True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2013 :  07:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!

Oh CRAP! I had a long note to tell you wants going on and lost it! HATE TYPING ON LAPTOPS!!! Anyway, I am still in Portland Maine, David has had his foot and part of his leg amputated. I will be here at least another week or two. Since I don't have time to retype it all right now, I did start this journal to keep everyone aware of us at www.caringbridge.org and his Journal or story is at davidbrownmaine

Keep praying for us please!
Ginny

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques
www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2013 :  10:25:45 AM  Show Profile
Ginny, read all of the posts. You and your family have been through so much. Praying for a full recovery and hope David heals fast and everything turns out well with no setbacks. Thank you for keeping us posted. Will keep you in my prayers. Do try to get as much rest as you can, and get away to relax when you are able.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2013 :  2:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I had a good day at home with my dog, radio and projects. I don't watch TV while I am working on stuff because I have to use too many of my senses to pay attention to it. I do like the radio because the pictures are so much better.

I worked for two hours on the sweater I'm making for someone and it is coming along nicely. I really like the colors. I would photograph my progress here but I promised the receipient to only send pictures to her. I'll show it here when it is done.

Lowell has been communicating with people who have answered his ad by having me send them emails. He wishes they would just call. I told him that this is the way people communicate in the 21st century but he will have none of it. Even his 85 year old father uses email and sends photos. He is now trying to get some of his originals onto SoundCloud. I told him to but them on CDs so that I can download them onto our computer and then onto SoundCloud. The digital studio has a malfunction between the keyboard and the hard drive (get it?)which means all the work he has just done to songs does not get saved and he has to do it all over again. It will be a while before these songs appear online.

I am keeping my pumpkins lit until they rot and fall off the window sill. I love to come in the back way and see them grimicing at me.

Holly & Bunny - I've read science fiction, horror and fantasy since I was a kid. My parents read The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and discussed it at the dinner table. I was always the slow reader in the house but I remembered everything. I really like the So You Want to Be a Wizard books by Diane Duane.

Ginny - I read all your posts on Caring Bridge also. I agree with everyone else that you need to take care of yourself first. And yes, sometimes writing on a laptop is a pain in the tush.

It's only 5 PM here. Wow! Plenty of time to do stuff!

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2013 :  6:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Ginny, I am so sorry for what you are going through. After what you've already been through! Enough, already, huh? At least you have your DD back, and I am so glad for that.

Bunny, I do hope your mom leaves and you get a break there.

I do not like horror, science fiction, or Harry potter and the like. I did go to see the Hobbit with my granddaughter and thought parts of it were okay and then I thought it would never end. I'm getting so fussy about how I want to spend my time. We now have TV and it drives me mad. Today we went to IMAX and saw The Flight of the Monarch Butterflies. It was so interesting. They pass through central Texas every October migrating from Canada to Mexico and I have seen them twice. According to this documentary they lay their eggs on the milkweed in central Texas in the spring. I did not know that.

Yesterday we went to a large Celtic festival down on the lake and it was fun. We enjoyed the music and the Highland games. And all the booths. However, I was ready to leave after about 3 hours but B wanted to stay longer, so we did. He really misses his homeland. He bought himself a utility kilt which is a solid color dark green, and a shirt which I would call a peasant shirt, sort of like a poets shirt made from unbleached muslin. I'll see if he will model it for us. I said, " by the way, what DO you guys wear under your kilts"? He said, well, nothing. But then he admitted to wearing shorts under his. He's the shy type. He wouldn't wear his clan kilt to the festival because he didn't have the proper shoes to wear with it. Very proper guy.

Hope you all had a great weekend.

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  08:00:36 AM  Show Profile
Gypsy, my son wants a kilt for working in during the summer. I found a kilt maker on etsy located in the UK. But he wants lots of measurements I can't get without giving away the surprise. However, his prices are very reasonable. $75.00 for a black heavy canvas material with pockets and such for work.
I love all the wire jewelry you posted on Pinterest. I don't see many scarf pins, you. You might try some and see if you could sell them on etsy yourself. I bet you and B would do a great job.

