True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2016 :  2:17:52 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

I posted last night and it is not here. I do not remember what funny witty thoughts I had but I am sure you would have been rolling on the floor and crying down your legs.

Woke to -18 F this morning. I am glad the doors to the barn were closed because it was tolerable to milk with bare hands. All of the water was frozen so I had to smash it out. I did not soak myself in the face at all. My learning curve is not flat.

This morning C and I went to the New England Culinary Institute for brunch. We ate for an hour and a half. I try to have a little bit of everything and not a lot of anything so I do not overstuff myself. We had conversation with out anyone butting in or asking a non related question. It was nice.

I think about the Dude missing his children and doing the what ifs and if onlys in his head. Their birthdays or special days must bring incredible sadness for him. I can not imagine the incredible pain he has sometimes and can not tell any one because he believes they will not understand. I wish strength for you Marilyn in helping him when he is hurting. There is a song called, "Unimaginable" In the new Broadway show called Hamilton. It talks about Alexander and Eliza's lives after their son Phillip is killed in a duel.

I was at the hardware store this morning and a man came in to get parts and said his basement was a pond this morning. One of the clerks was talking to someone else about the temperature and I said, last year we had 39 days of below zero weather. The clerk said, welcome to winter.

I told dsT yesterday I sure will miss him when he is gone. He said wait mom are you being sarcastic? I said, no, you put so much poison and sh*** into your body that one day you are either going to be dead or severely brain injured and I will miss you either way. He said, mom I am only going to smoke weed. I sold all of the other stuff. I did not like the way it made me feel. We parted, him to go downstairs and me to my room. He has told me this before and I hope he is truthful to himself and to me. He works at the pizza joint now and likes it. He does dishes and they are teaching him to make the pies. He agreed to go in early this morning and clean. He said, I do not like being an adult I want to go back to bed. He did go to work. Small steps to adulthood.

Our local community college has some online classes. I think if someone were have technology issues they could go to the site and get help. I think taking an online class would be fun when I have more time. Something like creative writing. There are hundreds of free classes online.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2016 :  4:18:20 PM  Show Profile
It is snowing again here. Not too hard or too much. We may get an inch.

I have to stay home and wait for the telephone technician to come inside. Some of our equipment is not working and we have not had a dial tone for some time. At least we have voice mail and the phone company forwarded all the landline calls to Lowell's cell phone. I guess we are covered for now.

Tomorrow I will be roasting a chicken. I bought a whole chicken at the coop when it was on sale and I have been ordered to cook it. I will also be experimenting with turmeric to make a tonic which will, hopefully, make my joints less painful. I have a small root which I will slash and put in a quart jar of water to steep. I will use this water to make a warm drink with almond oil, cinnamon and honey. I want to take a cup twice a day. Maybe I'll bake some cookies tomorrow also.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2016 :  5:57:58 PM  Show Profile
sorry your joints hurt, Marie.

I hope the phone company can get your line in order and it does not take too too long. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are delicious.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  06:37:31 AM  Show Profile
The technicians were just here, a master and an apprentice, and fixed it by changing the filter. I just KNEW we should get a new filter. Our modem is also pretty old, so that will be replaced next. Lowell is now happy and that is good for me also.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  09:25:25 AM  Show Profile
It snowed here a few inches over the weekend but now it is starting to slowly disappear. It can be bad to be without a phone. I almost fell this morning when I got out of bed because there are only two positions (back and left side) that I can sleep on wearing this sling, and somehow I bent my knee in such a way sleeping that it didn't want to work properly. It's better now. Cookies of any kind sound delicious. I am waiting for fried chicken this afternoon as I haven't had any meat in well over a week. My body needs protein. I am losing weight. Which is good but I worry when my weight drops five pounds overnight.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2016 :  3:16:45 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Cindy sending healing thoughts your way. Do not worry about losing five pounds overnight. I do that regularly especially if I have just pooped or peed and have not drunk anything else. I think that is why you are only supposed to weigh yourself at the same time everyday not multiple times a day.

I am glad your phone line is fixed. I hope it stays that way. Marie.

It was -18 F this morning when we arose. The high today was 22 F. Tomorrow the high is to be in the forties. Yesterday the sun was bright today the high clouds were blocking the bright blue sky.

I made bread today. That was my biggest accomplishment besides laundry.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  06:17:09 AM  Show Profile
Sigh. It was awfully nice to be at home yesterday to watch the snow falling. I got all the laundry done, cooked a nice pot roast dinner, and even got some knitting done. Today we are having a warm rain that is all set to melt the snow (there's still lots left from the blizzard back in January) and clean things up. It will be great to see green again! We realize that there could be snow storms up into March or later, but the snow from the blizzard is all yucky and dirty, so we'd like to get rid of it, at least.

