jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2021 :  06:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Denise. I am coping. Will be a long road ahead, but I will make it. I am hoping I have time in between to get my fall gardens going. It just started to cool down a bit here. Still in the 80s but much less humidity. I like this time of year.
Hope you are feeling better Marie. Sounds like you enjoy your job. That is great.
Marilyn, you too sound like you enjoy your newer job. I bet it is alot less strain on the nerves.
Holly, You are such a hard worker. I always enjoy reading your posts. Good to see you back on here.
Vanessa, You are such a good sister. Hope your mom is on the mend and feeling better.
Betty, good to see you on here again.
Time to take Olivia for her walk. Have a great day.
Jan

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2021 :  5:22:16 PM  Show Profile
We had our first frost of the season on Saturday. Usually, it happens the second week of September. The pretty leaves have about passed. The yellows of the oak are fading to brown and that is pretty against the gray of the bare branches.

I am glad to see you on here, Jan. I have been thinking I should snail mail you a letter to come on but you beat me to the arrival. I am glad to read you. I am sorry you have endured so much loss. And Bob. I hope he heals without continued pain.
I guess dentures are something to get used too. I bet your fall garden will be lovely when it grows. You have always been a skilled gardener.

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9247 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9247 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2021 :  10:35:54 AM  Show Profile
We had our first frost last night and now everything is going to be colorful around here. More than normal. We do have lots of leaves already on the ground too.
Babysitting for my grandson for a bit today. Usually he comes on Thursday but his mom also had an appointment today. He loves to come over and gets so excited to be here. I love that.
We are almost finished with the kitchen redo. I will be so glad when it is finally done. Want to get everything in order.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2021 :  3:04:42 PM  Show Profile
Late last winter maybe early spring the heat pipes in the back of the house froze. I replaced the cracked ones and was waiting for the cooler temperatures to begin to finish the job. Well, It has come. I turned on the system and it made a nasty racket. BUT, the pipes did not leak. It dawned on me that I needed to bleed the air out of the pipes. The little bleeders worked a little. When I had some of the pipes moved from under the door and cat door to over the cat door and people door the contractor did not put bleeders in the high spots. I thought I had to drain the system again and put in bleeders up high. LOw and behold watching a youTube video I found out how to bleed the lines from the pipes in the furnace room.. I did it. The furnace works quietly and the pipes get hot.

The sunset is a brilliant pinkish orange tonight. Quite lovely.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2021 :  5:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Tonight I watched the third in a four part series of webinars on Death, Dying and Design. It is put on by the Yestermorrow Design school that is not far from me. The webinars are on You tube and if you search Yestermorrow I am told they can be found.

The webinars have all been recorded for people to watch when they are able.

Tonight's talk featured a death doula named Casey Engel who is based here in Vermont. I found the presentation and talk interesting. She spoke about how to talk about death and dying with your family and other information that could be helpful.

Last week was on a company that has created a way to decompose the body into soil. It is for people who live in the city where there is not a lot of space to bury people. People here in the country could do green burial. I thought this was an interesting presentation.

The first week featured an architect who has created a living space that can be attached to an existing dwelling to accommodate someone who needs a one level living space or if a family member wants to move in but the house is not big enough or accessible.

I am not sure what next weeks talk will be.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9247 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9247 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2021 :  04:36:45 AM  Show Profile
Holly,
I dont envy you the furnace issues but glad to hear you got it all sorted out and its working and keeping you cozy.
Wondering where all the gals are. Must be a busy time for everyone.
We are still working on the kitchen cabinets. It would be done by now but it has not been a priority and we had some bleed through issues with the paint. Had to sand them back down and do primer. The person who recommended the cabinet/furniture paint said we wouldn't need primer but apparently they had not had this happen. From now on anything I paint is getting primer first. Should be able to finish and get everything back in order between now and Saturday.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2021 :  07:31:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm here. Just busy not getting anything done. It is doldrums I believe. I have to get my butt off this chair and spread my friends ashes in Lakewood Cemetery. I thought of going to where his mom is buried and leaving some there. Maybe I should do that. It is a trip to South Dakota I think. Maybe I can reach some of his relatives. I could use a road trip.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9247 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9247 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2021 :  08:30:43 AM  Show Profile
Marie,
Keeping you in thoughts while you do this for your friend.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2021 :  3:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Here it is only 6:46 in the evening. It is pitch black out with some stars shining and it feels like 10:00 PM well past my bed time. It is nice waking up in the light for a while but this darkness so early is is hard to deal with.

