janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  07:25:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, that is too close for comfort, glad you are all fine.

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  5:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We are having a steady rain storm right now. It began about 4:30 in the afternoon. I hope it goes for a good long time to soak the ground and fill up the pig wallow. I went to Tai Chi tonight with pig slobber on my leg. I forgot to wash it off before I left. I did wash it off in the bathroom at the church.

DdK cleaned out the cow stall this morning. Later on dsC and I put sand in so the floor would be more even. There was a slight depression where all of her pee settled. For some reason the sand does not drain the water through it to keep the stall dry.

I am glad your home and you are safe. Lightning strikes are exhilarating and scary at the same time.

I hope the vet can figure out how to make Jaxon feel better.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  6:41:16 PM  Show Profile
My baby is home. He is much better, can walk, still a bit wobbly, but he went outside and went up and down the two steps without any help. His appetite is back and he played with one of his toys. I closed on the loan and the funds will be available next week. I will get the MRI done in the near future. I was leaving the hospital once and there was a lightning strike that hit the lightning rod. it was LOUD. That's the closest I've ever been to a strike. I remember an electrical storm (no rain--just lots and lots of lightning) when I was young. It was scary. I like the sound of thunder--even loud thunder. it reminds me there's a Creator. Holly, do you put lime under the sand in the cow's stall? Is the sand too compacted? I drove to my parents' villa yesterday and as I drove up the long, winding entrance, I saw a bird I'd never seen before. Then I saw another one and an adult wild turkey nearby. They were poults. I'd never seen the babies in the wild before. I saw a doe and two spotted fawns last week. I need to mow again after all this rain and get started on my fall garden.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2016 :  5:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Welcome Jana, I hope you can join us for a chat. Yesterday when I signed onto the site I saw your name and then I could not find your post. So, the last one I found was Jan's so I figured I must have read it wrong, but, then here you are. Are you near the fires?

Jan, Glad you got your car going.

I do not put lime under the cow's sand. I think the sand does compact some but when someone stands on it the sand shifts. So, it is not hard like cement. It is washed sand from the gravel pit. Maybe I should ask about another kind of sand when I call next time. I do not want gravel because it might be too rough on Coco's feet and hide when she lays down.

I went to a going away life celebration for a friend who is choosing her end tomorrow. She had a life celebration two months ago when she went off dialysis but, she is still here. I guess her kidney function had not ceased enough for it to kill her. She is at peace.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  07:41:49 AM  Show Profile
We are back from visiting our son and my precious grands. Went to the pool, jumped off the boat dock and swam in the creek behind their house, went bowling, went out in the boat, watched the Olympics, and played and played and read lots of books. Busy the whole time and it was wonderful. As always it went too fast and I hated to leave.
It rained where we live almost everyday while we were gone, but nothing remotely like the flooding in Louisiana. We lived there many years and I have many dear friends there still. Some have lost everything. My heart breaks for all the folks affected. It's been bad there before, but this kind of flooding hasn't happened in years and years. It will be a long recovery.
Hope everyone is having a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  6:17:25 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had a lovely day herein the Green Mountains. The sky was so blue and the fluffy clouds floated along. The temperatures were in the seventies or low eighties with a light breeze and no humidity. the cow was hot and went and laid down in the woods where it is cool for most of the day. I could not find her when I went looking but she came to the barn in the evening for her grain.

I am glad you had a fine time with your grandchildren and offspring. I have been to Louisiana one time to pick up my daughter who was born there. Her birthmother and birth siblings still live there. She has contact with them by texting and calling. I hope your friends are alright.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2016 :  7:43:27 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:40:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  3:38:10 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A lovely day here on the hill farm. Beautiful blue sky and fluffy white clouds. Temperatures in the low eighties.

I picked dsG up from camp for the last time this summer. His camp had three broken canoes to give away. We took one. DsG wants to patch it with a fiberglas repair kit. He wants to play with it on the pond. It is the first time he has wanted to repair something so he could use it. We are making progress.

I have a friend here named Kairn. he does not know why her mother spelled it like that.

I hope your niece has a great time at college.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2016 :  3:51:05 PM  Show Profile
Good evening farm girls! It has been a beautiful day in southern California, in the eighties here too and I have enjoyed the last eight hours out in the garden. Where does the time fly. I picked tomatoes, onions, zucchini, jalapenos and eggplants before weeding, trimming, cleaning and watering.

I love hearing about all your grandchildren, nieces and nephews. So much so that my mom and I will be driving up to Sacramento next month to visit my sister and niece, who will be turning sixteen.

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer!

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  4:46:19 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today we had lots of wind all day long. One weather guesser said it would rain from noon on. It started to rain around 5:15 PM and has continued to rain.. I took a risk and hung out the laundry and won the risk.

We put green beans and some brocolli in the freezer. C made two zucchini lasagnas today to put in the freezer as well.