Friday before we left work, a long-time customer came in at the end of the day to trade in a car and buy a different one. They had to wait until late for Mrs to get off work. Well wouldn't you know it -- NOTHING would work right on that deal. Dude does the licensing and titling online and the system just would NOT take anything he entered. He was taking all the information directly from the old title, but it would not go through. He finally ended up hand writing enough paper for them to drive the car off the lot. So when I was ready to print the purchase order, contract, etc. --- MY printer would not work. I mean nada. Zip. Zilch. I stopped and started and tried every bit of troubleshooting I could try and it would not go. By that time we were all ready to give up and it was getting late and snowy and nasty outside. I finally just turned off my whole system to let it restart and then tried all weekend NOT to stew about what had gone wrong.

When I came in this morning and started the system -- it started printing copy after copy of the purchase order -- it was like something out of Fantasia with Mickey and the magic brooms!! ha ha ha I got some paper in the printer to soften the blows, but we just had to let it print out all the queued documents. I finally got the whole deal printed. It was like it was haunted. I hope they don't have trouble with the car now.

School was two hours late today because the roads were so icy earlier, so there's all the school traffic going around our corner right now. I skipped my walk because the sidewalks were still so slippery. If it's not raining too hard at noontime I may get out then.

I hope everyone is speaking to one another and on the mend. Have we heard from Marianne about her husband? I was thinking about her yesterday. I miss so much when I am away from this group. Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day and are enjoying Tuesday.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  12:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Friends. Can someone 'splain to me why some of our names are in red letters over in the left column and some are in turquoise? Probably just me being dum-b!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  1:16:44 PM  Show Profile
If the text is blue that means that a person has emailed to that person recently. It resets periodically.

I have had some interesting opportunities lately. First, the Whittier Alliance, our neighborhood has asked me to apply for a spot on the board of directors. The board has 15 seats and I guess I will be standing for election at the annual meeting in March. This seems as if it is a done deal because they needed to fill 5 spots and 5 people applied. Oh well! At least I do not need to campaign.

Second, I was asked by Dylan who works at Tower Games, the place I go to play Dungeons and Dragons to make some dolls they can sell in their new store. They will be moving to a new store front further north on Nicollet Avenue. They will be the first business in the space. It will be nice, clean, warm and I won't have to go down any stairs. They will have two bathrooms which I want them to label "HEROS" and "MONSTERS" and a kitchenette. They can expand some of their product line and offer classes to paint miniatures. I want to make some amigurumi monsters, heros and creatures. They also want me to design and make some characters from Magic the Card Game. I believe I will have to form a business in order to account for income and expenses properly. This would also be a springboard for my larger business - the crafting tool shop.

We shall see.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  1:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Marie -- Sounds like good stuff coming your way!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  4:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I did not know about the blue letters and the red ones. Thank you for asking and answering.

The high today was 48 F. Started out snowing and then raining. School was cancelled. We were supposed to go to a show at the Spruce Peak Performing arts center. It was a student matinee. It was cancelled because school was cancelled all over the northern part of the state. The weather guessers said we had 1/10th inch of ice with three inches of snow on top. The roads were not horrible but the buses would not have done well on the dirt roads.
It is pouring out right now.

We bought a five gallon bucket of honey last fall. We waited to put it into quart jars because we did not need it. I took it out on Saturday and it was a block of honey. I sat it in front of the wood stove but it did not melt. So, bright spark me put it in a pan of water on top of the wood stove thinking the moisture wold make the honey be liquid again. I guess the bottom seal was not strong enough because it came apart and honey water overflowed the pan and went down the front of the stove. I just finished cleaning up the floor. Tomorrow I will try again.

Marie, making the dolls sounds like fun. Your imagination will shine through and everyone will start thinking of the characters the was you see them. What power. haha

I hope you are into process and do well on the neighborhood board. I am not into process. I like to see the problem figure out how to fix it and fix it.

DsR has a nasty cold. He was up a lot of the night yesterday coughing even with the medicine and Vicks. Tonight we have a more powerful cough medicine and he is out like a light right now.

I tell dsC that the computer does not have a brain so it can not plot against him. I think yours was feeling overwhelmed and left early for the weekend. Glad you had a good day yesterday. Peace and quiet is wonderful.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  6:18:15 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if computers DO have brains. Mine has successfully prevented me--by refusing to work--when I was upset and was going to send an inflammatory e-mail. this has happened more than once. I think there is a guardian angel of computers.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  8:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Well, my desktop is sick. The printer stopped working a month or so ago. I have to buy a new printer every three years because the paper rollers wear out. The modem is at least a decade old and needs to be replaced. And the monitor just went dead. That could be caused by a problem with the cord, the video card or something inside the computer. We have to take it in and leave it. We'll see how it goes. Meanwhile, Lowell is unable to play chess.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  06:56:24 AM  Show Profile
Had a consult with a different dentist this morning. I think I have found my new dental home at last! Really liked the office, the staff, and the dentist's philosophy of care. Brilliant! Now to dig up all the mayonnaise jars from the backyard....