Two weeks ago a chicken that we bought from a farm up north hatched out 5 chicks and then abandoned the nest. I rescued two when I found out but one died so now we have one chick in a big rubbermaid container in the kitchen. It has its wing feathers and is starting to feather out its body. I think it is a hen because the youtube video I watched gave the details on how to tell. She makes a lot of noise. I folded a wire mesh cover for her container. She flew? hopped? out two days ago and I rescued her and then the kittens were very interested in her. So, the wire mesh keeps her safe.

We had snow for a day last week. Now it is very warm for the season in the day.

Sweet dreams.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2021 :  4:44:52 PM  Show Profile
It always seems to me that when we revert back to Standard Time that the dark seems to enclose us sooner. Days are really shorter. It is almost dark here now and it's only 4:30 p.m.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9247 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9247 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2021 :  05:10:56 AM  Show Profile
I never cared for the time changes. But we have our grands who catch their bus early and would be waiting in the dark if we didn't change the time.
The kitchen cabinets are finished. Waiting on the counter top. But everything has finally found its home. So good to have it done. Working on odds and ends. Finding home for wall photos and things like that.
Still getting my craft area set up.

Thinking of you Jana and Marie.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2021 :  12:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Jan, did you get your garden in? How s your dh doing? how are you doing with his illness?

Denise, glad your kitchen is coming together and the end is in site.

Marie, is life settling down, yet?

Today was a lovely fall day. The sun shone with very few clouds in the sky. Yesterday, it was warmer and the snow melted off the mountain tops so they were not as sparkly as they were.

The moon was so bright last night with out the clouds. The night before there was a partial lunar eclipse but we had thick cloud cover so we missed it. The pictures online were interesting to see.

I moved cow hay to the pig pen this morning. The cows will not eat the hay they have stood on but the pigs will. Pushed the hay into the bucket and then dumped it into the pig pen.

I helped move a pile of wood closer to where it was to be stacked for sale. The job should be done by now.

The neighbor came and blocked the wood he was bought and took it away in his dumper trailer. I am glad it is gone to his house. One less responsibility for me.

Sweet dreams everyone,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2021 :  4:01:24 PM  Show Profile
Life has slowed down somewhat. I finished a large project and that feels good.

It is a blanket I made for my job coach for her wedding and a thank you gift for helping me get a job.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2021 :  7:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Our New Zealand student moved to another local family on Friday. I think she will be happier in a home with other young people. At least I don't have to drive her to school!

I'm looking forward to a few days off for Thanksgiving next week. We will go to Coney Island Christmas Night of Lights and see a hockey game!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2021 :  2:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

That afghan is very pretty. I was thinking yesterday when the Herrshner's catalog arrived in the mail that I did not have the attention span to start a new big project but, those kits and colors sure are pretty.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2021 :  3:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh Holly! You can do it. It is so relaxing that I don't want to stop. Grab some tea, a hook and some yarn and just relax.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2021 :  05:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Good early morning,

I hope everyone had a nice day yesterday. We had nine at our table and everyone behaved themselves.

We have a covering of snow on the ground. This is the last weekend of deer rifle season. There are a couple of more weeks of hunting deer for bow and disabled people.

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2021 :  03:10:49 AM  Show Profile
Our guest was a friend of my mother-in-law. She cut her visit short because of aches from a fall she had before she flew to see us. She will see her doctor back in Florida.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754

Edited by - Audra Rose on Nov 27 2021 03:11:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9247 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9247 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2021 :  04:14:53 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa,
Sorry to hear of your guest having to cut her visit short.
We had a lovely day with our daughter and family, there were 8 of us. It was a wonderfully relaxing day. We were expecting 2 more from out of state but due to his sister ending up in icu with pneumonia the beginning of the week they were not able to make it.
We put up our tree yesterday and I want to get it decorated today. We usually don't decorate it until the 2nd of December, my son's birthday, but since moving we are changing up our traditions a little. I may get the all the Christmas decorating finished by the second. Sometimes it's slow going for me.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 27 2021 04:17:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2021 :  12:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,
We had very strong winds last night. It came up the outside hallway and blew open the front door. I put a heavy wooden chair in front of the door on its legs and the wind blew the door open anyway. So, I laid it on its side and that seemed to do the trick.