Today is gloomy and dark. I'm expecting rain. I got 3 dresses done yesterday but pooped out before I could get pictures.
Today is business law homework. I'm hoping to et it done early enough to get my dresses online. I don't know what I did different but I had over 300 views the other day. Just wish I could get a sale out of them. One a day is all I ask. Lol

Until later.....

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.etsy.com/shop/CuriousOrangeCat?ref=ss_profile

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  08:02:13 AM  Show Profile
Ginny, thank you for the update. I did check out the site. So sorry for both of you. Sounds like a long road ahead.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  10:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Bunny I remember back when I had a company website, the search engines were critical as were certain search words. I realize what a vague comment that is but thought I'd just throw it in. A big part of being found on line has to do with those two things.

I think B paid a lot more for his kilt. I think it was over 100$. He'd probably like to know the website you found for that price. The sizes had only to do with waist size and length. The skirt wrapped around and fastened with heavy velcro so there was some leeway there, and there were belt loops for a very wide belt. He liked all the pockets. I asked him where he plans to wear it and didn't get a clear answer.

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  10:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Bunny, the company who had the booth is from Oklahoma. I think the website is listed on the socks label if you want to check it out I'll get it for u

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  5:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Ginny I read all of your posts on Caring bridge. I was going to post to you there but thought notes just for you might be awkward. So, I think of you everyday. I hope that you can get home soon to your house, your gardens and your animals. I hope that now David will not be in pain he will be easier to live with and a contributor. Hugs to you.

I like to go to IMAX movies but if I sit too close I get motion sickness. It took me several movies to figure out that I needed to sit up top near the back so I would not have to close my eyes as the airplane or the boats were zooming across the landscape. Some years we have Monarch Butterflies here laying their eggs and the caterpillars eating the milkweed. The chrysalis are beautiful. I did not know until recently that the caterpillars are called Impstars. They seem to go in cycles. About three years ago we had dozens. Last year and this hardly any impstars. It is fascinating to think that one that grows here flies all the way to Mexico for the winter.

Tell Lowell to put in his ad that he wants phone calls and to put in his number. I tell people I am only on at night sometimes and if they want me to get the message they need to call. He is a funny one.

We have a drum and bag pipe band here in the Capital City. They play in parades. You do not need to be Scottish to join. Each summer there is a Scottish festival down near Quechee/Woodstock Vermont. There is someone near here who makes the kilts for the band members. They go to competitions as well. Maybe B could take up the pipes.

There is a carpenter around here who works in a kilt. I think his business cards reflect that as well.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  7:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, if you haven't already, you might add the words shabby chic and boho to your descriptions. I just pinned a top similar to your work. From a place called Rivalry I think. I'm supposed to be following a lot of people but I never see their pins. My daughter follows me and she always knows when I'm pinning.

Ginny, if you are looking in, please know we are thinking about you and trying to send positive energy your way. I join Holly in hoping you will get to return to your home soon.

My little dog, Penny, was playing with her toys tonight and I comment," well, you've got your balls all lined up". From the kitchen, I hear B say, "thank you".

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  7:51:07 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 23 2019 9:02:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  9:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Gypsy, here is the link to the kilt maker in the UK.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KiltTailor?ref=listing-shop-header-item-count

I added four new dresses and added the shabby chic tag. I have used the boho tag before. I get lots of views... just no buyers. I had over 300 the other day.

I saw this shawl pin and thought of you and your wire jewelry.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/108285904/scarf-pin-or-shawl-pin-in-copper-paisley?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=shawl+pins&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto3&ga_explicit_scope=1&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmadeshawl+pins

Time for bed... nite all.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2013 :  10:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

Well, the lady I was making the sweater for a barter canceled on me so I decided to finish the sweater for myself. So here are some pictures.

This is the progress of the sweater so far.

This illustrates the relative sizes of some of the yarn. The bottom one is as thin as thread.

