doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  6:21:16 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to say Marilyn I'm glad you got denim socks like you wanted. Sorry you got taken out but it sure sounds like you had fun.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2015 :  10:06:21 PM  Show Profile
Holly, how sad for your friend. I couldn't imagine losing one of my children.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  08:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Whew! Not enjoying my job so much this morning. Tuesday mornings can be my "catching up" time, since I don't work Saturdays or Mondays, but today has just been nutty nutty nutty. Dude has gone to the auction -- hopefully he will get rid of the BMW convertible. It is late in the season, but I would really like it to just be gone. Last week it didn't bring enough, so he left it up there and registered it again for this week. Hopefully this sunny weather today will make people bid more. He will probably buy something else to bring back. We can always sell Hondas. I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz sometimes ... "Cars come and go so quickly here!" To me, a car is just a vehicle -- a tool to help me get to wherever I need to go. Nothing else. The guys here are always saying something about "the" Civic or "the" Accord --- I need a stock number, fellas! Give me a stock number!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile
I don't know
So sorry about the devastating rains, hope none of our farm girls were affected by it.

Edited by - doll58maker on Jul 17 2019 2:25:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  10:51:38 AM  Show Profile
The first car I got was a bright red Geo Storm. It was made mostly of plastic, and it was kind of gutless, but it was brand-spanking-new and bought just for me, so I loved that little thing! My granddaughter and I used to run all over creation in it. A few years later, Ford changed the body style of the Mustang back to something that more closely resembled the first ones, and my ex bought me a bright red (do you sense a trend developing?) Mustang GT with a 5-speed and the biggest engine they made. Oh my goodness! That car became my alter ego -- I was it and it was me. I loved that car -- truly loved it. The car is now 20 years old, and tomorrow it will be signed over to my granddaughter. I hope she will love it as much as Mamaw has.

G -- Sorry about your sister. Isn't it sad when people do most of the damage to themselves? It's bad for your mom, but it sounds like she is ready to deal with it. Enjoy your day of "fixing." Sounds like fun. I would like to go home and have a nap in my hammock. Dude is not back from the auction yet -- not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one. Nobody has called or come in. I am getting lots of paper done.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  11:44:10 AM  Show Profile
marilyn, your gd will love the car, but maybe not the gas tank!! How cool that you are passing it on. I love that you got the denim colored socks that you wished for. Love hearing the travels they took. Rest in Peace, Sox Sniper.

Holly, I guess you are taking the good with the bad right now. I am glad you friend has such a healthy outlook.

G, I'm sorry to hear that your mom is headed for more heartache. And jealous of your workshop plans.

Marie, don't forget that Lowell needs to stay put to take care of the pets. You won't be climbing stairs, will you?

