Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 408

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2016 :  8:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Here are some pictures of an historical mansion in my town. This house has an underground tunnel to the Mississippi that was used during the Underground Railroad. Boats would come up the river at night and let the slaves off at the tunnel entrance, which was hidden. The slaves would hide in the basement of the mansion until they could escape to northern Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. The river end of the tunnel was blocked off a long time ago, but they used to give occasional tours of the tunnel. Now it is considered too unsafe for tours. If this house could speak...
The last picture is the carriage house. There are now apartments in this mansion. I think it would be a neat place to live, even though it's haunted.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  06:00:47 AM  Show Profile
Drizzly and cold this morning. DH has his yearly checkup at the VA today. Afterwards I'm going to the cross stitch shop and see what new Christmas ornaments they have. Probably have lunch somewhere and then back home. Hopefully the drizzle will stop so I can go for a walk.
Holly, I have several sets of those shelves. Putting them together by yourself isn't always easy.
Lots of things going on in our little town in the coming days. I can't believe it's only two weeks until Christmas.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  06:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Now I know why my knees were hurting. We got six inches of snow over the weekend.

I will have to shovel the back walk. I have noticed that maintenance has been neglecting our building lately. I would complain but we could get kicked out and rents are really high around here. The Whittier Alliance community is having discussions about gentrification and its impact on affordable housing.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  5:09:42 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We received several inches of new snow over the weekend. The ski resorts have opened. they have been making snow for several weeks now. When we get a few inches they report a foot or more. I do not know how they get so much. Maybe it is the way their mountains are facing. We live about 50 minutes from Stowe, Sugarbush and Bolton Valley. It is a little further to Jay Peak. We used to ski with the middle children but then it became more expensive.

I put plastic on the outside of the French doors and the back of the house is much warmer.

The boys are counting the days until Christmas. The excitement mounts.

There is a museum northeast of here called the Rokeby Museum. It is in a house that helped escaping slaves make it through Vermont to Canada. I am glad you shared the pictures. DsR and I talked about what it meant.

Montpelier has issues with very high rents and taxes. Really the hourly pay people can hardly afford to live there.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  08:02:13 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- We live just off "Rokeby Road" here in PA! Funny -- a name I never heard until I moved east, and now I have heard it in two places.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2016 :  05:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday morning it started sleeting, then later we got about an inch of snow. I didn't have any trouble getting around with my AWD, but apparently a lot of other people did. We normally get together on Tuesday evening at our local yarn shop to knit and spin, but they decided to cancel last night. Next Tuesday is our Christmas party, so hopefully the weather will behave itself.
We have several bird feeders and suet blocks placed around the yard. The birds are really making good use of them and it's fun to watch how they squabble over space. We have ear corn out for the squirrels, mainly to keep them away from the bird feeders, and after the last season is over we will put out cracked corn and goat feed for the deer. They have a pretty hard time in these hills over the winter.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2016 :  4:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I put out pig fat for the birds this afternoon. We had some very pretty downy woodpeckers last year. I really need to get my act together and put out the black oil seed for the birds. I think the chipmunks have stored enough seed and pig food for the season. We had left a 50 pound bag of pig feed in the lower barn when the spring in the barn had dried up in September. When we went down in November the bag was empty. So, the chipmunks are well provided for.

We have about 6 inches of snow on the ground. It has been cold so the snow is still light and fluffy. Not snowball snow at all. DsG said that the sledding hill opened at school today. Last year there was not enough snow to sled. The children are happy at recess anyway.

It is still some sort of hunting season for deer so feeding them is not allowed. I think feeding the deer is not encouraged at all here.

My sister lives in Missouri. She says that people there do not know how to drive in the snow so she stays home so the people there do not hit her.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2016 :  06:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- we have put out dry ear corn for the deer a couple of times, also some salt licks. They seem to get it all. Whenever I have apple cores I throw them into the woods for the critters. We feed the birds -- suet and black oil -- from the first of November to after they've built their nests. When we were remodeling what used to be the basement, Dude took it down to the bare cement walls and took out all the ceiling. I would hear him down there tearing at something, then a crash, then weird skittery noises and then him coughing and spluttering. Every piece of ceiling and wallboard had been holding 40 years' worth of chipmunk stash -- nuts, seeds, fuzzy stuff for nests -- what an eye opener that was! We had a huge "Habitrail" down there. Very glad that the house is lots healthier now. We blocked up the hole for the old cellars doors and put everything to rights.

