the stress of having her live with you comes in waves and is not constant.

Beginning and endings are what life is all about. I am glad you and the B are getting through it together. As sad as it will be to not have the country property I think it will be a relief as well.

The green house is not finished yet. I am still waiting for the roofing to arrive.

DdR got into the gorilla glue when he was creating. He must have used his hands to smear the glue on the board to put on the pieces of glass he found. His hands have that nasty stiff blackness on them. He has scrubbed and scrubbed them and is not happy he has to just wear it off. It is good he did not hold his hand shut as it dried.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  6:06:22 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:29:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  6:24:16 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:30:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  10:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn--sorry about the Dude losing his brother. But if he went in his wife's arms, that's a consolation. And I believe we can still talk with the departed. A priest I knew died and I talked to him and something happened that could only be explained by divine intervention. Not to make light of a serious subject, but death is not the end. Sad, but not final. I hope Dude tells him how much his life meant--it's consoling to the person who has passed on.
Holly--that Gorilla glue is sticky. I glued my finger to a board once and had to pry it off--my finger felt numb for over a week. And yes, I stay inside where there's a/c when it's hot. It's strange--several years ago when we had our hottest summer ever, it didn't bother me so much cause it was also very dry. But usually we have a lot of humidity and that's what I can't stand. And when it's humid we have lots of mosquitoes. I get bit every time i go outside.
G--the fevers I get may very well be caused by an allergy. I was sneezing like heck this morning. I don't know what in my bedroom I could be allergic to. Your trip to Scotland sounds exciting. I hope you can rest during your flight and not experience too much jet lag.
Mar--I'm jealous you have so many tomatoes. Mine have been pitiful this year. I hope I get enough next year that I can make some marinara sauce.
I went to a poetry reading tonight in St. Louis. I avoided the interstates cause my car apparently has a bad front wheel bearing that needs replaced. So I drove on the slow roads. I got a recommendation for a good mechanic, just need to call and make an appt. For some reason, August is always my worst month for bills. Computer breaks down, car breaks down, in addition to the other bills. I did get some of my Christmas money early so that helps. Work was busy today. I think the people wanting to be president are the worst bunch of losers we've ever had. Just my opinion. I'm jaded by them.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  08:36:44 AM  Show Profile
We are sisters on here and we support each other no matter what. But we know if we talk about religion or politics we will step on somebody's toes.
I used to be able to talk with my kids about politics and we could agree and disagree, and have some great, informative dialog. But my daughters husband and my son's wife are both "in your face" nasty if you dare to disagree. Like my mom and her religion. So the only person I talk politics with is my husband, and fortunately we are absolutely in sync on what we believe. I will just say that we are both worried.

I am a political junkie and I spend my free time studying these politicians, reading their books, researching who they are, not who they say they are.

But I will never comment on here. Same with religion. Other than a casual remark.

Edited by - doll58maker on Aug 18 2015 08:37:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  09:10:42 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, sad about the Dude's brother. The Dude is lucky to have such a conscientious partner such as you in his life. I know you will do all the right things.

Holly, I usually get I trouble with crazy glue. It always gets on my fingers. I'm worse than the kids.

Not much going on here. Just working and pet sitting. I didn't sew this weekend. I was just too tired from my pet sitting. I spend the night with the Doxies and I never sleep well. I have a 9 night stint coming up with them. I'm not looking forward to it. They are very needy little dogs. One whines constantly for me to throw her ball. The other wants to be up on the love seat with me. So I don't have room for my computer or handwork projects. It is not the most comfortable house or bed. The bed is terrible! It is really soft and has a big dip where the lady sleeps. The dog takes up the rest. They will not let me sleep past 6:30am. They whine and pace around until I get up. Plus my truck eats up a third of my fee in fuel just to get out there and back. I still make more than I spend, but I'm wondering if it is worth it.
Things are doing ok with sister. I just try to stay out of her way. If I let my guard down, that's when she goes off. Especially when things are going good. Then all of a sudden, wham! She changes before your eyes into a demon. She is trying to get a job. She grew up here so knows lots of people. Fingers crossed.