mar
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  9:34:40 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn--those are beautiful socks. I love the color. Most of my socks are from Target. Just not the same. I loved my first car, a 1978 Chevy Nova with V-8 engine. It could take off fast and go fast. The car I have now is a Pontiac Grande Am and I like it cause it looks sporty. and it's black--the only black car I've ever had. It's also small enough to be easily maneuverable--a problem when I had my Buick Le sabre. But the Le Sabre was the smoothest riding car ever. Like you, I see cars as a means to get from one place to another--especially if there's some distance involved. Though I do sometimes drive up the River Road just for the heck of it. The drive never ceases to awe me.
Holly--I am sorry about your friend's daughter. I've had relatives who have lost their adult children and it just doesn't seem right. I think Beyoncé should wear whatever she wants ON STAGE but in real life, women need to realize that some men are sexual predators. It's just a fact of life. And it's wise to not make yourself too vulnerable when you walk into a biker bar. (Not that I ever have. The only biker group I was ever associated with was a Christian biker group). Like, if you're in a sleazy bar, don't wear a short skirt with no undies and don't wear shoes with heels so high that you can't run. Because it IS a jungle out there--I'm not excusing men for their actions but when you're surrounded by predators, don't shout out that you're the prey. I hope that makes sense. Because some men are evil and no amount of "education" will change an evil person's ways. That being said, I think men should be taught from a young age to respect women. Like a co-worker put it when she was cautioning her sons about underage girls:"I don't care if she tap dances on your chest, you DO NOT lay a hand on her!" Her sons turned out good, by the way.
Marie--I hope your surgery goes well with a minimum of discomfort. You might want to get some fleecy slippers along with that gown. I will be sending good thoughts your way.
G--it's sad that your sister has thrown her life away. I've know people who were once sharp intellectually but they burned out their minds on drugs. I don't know anyone who has ruined their body with drugs. I was at Walgreens once when someone overdosed on heroin in the parking lot. An ambulance was called but I don't know what happened to the person. there is an epidemic of heroin deaths around here. It's strange, I take prescription drugs so I don't "trip". Cause when I've hallucinated it was very frightening.
The last time it happened, in 2007, I thought the world was coming to an end. I could "hear" people screaming. I saw two moons. I can't understand why anyone would take drugs to induce hallucinations. Or highs.
I saw a movie tonight called "Plastic Paradise: The Pacific Garbage Patch". It's about where all the plastic we throw "away" ends up. It was so sad--there were hundreds of dead birds, and when they were cut open, their stomachs were full of plastic. Dolphins and sea turtles killed in plastic fishing line that was dumped. I know plastic is necessary for some things in our lives, but the problem is,the stuff never goes away. Very little plastic gets recycled. In the next few years, people on the west coast will see lots more plastic debris from the Japanese tsunami. And most Americans are kept in the dark about the damage. Cause the "news" is sponsored by the same companies that produce the plastic.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  9:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Just to clarify: I'm not suggesting that women are responsible for being sexually assaulted. But I took a self-defense class years ago and we learned the best way to avoid being attacked is to not make yourself vulnerable. Because predators tend to attack women who are drunk, or naďve, or alone, or young. Or scantily clad. The best defense is avoidance of danger. If it can't be avoided, be prepared to fight for your life. And I think all young girls should be taught how to defend themselves. Hope this makes sense.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  03:56:16 AM  Show Profile
It isn't wise to expect someone else to protect us all the time, because they won't will they?

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  1:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Just finished mixing and am now baking a batch of oatmeal, coconut, chocolate chip cookies. Not the dreaded peanut butter cookies!

We have drizzling rain today. But, still pretty warm outside!

Just got a photo of dd in a lei that she made at her lei-making class. In Hawaii, it just seems right to have flowers in your hair and around your neck, right?

Not much going on here. Being that it is Wednesday, that means it is Taco Tuesday for us. Yes, you read that right... Please ignore the lack of logic.

It is also half off day at SalvationArmy and although Mom was offered a trip, the rain kept her in. (She JUST had her hair done Monday. You know what rain does to hairsprayed styles.) So I think I might make like Marilyn and spend some time knitting!

Hope you are all healthy and happy,
mar
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  2:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh oh! I guess I don't know the history behind the "dreaded" peanut butter cookies! They sound good to me. But so does oatmeal, coconut and chocolate chip. I am flexible that way.

We went to our Rotary meeting at lunch today and didn't come back to the office. We skived off to the boat and spent a very nice afternoon idling along in the North East River. When we got downriver to where it gets really really wide, we shut the motor down and let the boat drift. It was nice and sunny, so off came the apparel and we both had a good sun-soak. Not too many more days left until the boat goes into winter storage, so we're trying to make the most of sunny days whenever we get them.

Back at the shop now to pick up some things and then on to the induction ceremony for the Interact and Early-Act Clubs. Interact is the high school arm of Rotary and Early-Act is the grade school arm. It is really wonderful to see the kids and hear about their service projects. The elementary group has to do 3 projects -- one has to be international, one is local and I think the third one has to be for their school. We usually have a pretty good turnout from our Club. There is also a college-age group called Rotaract. They tend to be a little more autonomous, since they're older. Their installation of officers is on the 18th -- we sponsor a Club at Lincoln University, which is between our little town and the next one over.