Farmgirl #6318

Edited by - Marilyn Hartman Sullivan on Dec 15 2016 06:34:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2016 :  4:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The temperature rose to 12 F this afternoon. The wind has been brisk all day long. The weather guessers say with the wind chill it is well below zero. DsC usually goes to Earthwalk on Thursdays. It is an outdoor program for young people. It was cancelled today because of the cold. I think it has only been cancelled once before and that was for ice that covered everything.

I guess the chipmunks were sad to lose their warm home and glad to escape with their lives intact.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  06:48:30 AM  Show Profile
The first year after we remodeled, which included regrading and taking out some rotted retaining walls where the chippers lived, we didn't see very many. Then this past year their population has recovered and gained some ground! When I am sitting downstairs knitting while my laundry is running, I love to watch them popping in and out of the woodpile outside the door -- they are just the cutest little guys. A brisk 14 degrees this morning for my walk, with a little snow forecast for overnight. Glad I get to stay home tomorrow.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  09:17:37 AM  Show Profile
This is the last day of school before a two week break. I am not seeing any kids today. I am hanging out in Patricia's room. Everyone is having a party. I got a small chalkboard during the white elephant exchange. Patricia is my Secret Snowflake. I am so surprised and pleased. She'll give me my last present on Monday. I want to be at school anyway to clean up the office.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  6:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone.

It is colder today than yesterday. I tucked strips of old blankets around the french doors in the library. I had put a window quilt over it but closing those seams has helped as well. I made a little quilt for the cat door as well. I hope that addition will stop one of the breezes. Living in an older home sure helps ones creativity level.

The pilot in the gas stove in the back of the house went out. I read the directions and could not find the pilot to relight it. A handy man from the other side of town came and did it for me. He does not really know how he did it because the pilot did not look like a pilot. I will have to call the gas company and cancel the order for help. It should not be that hard to relight the stove. I am not sure why it went out. It had been working right along. Maybe it got a hiccup in the line when the company filled the tank.

It is good to find joy in the wild creatures that are around.

We have school through next week.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2016 :  8:01:10 PM  Show Profile
The weather here is nasty. We had a drizzle of freezing rain but it was enough to turn the roads into icy slides. I drove my parents to the visitation for my cousin tonight using their car, since my mom says the seats are too low in mine. The brakes on that car sounded horrible. The washer fluid squirters didn't work. so their was ice on the windshield and no fluid to help melt it. I had to turn on the front window defogger and turn up the heat to keep the window warm enough to melt the ice. then dad complained about the heat. He was sitting in the front seat, being a back seat driver. I don't need a back seat driver, especially when the roads are this bad. It took me forever to get home in my car, which handles icy roads pretty well. Traffic was backed up for a mile on one main route. I saw at least ten cars, including a bus, that had spun off the road. It took me twenty minutes to go one mile. I texted my brother and told him he needs to check the brakes on my parents' car. I'm glad I have experience driving in bad weather cause the roads were treacherous. It's supposed to warm up into the 40's tomorrow, then drop 40 degrees in a matter of hours and get down to five degrees tomorrow night. the high on sunday is expected to be nine. Lovely Midwestern weather. It can change in a matter of minutes.
i have seen chipmunks around here but not very often. I saw two birds--either hawks or falcons--a couple weeks ago at the retirement community where my parents live. They were mostly grayish, larger than a kestrel but much smaller than a red-tail, and they were flying very low over the road. I looked in my bird guide and decided they have to merlins, a type of falcon uncommon to this area. They're most likely wintering here. I've never seen birds like that before.
I hope everyone stays warm and safe during the cold weather. I finally have all the Christmas decorations up in my house. No outside decorations. it's too cold.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2016 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile
We received more snow here yesterday afternoon and tonight. A snow emergency has not been called yet because we should be getting more over night. This means that the roads are all pretty bad and no one is shoving the sidewalks. I can't even get out the back door to take out the recycling. I guess I have to do some snow removal myself around here.

WOO HOO!!! WINTER BREAK FROM SCHOOL!!!