Time for work. Later all!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  10:31:32 AM  Show Profile
I have just come back from my peek and (nasty) poke. I had an endometrial biopsy. OUCH!! Ouch!! ouch!!! There were three doctors in with me: an older gentleman who was really sweet, an intern who is specializing in gyne and an intern in rotation. The lady specializing in gyne did the dead. I held onto the arm of the rotating intern and the old guy assisted. It hurt so much that I was vocalizing. The older guy stood beside me after it was over and held my hand and hugged me on the way out. I am scheduled for an ultrasound on Friday and will see the doctor again next week. God, what an ordeal. I found a can of baked beans and a can of vegetable soup at the bus stop. I believe I will have the beans for lunch.

I always feel so vulnerable after a procedure like this. I called Lowell and told him what they did and what would happen next. He kept asking me over and over again what happened and what would happen next. After I told him for the third time, I hung up. What I wanted to hear was an understanding of my painful experience. Once again, only his pain matters. What a @#$%&^()*&%@!!!

That least temperatures have gone down to the mid 60's and a light rain is freshening the air.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  12:51:26 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:32:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  1:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals,
I guess I've been missing in action too long. Since we got back from our trip to Michigan, we have been so busy doing some landscaping and planting here. It is so hot, been in the 90s with rain every afternoon. Thursday we got our RV hard piped for the sewer, that was not too bad of a job. Saturday our RV shorted out and we almost had a fire. We have been without electricity since. The part was supposed to be in today, but now we found out it will not be here until tomorrow. We just bought a freezer Friday, and with all the ac we have been running, with 2 refrigerators, and the new freezer, we just had too much on one circuit. Now we are really roasting here without AC. Cold showers and the pool are helping to stay cool. Thank goodness we still have our motorhome and we have that plugged in. I would never live without my coffee in the morning. We are finding out just how hot it does get here in the summer. We may leave next year for a few months and do some travelling after all.
Marilyn, sorry to here about Dude's brother. I am sure he is thanking his lucky stars that he has you for support. You sound like me about travelling. I do not make a very good passenger, especially on the busy highways. It took us 6 days to get o Michigan, 9 days there, then we pushed it and got home in 5 days. Now we are done travelling for awhile.
G, I can imagine how excited you are getting for your vacation. I am sure you will enjoy it very much.
Mar, I miss not having a garden this year, and all the tomatoes. I love tomatoes on toast, one of my favorites. I think they plant tomatoes here in the middle of winter. That is when I see the plants for sale in the stores. Don't work too hard.
Bunny, At least you are keeping busy and making some money. Hope you are able to put some away. We are all rooting for you too be able to fulfill your dream of moving back to California.
Holly, my, you do have a lot of land. You are such a hard worker.
Cindy, That was nice of your parents neighbor to help them. And you bringing them a gift of food. There are still some thoughtful people left in this world of ours. We are from a small town, and not much happening there. Here, there is so much traffic and crime. We do love all the shopping and restaurants here that we did not have back home. There is just about everything we need here, and what we cannot find here, we can order from Walmart online and pick it up at the store right next door to us here. We just ordered and received a cordless lawn mower from there. We did not need one, but we have a double lot here and we like to keep it trimmed short, so we decided to keep it up ourselves. Good exercise!! LOL!!!
Steph, How did it go with the cleanse? I am thinking of doing that also, we shall see. How is your garden going?
Marie, That sounds very painful. I hope everything turns out good and you do not need any more painful procedures like that. No fun at all. Make Lowell fix his own dinner tonight!!!!
I know I am missing someone. Hope you are all having a good day so far.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com

Edited by - jan49829 on Aug 18 2015 1:11:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  2:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Yea, Marie, that sucks. I hope the ultrasound is much easier. Next week? And then you will know a course of action that will relieve you? Thinking of you.

Jan, It sounds like you showed up at just the wrong time weatherwise! I hope you get all hooked up pronto!

Holly, With wood and hay, it's always "Some's good. More's better." No. I don't take the seeds out of the apples. They also like watermelon and cucumbers. Will eat zucchini, but they would rather I left it out. Any kind of bread, pasta, grains... Corn,including the cob. Our horses are the equivalent of mutts. Very healthy because they aren't purebreds! Especially the mare.

I just heard dnA go by on her bike. That annoying horn gives her away...and saves me from having to say no.