The Crispin apples are finally in at the orchard down in Colora, MD. We ran over and picked up a peck sack of them on our way back up from the boat. I have been looking forward to them since last winter, when the last of them went away. Time to run out now. Have a good evening.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  5:11:01 PM  Show Profile
Good grief. I stopped by my parents' house tonight (had somewhere to go last night) and my dad had fallen. again. My mom didn't see it. My dad says he was outside by the garage and a truck with three people in it pulled part way up the driveway. He started to walk towards it and fell where there's a concrete drop-off. He said two of the people got out of the truck and asked him if he was OK (he told them he was) then they left. He couldn't say who they were or why they were there. I wondered if he'd just imagined it, and THEN my mom tells me, yesterday, that a young man in a truck pulled up and he was talking so fast she could barely understand him, then she realized he wanted to pave their driveway. He said it would only take a few hours. And he said it would cost $1400.00. My mom told him no, if she wanted the driveway paved, she'd call someone. so he left. But now I'm worried they're being targeted. I talked to their neighbor and she said her son is often home during the day so she'd tell him to keep a sharp eye out. And my dad hurt his wrist a bit when he fell. I hope it doesn't get worse. My brother is going over there tomorrow to work on their old Caprice (which he wants to buy) so maybe he'll be able to figure out if someone really pulled up in the driveway today or if dad just imagined it. If it was real, it makes me furious cause 1) they were trespassing and 2) they didn't knock on the door to see if my mom was home. And if it was real, you know they weren't up to any good. And I worry about my dad falling this winter when there's snow and ice on the ground. Is this how it feels to worry about your kids? Cause that's what they seem to have become. I don't know what to do.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  5:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I just heard a story on NPR about the drug they give people who overdose. I think it is called Narcon. they said that 40 % of the people have had it used on them more than three times. I guess if your sister dies you will need to make more decisions with your mother about your mother's living situation.

I did not know that Rotary had youth groups. That is a great way to have a feeder program into the adult program so the club will not wither and die. Your group is so active and engaged.

C took dsT to a job interview at UPS. If he gets the job he will work from 5 AM to 9 AM five days a week . They have a great benefits program and monetary incentives to keep people working. C could go to work right after she drops him off and get out earlier in the afternoon. He is not keen on working so early in the morning but he is keen on the money end. Maybe this could help him get his act together. So, dear Goddesses send out to the Universe that dsT should have this job.

I worked on cutting the holes in birdhouse gourds to make birdhouses. I have agreed to be in a craft fair on Sunday and am scrambling to get saleable items. This seemed not to hard. I am going to paint the outsides to make them look funny. DdK suggested making a bum around the hole on one of them. So, dsC said to make a pig bum on one side and its front on the other.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  5:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Holly, sending good youths for dsT and the UPS job! What a good opportunity.

Cindy, too bad about your dad falling. At least the boys asked if he was ok I stead of just driving away. But it sounds like someone just canvassing the neighbor hood for work. But good you have people close by to keep an eye out. Older people get targeted for construction work all the time.

Mar, all the cookies sound wonderful! I'm not a bit peanut butter cookie fan, but would never turn one down either.

It rained here too. It was nice and not too cold today. But with this weather comes Fibro pain. So it was one of those days. My boss had a class to teach tonight so I had a short day whit have was nice.
Sister is working at JCPennys. Hopefully she will keep it. She has another interview at Homedepot too. Neither is full time so she needs two jobs to make a living.
Fingers crossed she gets it too. She will be gone most of the day and too tired at night to cause trouble.

Time for dinner...later all.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  5:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Holly...I meant good thoughts. Not youths.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  5:43:33 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 3:59:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  5:56:45 PM  Show Profile
Oven timer. I'm heating up leftovers. Not ready yet. Needs 10 more minutes.

Holly, take pics of the gourds for us. Some creative thinking going on there.

Edited by - doll58maker on Jul 17 2019 2:27:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  03:52:57 AM  Show Profile
Personally, I like the idea of a coven timer - ha.

We get lots of those driveway sealing operators around here. Some of them are legit, but most of the ones who go door-to-door are not. Lots of them just spray black shiny stuff to make it look like they've sealed it. I am glad Cindy's mom told them she would call someone if she wanted it done. The reputable ones usually don't have to go looking for work.