Temperatures are in the low thirties. This morning the sky was a brilliant blue but clouds moved in by 9 and it has been overcast ever since.

There is a family who makes yurts at Two Girl Farm in Southern New Hampshire. They have a website if you are interested. Anyway, They buy poles to make the frames. We have been cutting poles from our woods. The poles should be no more than 3 inches at the base and then the top measurement varies. Anyway, we have cut 120 poles to take down to sell. I hope they are all straight enough. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive. It took us three mornings to cut the poles and then we had to measure them to length. It was a trial run to see if we could make enough money to make the trip worth it. We will put the money aside to help pay our land taxes.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2021 :  1:42:19 PM  Show Profile
The temperature is 16 F and we have an inch of snow. This has caused over 400 car accidents. We have our heat fixed so now it is so toasty that I have had to crack some of the windows open. I am working on projects today.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9247 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9247 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2021 :  07:06:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh that is cold we don't get down that cold yet Holly and Marie. We have had in the low 20's and some snow twice but it doesn't last and was gone by afternoon.

Just about have everything settled in the house as far as the unpacking and hanging things up. The new cabinets are in the kitchen, waiting on the countertop. Don't expect that before the middle of January or so.

Have been working on swaps and now that those are over I am going to do some organizing in my craft and sewing areas.
Done with Christmas gifts and giving birthday gifts today and Monday.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2021 :  09:23:09 AM  Show Profile
We all believe that this may be a warm winter. The snow is sticking around and the temperature is temperature is just above freezing so the streets are wet. When the temperature drops, there will be ice. Such fun!

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2021 :  07:59:26 AM  Show Profile
I have so much on my plate right now, I a soooo tired and have no energy lately. Bob will be starting his radiation and chemo both on Monday, Hopefully. They keep postponing it. Dr. 2-3 times a week. I am the driver, so that just puts more stress on me with the crazy drivers around here. I did manage to finish up handmade Christmas gifts for my 3 kids and got their gifts out in the mail early.
I got my tomato and green pepper plants in. Seems funny to be planting those in December. Also got a lemon tree planted that I had started from seed. It is about 7 inches tall right now and has a lot of leaves on it. I hope it takes. We have bad soil here, mostly white sand and nothing wants to grow in it but weeds.
I am not baking cookies this year,but will get my breads made and meat pies and cheesy potatoes for Christmas eve. I definitely am starting to feel my age.
Bob took the wheels off my bike so we can take them it to get new tires and tubes put in. They are all weather checked. It is a 3 wheel bike. I miss riding it. Has been almost 4 years, but I need something to do and I sure could use the exercise.
Hope you are all doing well and getting ready for the holidays with ease. Will try to post more soon. Miss all of you.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2021 :  5:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Jan, I would like to be as organized as you are. I would get so much more done. Most days I do get somethings done and then there are days when I can not decide what to do first so the rest can fall into place. I hope your life eases some. Are there not driving services for people who need to go to the doctor? My brother lives in Massachusetts and when he needs to go to his kidney doctor which is an hour and a half a way from his house he calls some service and they send a volunteer driver to take him and return him home. Just a thought to ease some of your stress.

Yesterday temperatures were in the fifties, We had rain so all of the snow disappeared. Today, temperatures dropped to the twenties and it started to snow. There were weather advisories posted and it started to snow. We have only accumulated a couple of inches. I had to pick up two sons at their work and coming home the roads were nasty. I think the top speed I drove was thirty mph. I would feel the tires hit a snow bump and the car would slide sideways. We made it home and I am glad I do not need to go out again tonight.

I am glad Vanessa is ok. I do not know the geography of the south that well to know how close the tornadoes came to you. My neighbors and I agree we will gladly have snowstorms instead of tornados. or earthquakes. or forest fires.

A while ago I cleaned up the area where I start my plants in the spring. I put my extra seeds someplace safe. One of my sons (C) has a science experiment he needs to complete. He wanted to grow plants under different color tents. I could not find my seeds. I did find some coneflower seeds and he planted them. they did not come up. A neighbor donated some alfalfa seeds that she used for making sprouts. They did come up. The cats knock over his tents and pots regularly but they have not killed the plants. I think he needs to keep them growing through January..

C and I brought home the holiday tree today. He sawed it at the tree farm. I am glad that he is strong because he did the majority of the lifting to get it in and out of the truck. We wanted to bring it home before it would be covered with snow. It is in the garage now, waiting.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page