Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Our new babies - The flock is GROWING!!! 3/8
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Our new babies - The flock is GROWING!!! 3/8 Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  10:29:48 AM  Show Profile

Had them in the brooder in the barn, but lost several - have moved them in the house until we figure out the problem. We've used that brooder for years and never had a problem. Any ideas? It's been cleaned and is warm - we had a heat lamp and a milk house heater suspended from the ceiling. Thermometer and a little bit of air circulation up high to keep them out of a draft. I just can't figure it out.

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Edited by - FARMALLChick on Mar 08 2013 07:34:36 AM

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  11:19:07 AM  Show Profile
The babies - will be moving to the hen house soon. They are almost completely fledged. They just have a few little baby fluffs on their heads. We will be putting a heat lamp in with them for the next month or so and gradually cut back on it. (unless it gets really really cold). DH has put in all new bedding, feed/water hangers and nesting boxes. He is working on a new ramp and door. He is going to put plastic over the screen door for draft protection. The coop is next. There's a few places in the fence that need repair.

When they get moved out, we are going to completely clean the brooder again and get ready for a new batch of peeps.

www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  11:37:54 AM  Show Profile
Did you check for drafts? Remember cold air falls and hot air rises. I use a bunny cage for my brooder it is hanging inside the henhouseabout 40" off the ground. I put 4 layers of paper towels on the bottom,changed daily. I have feed sacks clothespinnned on all sides and over the top, except for 6 to 8" around the heat lamp. The heat lamp has a guard and I rest that on top of the cage. I check the feedsacks around the heat lamp every time I go to check on the babies and move it back if needed. I always lose 1 or 2 out of 12 or so, I guess some are just weak and don't thrive. Hope this helps

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  11:46:50 AM  Show Profile
What varieties are they? There was a lot of color variation in them. I remember having to round out the corners so some couldn't get trampled if they were frightened.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, thanks for the tips. I will make sure they are out of drafts!

Susan - not to sure about breeds yet. I bought the "LeAnn's Adopt Me Mystery" grab bag - Your guess is as good as mine. I have an identification book and have been trying to figure it out. I think 4 are Buff Orps. I have 2 black ones that have feathered legs - it certainly is a colorful bunch! I will try to get some well-lit pics of them to post. Maybe you girls can help me figure it out!

www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Edited by - FARMALLChick on Feb 18 2013 12:13:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  4:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Such cute little babies. Thanks for the picture.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  07:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Went to the farm store again last week and bought another 10. These were Blue Andalusians. Then went this week and bought Auracanas and a couple of oddballs that DS wanted. Last night DH and DS went to Strawtown auction and came home with 15 more chicks - Buff orps and some black ones. Today he calls from TSC and says he bought me something. When I asked what is was he says "Chicks." And he's going back to get MORE! And he calls me the crazy chicken lady....He also got offered a job there! The assistant manager was impressed with how he stepped up and helped a chicken newbie decide what chickens to buy.

*****Just talked to him again while I was typing this and he ended up with 54 more chicks and 14 ducks. OMG! The ducks we are going to sell at the auction next week except for 2 for DS. He's thinking about selling some of the chicks over there too because he paid 1.25 and 1.50 for the ones he bought last night. He only paid .50 each for them today at TSC including the ducks.

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  08:28:36 AM  Show Profile

These are some of the chicks from the first picture at the top of this entry. The little black and white rooster with the white head has started crowing. I crack up everytime - it's soooo funny. I crow back, he stares, thinks about it and then crows again! bahahahahaha

Edited by - FARMALLChick on Mar 08 2013 08:30:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  09:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Lora: I love to hear them crowing!!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2013 :  4:52:03 PM  Show Profile
very cute...2 tips, watch combining chicks from differant places till they have been there a couple of weeks due to disease,and when you crow back at a rooster, he may take it as a challenge , and you could end up with a mean one...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Our new babies - The flock is GROWING!!! 3/8 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page