Dude was up and gone by 5:30 - I am beginning to hate auction days almost as much as he does. I guess I should get moving - I will have to hold down the fort this morning. I hope he just. Picks up the car he already bought and comes back. When he stays all day, he comes home with a headache and a burr under his saddle blanket.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  06:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Well, His Dudeness was already here at the shop when I arrived. He didn't stay for the auction, but BOY, does he have a burr under the old blanket. I am just going to wait for this one to pass, because I think I know what caused it.

There was a time when I would have worried at it all day, but I guess I am too old and independent and frankly too tired to put that kind of effort into figuring out what his problem is. If it's my doing, I figure people ought to let me know -- otherwise they can just stew in their own juice. Tonight after a glass or two of wine, he will let me know what's going on in his grumpy old head. Probably nothing.

I have one of the lovely Crispin apples on my desk -- waiting for lunch time. Oooh they are wonderful!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 4:00:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  4:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Cindy, I am sorry your dad may have fallen and sorrier that his story telling is not reliable enough for you to know for sure whether it happened and what to do about it. I am glad the neighbor will keep an eye out. I wonder if one of those motion detector cameras would be helpful in the driveway to make a record of the people who arrive and leave. They make them in digital now so you could erase all the extraneous shots. My brother has one in the woods and took a picture of two moose mating one fall. I know I digress.

We have a dirt road for a driveway so the paving guys do not come here. One less headache. We have had people case our house. A few years ago several houses in town at the end of dirt roads were robbed. Not ours we always have someone home. It might be our special needs foster daughters on the porch or walking the road in the field. The casers see a body they do not see verbal skills. They are not home alone anytime either.

Inquiring minds want to know why the Dude had his didees in a twist.

Time off Bunny. I hope you had a good time.

I was child free most of the day. Two of the boys were at school and DsC was at Earthwalk. I made bread and had alone time.

Sweet dreams.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  6:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Ha! I guess I left you all hanging about the Dude's mood, didn't I? Sorry about that. For one thing, I know he is worn out trying to get all the stuff out of Brother's garage so they can get the estate settled. Then his ex called about one of her cars, and that always makes him sort of spiny. He is really THE most patient person I know, and so generous, but she is beginning to wear awfully thin. He had supplied her with cars to drive for years while she was supposedly working at the shop, but eventually those cars are going to need replaced, and he is not anxious to have that particular discussion with her. Of course, I think he should just grow a pair and say "no," and we are both hoping that she won't actually ask him for another car, but I don't say anything about it to him, because it is really not my business. When things have been left unsettled for so long, it's hard to have those discussions without making it sound more harsh than you actual intend.

Which brings me to ..... The big decision! I am meeting with my financial planner next week, and barring anything unforeseen, I am going to be going ahead with my divorce. All it should mean is converting the legal separation, but I want to make sure that it won't mean anything bad for me financially as far as Social Security, etc. so I know that His Dudeness has been stewing about that, too. We keep tossing the idea of marriage back and forth, but we haven't really decided if we want to do it or not - lots will depend on what the money man has to say.

So much silliness. It makes me tired. Maybe I am spiny, too

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  7:16:19 PM  Show Profile
The

Edited by - doll58maker on Jul 17 2019 2:28:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  10:57:01 PM  Show Profile
GG, don't we know you are one strong willed Texas lady!
Marilyn, just make sure you can still get your share of the x's social security. I figure at our age, it is all about money and security.
MyX, the transgendered one and I laughted about now that same sex marriages are allowed, we should get remarried so I can get better benefits. No sex of course!! Seperate rooms in the house!!!

Marilyn, make sure there are no credit cards with your and the x's name existing.

Sister got a second job today. She will be working at homedepot and JC Penny's. Between the two she should be full time.

I'm taking my truck into the shop tomorrow. Hopefully my last paycheck won't disappear completely.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  04:32:57 AM  Show Profile
I hope the dude has sorted out his mood...

Holly, promise you will post photos of your bird houses!

Bunny, are you staying the entire season of rainy, coolness? I hope the barometer plays nicely soon.

Mom treated me to a gorgeous potted chrysthamum (why doesn't spell check help me now?)...legs go with "mums." I potted them and I love how they look on the front porch.

Marie, getting along ok?

No interesting story behind the peanut butter cookies. I just don't like peanut butter under my fingernails and that's what always happens.

Mar

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page