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2016 :  3:11:54 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We have had a steady fall of snow all day long. Temperatures were in the teens and lower. No wind today. The house is much easier to keep warm.

I went to get the winter holiday tree. It is in the garage. We do not put it up until the Eve. Members of our family believe if the tree is up and decorated then Santa should come that night. So, no early tree decorating for us.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2016 :  6:27:01 PM  Show Profile
I just looked outside and it is sleeting again. and cold. Not a good night to be out at all. I feel sorry for the wild animals in this kind of weather. I will put some suet in the holder tomorrow. I hope everyone has sense to stay home tonight unless they absolutely have to be out. My "Christmas tree" is about 18 inches tall. I got it last weekend at the local antique/craft mall. I put a string of mini-lights and ornaments from Target on it. I also found a miniature camper at the antique mall and set it under my tree. The tree is hand-made. I also have a Norfolk Island pine that I put some ornaments on. My decorating is pretty subdued this year. Mostly a rustic, homey feel. "The Christmas song" just came on the radio. I wrote my own version but it is so politically satirical that I can't share it. I guess I watched too much SNL in the 70's and listened to too much Dr. Demento. Now I'm hopelessly warped. he he he.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2016 :  7:14:21 PM  Show Profile
I have met Dr. Demento. We are in watching Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation with Lowell's daughter Hayley.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2016 :  06:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! We had sleet, snow, and rain yesterday. Temp dropped to 17 during the night and as you can imagine, everything is covered with ice. Time to get my yak trax out.
Did some spinning on the wheel yesterday and worked on a felted wool table runner for my daughter.
Holly, have you heard anything from Mar or Bunnie lately? I miss hearing from them and others. Hope everyone is doing well.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2016 :  08:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

It is raining and dark grey out. On top of the ten inches of snow we will have a thick sheet of ice. Driving is not for the faint of heart or the unfocussed.

I have not heard from Mar or Bunny. I sent them winter holiday cards.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2016 :  09:38:28 AM  Show Profile
I got your card Holly. Thank you so much.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2016 :  5:50:18 PM  Show Profile
I got your card as well, Holly. Love the picture on it. The wind chill last night was -14 degrees. I was planning on going to church this morning even though it was bitterly cold, and then I saw the windows of my car were completely covered with ice. There's no way I could scrape if off, being so cold, and it would take forever to melt it by running the car. then I found out the driver side door was frozen shut. So no church. I finally got the door open this afternoon. Wish I could put the car in the garage, but since I now have two lawn mowers, there just isn't room for the car. Guess I need a shed for at least one of the lawn mowers. Marie, what was Dr. Demento like? I liked the days of MAD magazine and craziness. People take themselves too seriously now.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  06:36:53 AM  Show Profile
1 degree this morning. I was going to work out, but decided I really didn't want to go out. It is sunny and pretty out though. Will probably bundle up and go for a walk this afternoon.
My DD is taking a personal day tomorrow to get some things done. i have to go up to Indy to get my car serviced, and we are going to lunch together. She has a such a busy life, I'm always happy to get a little time with her.
My DS and his family are spending a few days with his wife's aunt in Florida. They got a call yesterday from the people taking care of their pets that one of their little dogs had died. She had a heart problem and they knew she probably wouldn't live a long time. The kids are taking it pretty hard and DS and his wife feel guilty that they weren't there. It's so hard to lose a pet. They lost a beloved cat two months ago, so that makes this even harder.
Holly, I got your card also. Your pictures are beautiful.

Karin
Sister #2708

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  06:51:11 AM  Show Profile
Dr Demento was a guest at a convention I went to. He was sitting in one of the calmer party rooms wearing a purple velvet three-piece suit. He was such a gentleman and totally shy. That hotel hallway was wild. People were throwing tribbles at the Klingons. The Klingons were retaliating in their own special way. It was crazy. Thank goodness for that one calm party room.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  4:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today the temperature was 6 F so some of you have me beat. The wind chimes sang all night long. the sky was a brilliant azure. Quite stunning after having had so much grey.

Everyone should receive a card. If you have not i will send another one out. I was pleased with the picture. especially the colors and textures.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  06:06:29 AM  Show Profile
Thank you to Holly for the beautiful and thoughtful card. Your pictures and the stories that go with them are wonderful. Thank you for making Christmas brighter around here!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page