I also made and awesome recipe last night. It is a casserole cooked inside a pumpkin. It is so very yummy. I have plans to alter this recipe.

I'll put the recipe in Farm Kitchen tomorrow.

It is almost 1 AM here and I have to show up at the polls at 6 AM for the election. I hope I make it until 2:30 PM tomorrow.

Gypsy - Ask B about the significance of the tied or untied ribbons on the backs of the caps they wear. As regards to where he will wear the kilt, I'd say he would wear it, you know, around, you like, here and there, like you know, when he wants to.

Bunny - I don't know if this is possible but you might be able to get the measurements needed from some clothes which fit him well.

Holly - Lowell has the phone number in the ad and has told them he prefers to me called to no avail. Everyone wants to email these days. Actually, I type the emails because he never learned how to type.

I better get to bed so I will be able to explain ranked choice voting to absolutely everyone tomorrow.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  08:19:39 AM  Show Profile
Marie, my son lives in another state and the kilt maker says not to use pant measurements anyway.

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6436 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6436 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  09:41:36 AM  Show Profile
Back after being under the weather for a few days. Seems as I get older the harder it is to shake a cold.
Woke to snow this morning, not a lot but just enough for it to be beautiful. It is still snowing on Pikes Peak Mountain, I can see from my sewing room window.
While not feeling well I did manage to get some things in my Etsy Shop, I am just so far behind on everything it seems.
Marie your sweater looks beautiful I can not wait to see it finished, love the colors.
Ginny keeping yo and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Have a beautiful day everyone and stay warm.
Hugs,
Debbie

"LIFE IS 10% WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU AND 90% WHAT YOU DO WITH WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU." ~ANONYMOUS~"

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Nov 05 2013 09:42:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  12:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies :)

Ginny, I'm so sorry to see that your dear hubby had to have his leg amputated but perhaps now that his system isn't battling a severe infection he'll heal quickly and be on the road to a full recovery. Before long he'll has a prosthesis and be up and around again. God is good and he'll take care of you both. Definitely get your rest so you can cope with all of this emotionally.

Bunny, I had to drop by your shop for a look see and omgosh woman you've been busy! So many more adorable tops I just love but of course can't fit into but ONE day I will :) I did surprise myself and got into a denim top I've had for yrs and love but had gotten too fluffy to wear. Now I can again...yippee!

Gypsy, you definitely have to get B into his kilt for pictures. Have you ever read any of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books? They're all about a woman who travels back in time and ends up with a 1700's Scotsman. The books are being made into a TV series that will be on the Starz network in January I think. There is a whole series of books. I loved them all but I'm a historical romance nut.

Holly, I'm so glad you and C had a nice dinner out and shopping without kids is a real treat too! IMAX is such a cool way to watch a film but I agree my first experience had me a bit dizzy. I found I had to look away from the screen during the dips a plane took as I was getting nauseous. It was a film about Alaska and of course it was breathtakingly beautiful.

Marie, Your sweater looks pretty and it's too bad the barter fell through. Also that pumpkin dish looks very yummy. I love pumpkin so please pass on the recipe if you wouldn't mind? I hope Lowell is able to get some band members soon and get his group together. I'm sure he'll be really happy and you might have some quiet nights at home unless you must go to every practice/performance?

Janet, I hope you get completely over your cold and I hear you about the rain and the chill that goes clear to the bone. Perfect weather for a big pot of chili or beef stew. Please take good care of yourself and get plenty of rest. Does your son have a web address for his shop? If so please share. Would love to take a peek :)

Debbie, I am hoping you're on the mend too. I feel for you poor gals getting sick already so soon in the season. It's gonna be a long winter, I'm afraid. Plenty of rest, fluids and good old Vit. C. for you too young lady! LOL

Mar, thinking of you too and hoping you haven't murdered your neighbors LOL.