I filled up the water buckets for the pigs. The buckets were side by side and one pig laid down across both buckets. I was not happy to see him squeeze the water out of the buckets on to the ground. I just left the pen in helpless ness.

A neighbor came to get some chickens. A wild thing came a month or so ago and killed all of her birds. She took three old birds and six young ones to replace her flock.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  6:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Today Lowell has gone to visit his father with his brother and his daughter. I have set up the iron board in the living room and the boxes are cleared from the sewing machine. I have made boiled chicken and made soup from the broth and put it in the freezer. I also made rice and fed Mitzi boiled rice and chicken. I want to try feeding her this to see if we can save on dog food.

I start work on Tuesday. I had four days of training and was so tired afterward, I had to chill on Friday. I am excited to start. We have a lot to do. We have to look at the Master Schedule and talk to the teachers about their classroom schedules and their list of students. When the students get to school on the 29th, we have to start assessing them then ranking them to see who qualifies for the service. Then we have to determine our caseload and schedule the students. Whew!

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  05:29:09 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning! It is 60 degrees and sunny here this morning, going to be a beautiful day.
We went to our state fair Saturday with our darling daughter and her sweet husband. Had fun and ate way too much fair food. Sunday was a lovely day and I made some progress cleaning our deck. It wraps around three sides of the house and we are surrounded by trees, so it constantly needs attention. A doe wandered through lower down in the yard and stopped to watch me.
Hope you have a great first day back at work tomorrow Marie.
Enjoy your day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2016 :  10:47:16 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:43:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  12:53:17 PM  Show Profile
We finally finished the flower gardens and got the grass cut again. It needs to be cut every 4-5 days. It has been in the high nineties here with very high humidity. Our AC cannot keep up with it, o we went out this morning and bought a portable AC unit, that you still have to vent out the window!!!!!Oh well, we are hoping it will help in this heat. Will find out tomorrow. Still waiting for our awning to get replaced.
Cindy, I do hope Jaxon just had some kind of a bug and he is all over it now. Would'nt that be nice!!!!!
Marie, Good luck with your new school year. Hope it is not too much for you.
Holly, I love hearing of your adventures with the kids and the animals. You are such a hard worker.
Karin, hope you are enjoying the cooler weather. We are hoping for cooler in a couple more weeks, but then there are a couple of storms off Africa that may turn into hurricanes. Time will tell. We are in central Florida, so it should not affect us too much, unless the storm is a high category hurricane, then we hit the road to higher ground.
Jana, sounds like you have a great garden and are now reaping the harvest. I need to start some vegetables here next month. It does seem weird to have a garden almost year round. I love it.
Now I need to find something for supper. Have a great rest of the day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  4:59:45 PM  Show Profile
I had a half day of training at the school. We were all split into 3 groups and rotated among Policies and Practices, Responsive Classroom and an Art & Achievement Activity. The school is splitting the classroom by "talent". For example, in one grade's classroom has 40% high achievers, 20% average achievers and 40% medium high achievers while another classroom will have 40% average achievers, 20% low average achievers and 40% low achievers. They do this because the low achievers learn nothing from the high achievers and the high achievers get frustrated and just do the work for them. Also, instead of having up to 9 different reading groups in an equally mixed classroom, this way a teacher will only have to plan for 4 different reading groups and will not have to keep all the books for every reading level A - Q in the room. All the students will be among others with a closer level of talent and ability so they can be challenged and learn from each other more effectively. That's the theory anyway. The school has been suffering from poor performance over the past few years.

I will be in a rather nice office with the reading intervention person and the other fellow Reading Corps person. I and the other person decided we can share a table as our desk and private space. She is looking forward to decorating the office. I want to bring in some plants. We face the east so I will put dirt in a small dish and maybe make a small fairy garden. That will be cute.

I will be having a case load of 12 students. It seems a bit much but I am willing to try it. I may decide to switch to full-time later in the year.

Jan - I have a sister who lives in Royal Palm Beach who gardens all year long. Her farmgirl name is Audra Rose. I am certain she can give you advice on the growing seasons.

Back at school tomorrow for more training.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  6:13:12 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A lovely day here. In the morning the temperature was in the low fifties. By afternoon we were back up in the high seventies. As the days shorten the nights get cooler. Sleeping is so much easier.

I am drying zucchini slices. The book says they make great chips with dip. When one is overwhelmed with zucchini one must try many different methods of preservation. I am working at picking them everyday so none are as big as elephant trunks. A friend gave us some as well. I have eight summer squash on the counter from my friend. I have to figure out what to do with them soon. I forgot to go back out and pick the green beans. Another day tomorrow.
I gave a different friend many tomato plants this spring. She is unable to start them herself because her cats eat the plants. She is getting ripe tomatoes already. I have some plants from the same starting and all of mine are still green. It may be because her soil and other growing conditions are not as good as mine and her plants think it is time to ripen to die. She is so very happy to have all of these tomatoes in her yard.

I am glad Jaxon is feeling better.