A new farm store opened here today. dh got a new pitchfork, named a dumplin' fork. I got to get the last new one. A pretty periwinkle was my choice. dh chose a wine colored mucking utensil. Very exciting stuff. He also got new muck boots. His previous pair had very deep tread and really shed mud everywhere. These will be a lot less messy.

Cindy, I just never seem to have the "right" amount of tomatoes. Know what I mean?

mar
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  4:15:31 PM  Show Profile
I will be having two ultra sounds. One will be pressed on the skin and the other will be trans vaginal. The lawmakers in WV wanted pregnant women who wanted/needed an abortion to have that done in order to maybe persuade them not to have an abortion. I wonder how horrible that will be. God, they just have to stick stuff up the hoo-haa.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  5:30:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh Marie, I did the ultrasound up the hoo-haa. It was terribly humiliating. My dr and the nurse were not very considerate. I hope your people do better. I'll be sending good thoughts your way for sure.

Jan, I'm so sorry about you having to deal with the heat! Good thing you have your other motorhome for the food items. I think I would head somewhere else for the summers. Hard part will be finding somewhere cost effective.

I think my Doxies...one was born blind and the other is just going blind from age. She does have one bad eye that has always been blind. She usually gives me a little extra for gas but this time she didn't. My 9 day stay will be a pain because I work every day so I will have to travel to town every day.

Good news...I get to go to the fashion market in Portland next month. It should be fun. She does let me chime in on suggestions. Our styles are very different and I think she likes to have my input.

I have a friend that got laid off at the college library here. She finally got another job in Washington so her friends are giving her a going away party tonight. I need to get ready.

Later sister goddesses!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  6:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Holly you mentioned the heat. Here is how Penny deals with it. Her short summer haircut helps.

Edited by - doll58maker on Aug 18 2015 6:12:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  6:15:14 PM  Show Profile
The days are already getting shorter.
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  6:40:25 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:04:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  06:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. We are muddling through. Today there's a viewing for the family, which His Dudeness would rather not attend, but will, of course. Then tomorrow morning is the funeral. We have been trying to get Brother's Model A running so we can have it outside the church for the services. I had the florist make up a spray to go across the hood in front of the windshield. Kind of like a "riderless horse" kind of thing. We stopped at the house this morning to see if the battery on the car had charged and talked to SIL for a minute. She woke up at 3 this morning and had been going through papers ever since. She said she would try to get some sleep a little later on. She is doing okay.

I told Dude last evening that I wanted to be with him to support him, but that I didn't want to butt into anything that was not my business, so he needs to let me know what his wishes are. He said I was his family as far as he is concerned, so he wants me with him. All this funeral business has us making resolutions to get our affairs straight and pre-pay things and have our wishes in writing so neither one of us has to deal with questions when our time comes. I had a horrible nightmare the other night that I came home and he was gone. Our house was full of people (his ex, etc.) who wouldn't let me in. I kept asking for him, but they kept telling me that they were taking care of everything and that I should just go on. I wanted to get some pictures of him to keep with me, and they said "No, those aren't yours." It was horrible!!!!

The two Sisters are sharing executrix duties for Brother's will. Many years ago, before he married, he had put in his will that he was leaving $10k to each of his nieces and nephews, since he had no children of his own. A very thoughtful and generous gesture, and the kids were all coming up on college age, etc. Well, Dude got a copy of his revised will, which was just updated in May of this year, and the provision for the nieces and nephews had been removed. Everything is left to his widow now. Dude was worried about it, because Elder Sister evidently knew about the provision for her son, and Dude is afraid that she is going to pitch a fit and make bad feelings. I asked Dude if any of the nieces and nephews had ever dropped Brother a birthday card, or stopped by to see him, or called him, or sent him a Christmas card, or anything besides a graduation announcement -- read "Please send monetary gift." It was probably not the most diplomatic thing I could have said, but the "kids" are all done with college or whatever now, and it was up to Brother how he wanted to leave things. He and his wife had just celebrated their 10-year anniversary on Friday before he passed on Saturday. Her children and grands had folded him right into their family and there were new grands who only knew him as their grandfather, so I can understand why he would want to make sure they were taken care of. The Elder Sister once called Brother's wife a "gold-digger," so I know she will have fits!!! Youngest Sister is a sweet and gentle person and I know she will try to make Elder Sister behave. Sigh. I wish people would behave as if their departed loved ones are watching them. I am so glad that I have no part in all of this!!!