Huggz to all,
Cheryl

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  5:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Well my baby boy passed the test for the Marines. He just has to be fingerprinted and sworn in and 6 months from now he goes to boot camp. I'm kind of sad.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  6:33:06 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

This election day has been busy. I worked as an election judge for 8 hours today and got paid $70. I also voted. As I said before, we have 35 candidates for mayor but the choices are pretty clear. Our precinct city council election is hotly contested. I meet the incumbent at community functions all the time. I thought she was pretty heavy handed when she wanted to band outdoor dining in a very hot spot of town and she has been doing some negative campaigning against the challenger. It will all sort itself out.

I also had a crochet class the afternoon. The others told me that the girl who quit doesn't like me. I told them I wasn't here to be liked but to teach them about something I love. They complained about winding the yarn into a ball. I said that it was necessary and because I have been doing this for over 40 years and know how to avoid problems. They picked out their patterns for dishcloths but I didn't have time to show them how to start. I'll have to go over pattern directions and get them to start their projects next time. <sigh> So little time for so much information.

Bunny - Sorry, thought your son was closer. I hope he likes the Marines. My little brother was in the Marines and it was a good experience. He is now getting an MBA in project management and wants to work for the Army Reserve in cyber secutity, cyber intelligence and signal intelligence.

Cheryl - I'm not sorry the barter was cancelled but I really do not wish to speak about it here. As far as Lowell's band practices go, when they finally happens, I do not want to be there with three guitars and a bass on amps in our small apartment. There are plenty of coffee shops around here.

I am hoping for an easy day tomorrow but I have to meet with my diabetic nurse practioner and then go to Dungeons & Dragons. I will have a totally free day Thursday. YES!!!!!

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  8:22:09 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, of course you are sad. These life changing events do make us sad and we never stop missing our children. But you want him to have his own life and follow his own dreams. It's a double edged sword, isn't it? I hope you will get to see him and spend a little time together before he goes. Then you have to stay real busy and try to keep it out of your mind.

Cheryl, it's always good to hear from you. I think about you sometimes on the weekends wondering if you are playing with little grandson. I sure miss getting to do that. We have been having some beautiful days and some rainy days here. We really need the rain because our lakes have been too low for years.

I'm being interrupted tonight so will close this and finish it later. Hugs to all

hugs to all my sistas
Gypsy #3534
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2013 :  10:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Gypsy, I haven't seen my youngest son in three years. I only get to see my oldest once a year when he comes for thanksgiving. I spend the day after he leaves crying most of the time. I hate it. The youngest always has to work. In other countries families stay together. Yes, because of cost, but they still stay together longer and take care of each other. Here in the US we are all so eager to be on our own.

Anyway, time for bed.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Chatty Wren
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Diane
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  06:27:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I thought I would pop over and visit since I, too, and in my (ahem!) 50's. I know how you feel Bunny. My younger son lives in Utah, I live in New Jersey. We see him for Christmas and that's it! When he leaves to go back home I cry the next day too. It is a loss for a mother. We can be thankful that they are alive, healthy and living their independent, happy lives. Which is what we raised them to do, right?

Blessings~Diane
http://abbyhannahvintage.com
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  07:54:02 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 23 2019 9:04:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  08:26:00 AM  Show Profile
My mom finally got underway this morning. I felt this terrible sadness I couldn't explain. I really don't like her at all and couldn't figure out what my problem was. And then I realized I was sad because she got to go back to California and I'm still stuck here. I'm glad she is gone, but I wanted to be the one going. I'm sure in a few days I'll be fine.

Gypsy, it must be so hard to have your son so far away. It's not like you can just jump in the car to see him. I wonder if they realize how much it hurts to live so far removed from their lives.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  1:30:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi farmgirls,

Sorry for your heartache, Bunny and Gypsy. As you said, it is what it is.

Welcome, Diane.

Cheryl, so glad to hear you are around still.

Debbie, let's hope you got that cold out of the way for the winter!

Ginny, thinking of you.

Holly, I would want to watch the Kilted Carpenter in action just for the giggles.

Gypsy, so glad to hear the balls are in a row...

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  3:07:42 PM  Show Profile
Marie, I bet you are kind of happy to get to finish that sweater for yourself!!
Mar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page