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  07:01:56 AM  Show Profile
LOL Dentistry is expensive. I will be going to the University of Minnesota Dental School to get my work done in the spring. Medicare does not provide dental coverage unless I buy and expensive plan extension. We have free mobile dental clinics driving around which help out a lot.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  07:12:03 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I want to get as much done as I can do before I am off my insurance plan. I know it will still be quite a bit out of pocket, but I plan to keep these teeth for a long time. I was so relieved to meet this dentist and his staff -- just a completely different experience from the one I went to in November.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  10:30:04 AM  Show Profile
Holly --- I was so tickled to receive your pretty Valentine! It was actually the only Valentine I received, which made it extra special. Thank you so much.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  3:50:36 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am glad you liked the card. I thought the picture came out especially nice on yours. I liked the color contrast better than the ones I sent with a blue background but I only knew that after I sent out all of the first bunch. You were in the second wave.

I will be so happy when the weather warms up some and we can be outside again. It is so tedious and boring being inside all the time. Yes. I could go out and deal with the cold but, dsC has school work to do and we really need to get it all done before we start spending all of our time outside again.

All of the rain we received last night has turned to ice. The roads are sanded but the yard is slick.

I was wondering if any of you read National Geographic magazine? One of the recent issues has an article on below London. The article says that they are finding artifacts that are 10000 years old. Can you imagine living on top of some place that people have been living in for that long? There is a place in London along the Thames River that you can find old bones or flint knives as the tide recedes. There is a group of people that check that location everyday for artifacts.

maybe there is computer Karma that helps us not make total fools of ourselves. If you could sell the app you would not need to return to the hospital to work.

I made a cake today and did remember to put in the sugar.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Feb 18 2016 04:36:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  5:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

I heard from Marianne. Her life is spinning very fast right now. She has not left us. So, send her good energy.

hugs

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  6:18:32 PM  Show Profile
There is an archeological site about forty miles north of here where Native Americans lived, I believe, about six thousand years ago. Not much is known about them except what they left behind. They apparently buried their favorite dogs in the area where important people were buried. And no, they didn't eat their dogs. There are also Mastodon bones from ten thousand years ago in this area. It was a type of wooly mammoth, only a bit smaller. And a bit to the south, there is Cahokia Mounds, which around 1200 AD had the largest population of any city in North America, some estimate about 40,000 people at its peak. It may have fallen victim to floods, drought, disease--no one really knows what happened to it. But they left behind lots of burial mounds. It was also an important trading center, situated near the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. Sometimes when I'm hiking on the bluffs I like to stop and imagine what it must have been like to have lived there thousands of years ago--a bit scary, as there were jaguars in the area prior to the Europeans discovering this continent. There is a song called "Newgrange" by Clannad that is about the early peoples in the British Isles. "Forgotten is the race that no one knows" is part of the lyrics. I think it is important to remember.
I can understand your wanting to get out of the house (and the card was lovely). I can finally drive again so I'm not housebound like I was. Don't want to drive too much, not unless I have to. Saw my dr. today and will start physical therapy next week. Still have to wear the sling for four more weeks.
I was taking a nap earlier today before my dr. appointment. I had a dream that an evil dr. was going to cut off my arm. I guess this shoulder work is starting to get to me.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  07:11:12 AM  Show Profile
Holly-- I heard from Marianne as well, and you are right! She needs all the good ju-ju we can send her way. I used to love reading the National Geographic -- haven't seen one in a few years, though -- I think I divorced my subscription! ha ha ha The one time I went to Europe, we stayed in Vienna. It is an old old city with several successive walls surrounding it -- so interesting to see where the ancient stuff is still standing. We would go on tours of old churches and by the end of the day, we found ourselves saying "Oh, this church is only 600 years old -- the one this morning was 800 years old!" And us from Washington State where anything before the 1850s is pretty ancient. It's a big world out there.

My sweet Dude has decided that I "need" a baby grand piano. He may just be nuts enough to buy one, too. I have always dreamed of one, and several men have insisted that they were going to buy me one "someday," so we will see what we will see. In the meantime, I will keep on with my nice old York upright from 1903. It has wonderful sound and action, and it suits me just fine.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  10:10:15 AM  Show Profile
I read the article you are talking about in National Geographic. I wonder how many other civilizations there were that we know noting about but their existence influences who we are today as a people.

My brother has a baby grand. I did not know you were so talented. More than 10000 hours of practice you have done I bet. I could never sit still long enough to practice. I hope the Dude gets you a nice one.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  11:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh dear -- I knew things were too quiet around here today. My crazy rasta-lady is very angry and is calling repeatedly. Is it too early to have wine? At my desk? The BIG bottle????

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  1:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Holly, thank you for the sweet Valentine card!

I haven't been feeling well this last week so nothing to post. Hopefully this week will be better.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  2:59:02 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't drink at work but, in this case, I might make an exception.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page