Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Best cutting of hay for sheep and goats?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Best cutting of hay for sheep and goats? Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  10:42:03 AM  Show Profile
I am wondering what is the best cutting, 1st or 2nd, for goats or sheep? I just drove past a farm that cuts hay and theirs looks really good. No weeds or flowers or bushes. They do fertilize with chicken manure and probably spray with Graze-On for weeds. But that's ok with me. I just need a better quality hay for my sheep and goats for next fall and winter.

What do y'all like best. 1st or 2nd cuttings?

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  11:26:38 AM  Show Profile
howdy kris, i do not have goats right now i have heard a lot of thoughts on it. i usually try to buy 2nd cutting for our girls even our does did well on it. if i am thinking right it is less stemmy. you are so busy lately i am proud to know you. which market are you going to go to? i so wish i could do what your doing some times home bound sucks. LOL anyway just my humble opinion. happy days to you sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  11:36:37 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I was thinking 2nd cutting too. I think I'll stop to see if I can reserve some of his hay for the 2nd cutting. It really looks good. And he sells his fast. I may already be too late. I want to make a pallet hay barn to store hay in instead of my little house.

I just found out I made it into the Main St. market in Chattanooga for Wednesday 4-6!!! I am SO excited about this. People there really care about what they eat and I hope to be able to make a little profit there. And then the Brainerd market on Saturday mornings from 10-12.

I'm making dandelion jelly right now to take to market. And I hope to be able to take my soap and make up baskets for Mother's day gifts.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  11:48:35 AM  Show Profile
kris, 2nd cutting is always better, as others have said, much less stemmy, better flowers, finer , less, if any at all weeds, and second cutting has much less weed killer on it

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  6:33:48 PM  Show Profile
We usualy buy second or third cutting. Last year with the drought we couldn't be ask picky and ended up with sub standard hay.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  7:05:52 PM  Show Profile
I will stop by tomorrow while I'm out. He's just a few miles from here. There is also a farm up past me that has really good hay too. The guy I have been getting hay from doesn't have the best hay but the goats like it. All bushy and weedy but not good quality at all. I think that's one reason I had so much sickness with both sheep and goats this laming and kidding season. So I have to do something. Thanks y'all.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2013 :  8:29:52 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I don't know too much about sheep or goats. But, my BIL cuts hay and I hear him talk about selling the second cutting to farmers who want it for their sheep. I hope you find some yummy hay for the sheep and goats. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  06:02:36 AM  Show Profile
2nd cutting is usually best, but I would be concerned they are using chicken manure on their fields of hay.

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  06:12:49 AM  Show Profile
jennifer what is wrong with chicken manure for fertilizer? just wondering your thought.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  8:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Everyone around here uses chicken litter from all the chicken houses here. They do all around me too. I live right in the middle of hay feilds. It's smelly for just a little while. I have seen chicken parts out there sometimes. That's scary. But the hay is good.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  4:51:12 PM  Show Profile
If you live in am area where it is almost impossible to get a second crop.harvest, like here on the Maine coast, finer grass hay is preferred. We sell hay to a customer with strictly goats (pets) and that is what they seem to like best.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2013 :  05:30:31 AM  Show Profile
Around here, they can cut hay 3 times a season, if it's a good year. Last year was. And it's about ready to be cut in May. As much rain as we've had, it's already over the knee deep.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2013 :  06:52:04 AM  Show Profile
kris, how i would love to have your grass. we are just starting to have it long enough for the cows to eat now. your goats have some happy days.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2013 :  4:25:50 PM  Show Profile
I have 4 bales left. And I just went through 1 1/2 today. It's been doing nothing but raining for days now. So the sheep and goats are staying inside. Will it ever stop raining again?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 04 2013 :  7:22:34 PM  Show Profile
be thankful you are getting rain, here where I live, we are only at 17% of our snowpack, that is really, really bad, major drought here we come...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  09:07:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, we have had at least 6" the past few days here. My garden is under water. My okra and kale were washed away. But I am thankful for the rain. Even though it's a big ole mud pit out there right now. I do wish some of this would go out there to you, Tina. I did hear there was rain coming to LA.

Kris

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Best cutting of hay for sheep and goats? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page