I am glad to read how and what everyone is doing. It is nice to know all of you are there.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2016 :  10:53:53 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:45:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2016 :  4:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I was changing a tire yesterday. I lifted the tire up and hung a bolt hole on a bolt. Then I leaned forward to lift the tire to position it on the bolts. The tire tipped froward and smacked me right on the nose where my glasses sit. I sat back and said to myself that really hurts as the pain throbbed. I now have a lovely little black and blue on my nose. I am glad it did not spread to my eyes as two people I thought liked me suggested it would. haha. It has not hurt since that initial hit.

I am trying to make pickles. I have never done it before. I think they will not be too crispy because they look like they are soggy. I have to sit them in the crock over night and then read more of the directions. They are called old fashioned pickles from the stocking up cook book.

Cindy you should read Being Mortal by Atum Gawande. it addresses the issues you are dealing with with your mother.

I am glad Jaxon is feeling better.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  07:53:47 AM  Show Profile
Got back from the gym about an hour ago. It is still hot and muggy here, so I try to work out or walk early.
I need to put herbs in the dehydrator today, they are all running amuck. Also hope to get some spinning done.
Holly, I'm so glad your weren't hurt worse. I know that had to be really painful.
Have a lovely day all.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  4:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We have several mullein plants that I have harvested some of the leaves from. I think the rest of the leaves are getting big enough to pick as well. I was looking at the comfrey thinking I should pick and dry some of them. Life spun up earlier in the summer an d I missed the stinging nettle before it blossomed and the violets before they went by. I was reading that I could pick and dry the borage and coat it with powdered sugar for the tops of cakes.

It is nice to hear that you are putting by your own herbs. Do you know anything about garlic scapes and growing garlic from them. I dried some last fall and this spring I put one in the ground. Now it has grown and looks like a clump of small garlic tops. I am thinking I should separate them and plant them to see if they grow big enough to use next fall.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  8:16:28 PM  Show Profile

g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:47:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  4:18:00 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am reading a book by Sue Monk Kidd. It is called Firstlight and was written in 2006 or 2007. She is the woman who wrote The Secret Life of Bees. It is a spiritual book. I am only partway into it. I bought it at the book sale here in town on Saturday.

She writes, " Someone pointed out to me that the words now, here and nowhere have the same arrangement of letters. but differ when a small space is inserted. Likewise a fine space separates us from experiencing our life as nowhere or now here.
Attentiveness is entering fully the moment you are currently in, no matter how hassling and mundane, and simply being present with it.

Some thing to think about in our busy lives.

My nose gets me some attention with a nice black and blue on it but it does not hurt.

Tomorrow is the first day of school. Two of the boys will go. DsR has a lot of anxiety about going. Send us patience and calm for him. He is 8.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  4:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I went down to do chores tonight and looked down as I entered Coco's stall and there was a baby guinea. I picked it up not knowing where it came from and not seeing any others. I took it upstairs to C. We came back down and there were baby guineas running around Coco's stall. They must have been hiding under their mother when I was in there the first time. We scooted them into Ida Mae's stall and blocked the holes. C put in water and food. The parents tipped over the feeder and all of the babies and the parents ate. They all settled into the corner together. There is one who doesn't seem like it will make it but I put it close to it's parents hoping if it gets warm it will make it. Such a nice surprise to find all of those babies.

The thermometer read in to eighties but there was a brisk breeze most of the day so the temperature seemed quite lovely.

I went to feed the pigs and they were very pushy tonight. I was not happy and told them so. I will try to feed earlier tomorrow so maybe they will not be as hungry. We feed 50 pounds in the morning and 50 in the evening. There are nine pigs.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2016 :  07:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Not a lot going on here. DH has spent the last several days trying to get our chimney to stop leaking. Water is actually getting between the cinder block and the stone facing. The chimney stack is 10' wide and about 24' high. I have no idea why they made it so big. If money grew on trees I'd knock the whole thing down and build a smaller one out of better stone, but that's obviously not going to happen. Hopefully he can figure something out.
Holly, we had guineas on the farm when our kids were small. They made pretty good watchdogs.
We're heading to Yosemite soon. Really looking forward to the trip.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2016 :  08:47:40 AM  Show Profile
I have been having a lot of internet problems, so that is why I have not been on lately. Some of the antennas got hit by the lightning that hit everywhere here in the park, so our internet has been hit or miss lately. Now we are in for a lot of wind and rain from the tropical storms coming, so if you do not hear from me, that is why. We stocked up on water today, because if we lose power, our well here will not work, and we will not have water.
Holly, I bet those little guineas are cute. A nice surprise, I am sure. That is a lot of feed for the pigs.
Karin, Are you going to Yosemite on vacation, or visit? Sounds like fun, and not so hot this time of the year.
Olivia got her grooming done today, we have a groomer that comes right here with a mobile service right to out door. So convenient. He set up a schedule for her for the whole year, about every 8 weeks. So convenient.
Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page