Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Wood cook stove for Missouri
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Wood cook stove for Missouri Next Topic  

mustangmomma
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Becky
Princeton MO
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  3:49:35 PM  Show Profile

Ok Fellow Farmgirls. I am exhausted searching the Internet looking for a wood cook stove for my farm house. Nothing sounds better than watching the flames flicker while I sit reading on a rainy, cold day. I'm also a real savvy chef when it comes to my gas stove in the city, but I've never tried to make magic on a wood cook stove. I'm expected to spend this Spring breathing life into an approx 5,000 sq ft Amish farm house and put roughly 5 of the 26 acres into food production. (So, lots of canning.)
So far I've seen the Bakers Oven & the Pioneer Stoves - I'm familiar with Lehman's - is there a retail outlet for wood cook stoves in upper central Missouri?
I have no gas or electricity except for small propane bottles and a minor generator.
I'm interested in a smaller lp refrigerator too.
Any insight will help.

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  4:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Becky,
been there ... done all that to a 3800 sq. foot true Amish farm. No bathroom (outhouse) no electric, no water other than spring fed. Just a house ... Needed everything.
If you are buying an Amish farm (from Amish) they always have little community shops that sell, feed,wood stoves and so on. We bought a Margin Gem Pac with water res. really great stove,exspensive but well worth it. We bought it at an Amish store, they can order just about anything and will have tons of booklets. I would start there. Shipping will kill you if you buy on line. We now have a flame view, smaller cleaner no water res. heats and cooks great, but I miss my gem!
Good luck making your Amish farm English!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

u.p.farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

annette
bruce crossing michigan
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2013 :  7:51:05 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried craigslist? My husband got one as partial payment. I didn't know about it until he brought it home. I didn't want it and sold it on craigslist. You could even put an add on there that you WTB as someone might have one and didn't even think anyone would want it.Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  08:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Becky, I follow a wood cookstove blog site http://woodcookstovecooking.blogspot.com/ maybe you can get some info from him.
Go to Top of Page

dove_99
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Catherine
Bellaire Michigan
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2013 :  03:47:58 AM  Show Profile
A friend has a wood cook stove for sale. She is asking 1200.00 for it. Problem is, that it is in northern Michigan. It can be seen on Craigslist under farm and garden. If interested, my number is 231-350-1383. It is a Kalamazoo from the 40's or 50's. I do not remember which. Hope you already found one.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2013 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile
As for the cost of shipping a large object. Many times barrel racers are looking for something to haul when they are going to an out of state barrel race. Many times they only want help with the gas. Look on barrelhorseworld .com. Also here is a link to a place where people bid on things to haul. One can find some pretty good prices on it.
http://www.uship.com/freight-brokers/
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

jkstidham
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jill
LaPlata Missouri
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2014 :  10:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Six months ago we bought a house from the Amish in Northeast Missouri. We purchased a Kitchen Queen 480 wood cookstove, it heats our house of 1,200 sq ft and does a fabulous job on the baking and cooking. We also have an electric stove, but rarely use it as all of the food tastes better when it comes off the cook stove. We ordered our Kitchen Queen online and it was delivered to our house. That was such an exciting day! The stove sat in it's spot for 2 months or so while we finished up some remodeling of the kitchen, ran electric, and reconnected the bathroom plumbing(before the house was Amish it was English). Our basset hound, Lucy, sleeps on the hearth, it's such a heart warming sight! I have canned on the Kitchen Queen and it was much easier to maneuver all of my pots and the canner then on our old electric stove. We bought the water tanks and the warming shelf that go with it. The warming shelf keeps our baked goods warm and the water tanks provide our house with hot water and the humidity that it needs to stay comfortable feeling. Some day my husband wants to tie it in to the hot water heater. I am not sure how he plans to do that, but I know he will figure it out!

May your life be filled with many blessings,

Jill
Farmgirl #5870
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  04:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jill, congratulations on getting your wood stove installed and working like a charm. What a challenge but it sounds like you have everything working in tip top shape! Post us a photo if you can so we can see this handsome stove!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

jkstidham
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jill
LaPlata Missouri
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  04:48:34 AM  Show Profile
This is a photo of our dog Lucy sleeping on the hearth in front of our Kitchen Queen on a cold day in November.

[URL=http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/Jkstidham/media/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/1376414_10205131727995550_2033182496867375246_n.jpg.html][/URL]
Mustangmomma, there is supposed to be a retailer for woodstoves somewhere near La Plata, unfortunately I did not find this out until after we ordered our Kitchen Queen online so I have no idea where it is, but we have an Amish community near by, when we go to buy milk next, we can ask them if they know where it is. :)

Jill
Farmgirl #5870
Go to Top of Page

jkstidham
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jill
LaPlata Missouri
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  04:49:20 AM  Show Profile
sorry for the giant picture, it's the first I've ever posted!

Jill
Farmgirl #5870
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  05:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jill, What a beauty!! It looks quite fancy and I bet the newer technology makes this stove very efficient and dependable. Thanks for posting so I could see!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2014 :  09:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I bought a blue enameled wood cookstove years ago in Nevada and moved it to our house in California for a while. My ex has it now, and though I have no place for it in this house, I'd love to have it to use outside. It is a beauty - 20 gallon water reservoir on the right side, 2 warming ovens, large oven, wood box, and 4 or 6 burners - I can't remember. LOL! A friend in Nevada had one in their house and we cooked thanksgiving dinner on it one year. It was great!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  11:09:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey Linda,

I'd take a road trip to get my hands on a nice wood burning cookstove. Would your ex sell it?

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  07:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sorry, Terra -
I'd like to move the stove here to Texas. LOL!
If that changes, I will let you know.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  09:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Interesting thread! Your stove looks wonderful, Jill. It was interesting to read about the home going from English to Amish and back to English again. Our contractor is Amish, and when he built his own home, he discovered that the bank would give him a lower interest rate on the loan if he wired the house for electricity! How odd. So of course he wired the house and didn't hook it up. Maybe it has something to do with resale value or whatever, but I still can't work it out in my head. We have lots and lots of Amish neighbors and I know the banks here locally do a lot of business with them. It would be interesting to know what the logic was. He didn't have to hook up to the grid, but he had to put in the wires.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  08:02:48 AM  Show Profile
I sold an old wood cook stove to a Farmgirl some years ago -- a "Victor Junior" made in the 1920s. It was cast iron with white enamel over parts of it. Totally fabulous, but we couldn't use it because the chimneys in our old farmhouse are o longer functional. Also, it took up too much space in our kitchen. I think I got $400 for it. When I last heard from the buyer, she was using it for extra heat and coziness in her home! (She sent me pictures.) Those things just don't die! Keep looking and good luck!

ps: Be sure your chimney and the stove you choose are a good match, and be sure to get it cleaned.

Edited by - Rosemary on May 24 2015 08:03:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  4:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Have you checked out this site? http://www.discountstoves.net/wood-cook-stoves-s/37.htm Lots of choices and good prices. Don't know about shipping though. I am also looking for a woodburning cook stove. I used to have a 1905 Glenwood, my ex took a sledge hammer to it. I loved that stove, cast iron with nickel plated trim.

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447

http://hennypennyfarm.blogspot.com/
http://time-2-sew.com
http://coupons-coupons-coupons.com
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Wood cook stove for Missouri Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page