In better news, I spoke to my Daddy last night. They are planning to fly from Idaho to Indiana to spend a month at Christmastime with Daddy's only surviving sibling, my aunt. I asked him what the oncologist had said and he said Doc told him that his cancer was in remission, and that he was done with treatments for now, so go ahead and have a great visit -- there are doctors and hospitals in Indiana, too. That was the best news I had heard all week!!! He is in no way cancer free, but it has stopped growing, so that is a wonder.

I am back at work and should get some stuff done before Rotary at noon. Then we'll see what we will see, as my mother used to say.

Happy day, everyone.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  08:11:59 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, what wonderful news for your dad! I hope he has a wonderful trip. I'm sure his energy will return and he can enjoy life to the fullest.
Death seems to bring out the worst in people. I think most of us here have dealt with it. Hang in there. At least it has the Dude and you thinking about the future. It can get very messy for whoever is left.

My sister has two job interviews this morning. Fingers crossed! One is at staples "management". She can't spell, type or do math...but she can manage people. Go figure. I can't even get an interview and I have two AA degrees.

Off to work.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  08:24:21 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:04:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  11:38:56 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 14 2015 8:47:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  12:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Steph -- that sounds like a very very good idea! I have just the Dude and my daughter, so it's not like there are a whole bunch of people to leave instructions for.

We just came back from the family viewing for Brother. It was just the widow, a friend (whose home Brother passed at), Dude and me. The funeral home here in town is wonderful! Brother looked very much like himself and they had done a great job on the photo/video thing. She had the closest thing to a pine box that they offered, so he looked very comfortable. Several years ago, when their father passed, they were at the funeral home looking at caskets and they were just so ornate and foo-foo ... Brother drove up the road and bought a plain pine box from the Amish woodworker and that was perfect for him. He would have HATED putting all that expense underground. Brother was a pretty simple-living guy as well, and this casket looked good for him.

So now tomorrow will be the actual services, and will make for a long day. Dude will be picking the widow up in the morning and driving her to the church in the Model A that Brother drove her home from their wedding in. That should dispel any idea of dry eyes for tomorrow!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  12:28:32 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, the service sounds perfect. I am glad to hear that his wishes are being followed. I'm with you about the nieces and nephews. Helping for college is one thing...just handing it out because everyone expects it is another. I do hope you get your wishes down and let everyone know. Your dream is telling you that that is in your mind...and with that group, it should be! The ex is who I am thinking about, not the children.

Steph, I hope all is ok with you...

G, Penny is so cute an sassy with that short cut! Pretty sunset, too. I bet you have that countdown to Scotland going!! I am trying to slow down and give myself a bit of a break...but, the tomatoes keep coming!!

Off to the library, Trader Joes...
mar
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  3:53:17 PM  Show Profile
We got the part for our RV this morning we had to pick it up just down the road. Our manager is too busy to put it in for us, so we hired the man that owns the RV place we ordered the part from. All together, it cost us over $300.00 that was only because we do not have enough power going through here. They are supposed to upgrade it by fall, so I guess we will not be able to use our AC until they upgrade. At least we did not have a fire!!! We ended up sleeping in the motorhome last night because we could plug that in, it uses less voltage. I went 4 days without using oxygen at night, and I could really tell during the day.
Penny does have a cute hairdo. Olivia got hers done last Friday with the Greek groomer. She feels so much better in this heat.
Marie, I had ultrasounds done, they are nothing. Had mine done by an xray tech. At least it was not painful.
Have a great evening,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  08:28:16 AM  Show Profile
The gynecology resident called me this morning - rather early. The biopsy showed that my endometrium cells are abnormal. This means that they probably will become cancer. She said the prognosis is good because it has been found early. I will be getting a hysterectomy in about two weeks at the University of Minnesota Hospital. Lowell was home so I had the doctor explain it to him. He is sweetly concerned. I told my mom.

I am feeling rather numb right now. Please do not pray for me. There are bigger problems in this world. I just have to get my head around this and be alone and quiet for a while. I hope y'all understand.

Mitzi now picks and eats her own tomatoes.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  10:17:20 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 2:33:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker