Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Solar Cooking - Any Tips and Recipes To Share?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Solar Cooking - Any Tips and Recipes To Share? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Well, it's finally going to be a run of sunny days, so I'm preparing my solar cooker right now to cook our first meal! SO excited!

Today I'll be cooking raspberry chicken with rice and vegetables. It's my first time, so I'm not sure how great it will go, but I'm going to give it my best! (I have pierogies as a stand by - just in case!) :) Our neighbor is an older gentleman who has never heard of cooking this way, and thinks it's the coolest thing since sliced bread! He keeps coming out and asking, "Is it ready yet?" LOL! I think he's looking forward to dinner! I hope it's not a big "fail!" LOL! Tomorrow, I'm planning to make bread - I can't wait: he's going to be a hoot! LOL! ;)

Do you have any special tips about using a solar oven or recipes to share? What are your experiences with this?

Keep your fingers crossed for me, okay? ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3437 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3437 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  10:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini I sure hope it works out for you. I need to start doing that, as hot as it gets here probably would not take long to cook. Let us know how it goes.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  11:26:32 AM  Show Profile
I haven't cooked with one but I have been reading about it. Here is a link that has information and recipes! Thought I would pass it on.
http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2013/04/16/sun-oven-class-part-one/food-storage-recipes

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  3:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kelly - I'll keep you posted!

Sandra - THANK YOU! I ended up checking out most of the videos on the Sun Oven website. I had not focused the oven on/in the sun properly at first, but as soon as I figured it out, seemed to work like a charm!

Just waiting for my guys to get home from work... Everything is keeping warm in the sun! Can't wait to try it!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2866 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2866 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  3:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Nini!
Give us a full report! Jane, over at HardWorkHomestead did this, but she discontinued her blog. Can you take pics????
Would love to see your meal!!!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  5:21:52 PM  Show Profile
OH! I didn't even THINK to take pics!!! I'm sorry, Lisa! NEXT time! Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to make bread as planned!!!

Okay - so - it was - AWESOME!!!! I put the rice, water and veggies in the bottom of the stackable pot, put the chicken (frozen) on top with some raspberry dressing as a marinade. I popped it all the Sun Oven around 2:00 PM our time (had to clean it with vinegar first, so I had a delay and was late getting started). It heated up to 300 degrees in no time, but I had to be vigilant about rotating it every 30 minutes because the sun really moved and I was afraid there wouldn't be enough time to "slow cook" the food if the temp went too low. The temp averaged around 250 - 300 degrees until I angled everything properly, and then it stayed at around 300 degrees. Around 6:30, I couldn't take the suspense anymore (plus the guys were REALLY late tonight), so I opened the pots and - VOILA! - everything was done. By that time, the oven had gone down to about 150 degrees (sun was going down too much, I guess), so I took the pans out of the oven, plopped them on the dinner table, covered them with kitchen towels to keep it warm, and waited... and waited... and waited... The guys finally got home around 7:40, and as soon as they came in the door, I started serving up dinner (It was still HOT!) - chicken breast, rice mixed with veggies and drizzled with raspberry chicken sauce, and fresh whole strawberries on the side. They couldn't say grace fast enough. Everything was deee-licious and cooked to perfection. (Well, actually, the rice was a little sticky - but that was my fault. I didn't realize I needed to cut back on the water a little. It was still good, though!) My husband couldn't get over that this was cooked with sun alone and that I didn't use our gas oven! As they wolfed it down, both kept commenting how good it was, and my husband, in particular, was amazed at how tender the chicken was! Needless to say, Sun Oven dinner was a BIG hit! And clean-up was such a breeze! All I had to do was wipe clean the inside of the oven (had a little moisture in the bottom), fold it up, snap the lid shut and carry it back into the house! The pans weren't even remotely sticky, either - super easy to clean! I'm telling you, if solar cooked bread is as good as the claims, I will be hooked forever! I probably won't use the oven again until I absolutely HAVE to! LOL!

Oh my goodness! I just realized! I forgot all about my neighbor! Nuts!!! I guess if the bread turns out well, I'll just have to give him one of the warm loaves!!! I can't believe I did that!!! Geez-oh-man!

Well... until tomorrow, then!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 01 2013 5:23:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2866 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2866 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  6:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Nini, give us details on the solar oven, when time allows... I SOOO want to try this!
I'm drooling, since we are having hot dogs on the fire tonight!.. Raspberry chicken sounds SOO much tastier!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  02:51:40 AM  Show Profile
Lisa - what do you want to know, exactly? I'll be happy to share! :) I know my guys love their hot dogs, but I can't eat them unless they're smothered so I can't taste them! LOL! So, yeah, I'm with you - raspberry chicken is MUCH better! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2866 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2866 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  08:49:02 AM  Show Profile
Tell me about your oven??

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  10:28:46 AM  Show Profile
We purchased the All American Sun Oven on sale when it came out: http://www.sunoven.com/all-american-sun-oven We liked it because the interior chamber is a little bit larger than the on in their Global Sun Oven, plus a few improvements like the adjustable alignment leg with ground stakes. We also liked the gasket seal around the edge, which apparently helps retain heat, so foods are supposed to cook more quickly (It sounded good, anyway! LOL!). I also really like its versatility - I will be able to use it to dehydrate foods, too!

When our son was little, we made a solar oven from scratch as part of his homeschool. It worked pretty well, surprisingly, but at the time, we didn't really feel we had a use for one. Last summer, I ended up using our oven in our little kitchen, which does not have any type of air conditioning, way more than I ever had before. Our gas grill works fairly well as an oven, but it requires fuel. We wanted to find a way to become less reliant on any type of purchased energy (to be green, in case of emergency, and various other reasons), so solar cooking seemed like a great option. I did a little research, and this sun oven seemed to meet all my wants and desires. It's far from cheap, but I know we will get plenty of use out of it, all year round, and I can see that it will quickly pay for itself! I can use it for baking, roasting, steaming, slow-cooking, making pizza, dehydrating foods - pretty much anything for which I would use my stove and oven! I especially love that solar cooking relies on the sun's rays instead of heat, so we can use it year round - even when there's snow on the ground! Imagine that!

I have to get back to homeschool, but if you have any specific questions, please let me know! Oh! And I forgot to start the bread when my hubby left for work, so today I'm cooking frozen meatballs in spaghetti sauce - my son is so excited!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 02 2013 12:42:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3437 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3437 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  11:14:42 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I am so glad it turned out so well for you. Now I am going to look it all up and try and get one myself. You are so nice to share and get all of us so interested.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  12:46:42 PM  Show Profile
You're so, so welcome, Kelly! Next I want to buy some different sized pans. The oven came with stackable graniteware pots and Wilton bread pans (as well as drying/dehydrating racks), but I think I'd like to get a suitable roaster (13"), and maybe some cookie sheets! My bakeware is pretty much all Salmon Falls Pottery... I think they would be okay, but maybe a lighter weight glass 13x9 would be better for the sun oven (or, if I can find one, a graniteware 9 x 13). They say that you can use cast iron in it, and I do have a skillet and a Dutch oven; but they recommend a dark colored, lighter weight metal pan like the graniteware as being best. We'll see... I may just try my pottery out one of these days and see how it goes before I buy anything else! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 02 2013 12:48:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2866 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2866 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  1:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Nini, so you got the one that is advertised as dehydrating & preparedness? We just got our small tax refund back, & I was thingking dishes, but now I am thinking Sun Oven!!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  2:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Yes! That's the one. I just went back through my email, though, because I swear there was another sale on that package for just $319 or $329... but I must've deleted it. I'm sorry! You know, I would do a little shopping around online before buying - I know there was a sale out there somewhere... I had seen it for sale on Honeyville Grain for a while, too, but they're back up to $400. I'm sure you can find it on ebay for a good price, too! I think you'll be pleased, believe me!

The meatballs and sauce were done in 2 1/2 hours (remember, the meatballs were frozen when they went in!)! They probably were done sooner, but I didn't want to take them out too early before my hubby got home. Again, when I did take them out, I covered them with dish towels and everything as still hot an hour and a half later! (Sorry, but no pics again - the guys started digging in while I went to get the camera!)

When I took the meatballs out, I put an apple cake right in after. It's been out there for a little over an hour, but the glass is steamed (good sign, I think!) so I can't see how it's progressing. I don't want to disturb the cooking process, so I'm going to hold off opening the door. The oven has been staying at around 275 - 300, but the sun is starting to go down, so I'm not sure whether it will cook properly or not. I've started going out to reposition it more often - about every 20 minutes. I'll let it sit until it stops maintaining temperature. The good thing is, it won't overcook if I leave it in. We'll just have to see! Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  4:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Mmmmmm! Apple cake baked by the sun!

It was done in two hours! Oh my so good! I will say, though, it was very moist and gooey, but crunchy on top just like when I bake it in my gas oven... maybe I should've baked it longer? I don't know... the guys didn't care - they wolfed it down like no tomorrow! LOL!

I really am liking this... I just need a lot more practice! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 02 2013 4:21:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  5:46:19 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I have a global sun oven. I have trouble getting my oven hotter than around 215 degrees. I know they can get hotter than that. What would you suggest to get the oven hotter? I love using it. I did buy some silver reflective sun screens used in cars. I am going to wrap it around the outside of the reflectors of my units and make it a bit higher. Also I am going to increase the angle/tilt of the oven and see if that helps. I get condensation on the glass and wonder if that makes the temp stay lower. I don't know, just trying to figure it out.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Kem - I know what you mean. The first time I tried it, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't get hotter. I ended up adjusting the tilt of the oven and it worked like a charm. I also keep going out about every 30 minutes or so to realign it with the sun - even if only for an inch or so. They say it's not necessary if you're slow cooking, but I did find that it helps keep the temperature more consistent. At one point today, it got up to 325, but it remained fairly steady at 300 degress. I know that it should get up higher than that - probably in the summer when the earth is closer to the sun. And supposedly the best hours to cook are between 10 AM and 2 PM, but I've been cooking later than that without any problem. I suppose it would not take so long if I start sooner, but my hubby gets home in the early evening, so I've been trying to plan to have it ready when he arrives. I am wondering if the heat outdoors will also make the temperature rise higher. I am eager to see if the heat of summer makes any difference, too! But honestly - try the tilt of the oven. I think the only time you don't need to really tilt it is when it's high in the noon sky... other than that, even a slight tilt will probably make a difference. You just want to see sort of a "glow" come over the inside chamber and on the pan. That's what seems to work for me, anyway. I still have a long way to go, so I'm really hoping some more experienced farmgirls will chime in with tips, insights, hints and recipes! :) Let me know how you make out though, okay? Good luck!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  7:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh! And one more thing, Kem - I don't know that wrapping the outside reflectors will work because it's really the sun's rays that reflect into the oven that do the cooking - it's not an insulation thing. The darkness of the chamber soaks up and retains the heat. Are you using dark pans? They suggest dark, thin-metal pans as the best to cook in because they soak in the heat rather than reflecting it. Maybe that would help, too?

I do get the condensation, too, but I think that just means things are cooking. I honestly don't think it affects the temperature in a negative way - I look at it as an exciting thing! I just hate how it blocks my view of the thermometer! LOL!

Also - Kem, when you turn the levers onto the glass, is the seal tight? Not break-the-glass tight, but tight enough that the glass is sealed down. I know that if the seal isn't tight, the hot air will escape, and the temperature inside the oven will go down. Just a thought! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 02 2013 7:32:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  10:35:09 AM  Show Profile
ok I really really really want one now...on my list of things I NEED next year! I soooo want one!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  07:34:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

Just a quick update... We've been having a lot of rain and cloudy days, so I haven't really used the solar oven very much. I did, however, make bread one day and thought I'd share some pics:

It was so funny. Our neighbor came out to see what I was making. I told him I had made bread in the Sun Oven. He said, "Nooo-a... You-a kiddin-a me!" I shook my head and assured him I was serious - did he want to see and give it a try? "Suuure!" he said. I ran in the house and brought out my bread board, displaying a whole, uncut loaf, and a storage bag containing the other sliced loaf. He was amazed. "You-a did-a dat witta da sun? I'll-a be-a sonofagun!" I offered him to try a piece. At first taste, his eyes popped, "Ooooohh.. You-a made-a this-a witta da real-a butter? Ooohhhh.. Sooo-a good! This-a would-a be-a a-good-a a-toasted! Make-a a-good-a toast!" LOL! Toast! LOL! I told him he could have the bag with the sliced bread. Boy was he thrilled - he looked like a little boy who was just given a cookie! LOL! With a twinkle in his eye, he proclaimed, "Ooohh... between-a this-a and-a da garden-a, you a-gonna save-a me-a lotta money atta da grocery store-a this-a summer!" Then ran right into the house to make his-a toast! LOL! I guess I will, then! LOL!!

I still need a really good bread recipe, though. I've been playing around with recipes from different cookbooks in the cupboard, and they're good, but I'm still not quite happy with the taste. For now, though, everyone's happy! :)

I'm looking outside and wishing for the sun... It could be a week before we see sun again! Well, at least it'll give me some time to figure out what to cook next! I'm thinking lemon chicken, or chili or something. I can't wait!

Have a great weekend!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  07:37:17 AM  Show Profile
Just one other thing. When making bread they suggest you spray it with water to help the top brown. I didn't do that. Instead I brushed it with a little melted butter, and it browned just fine. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  10:16:33 AM  Show Profile
This is making me want one.........!!! Wow the bread and apple cake look great. Thanks for sharing your experiences with your solar cooker. This is on my wish list for sure.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 15 2013 10:17:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  10:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh, it's fun, Linda, believe me. I have been so bummed because we've been having rainy, winter-like weather, and not a stitch of sun in the sky. Believe me, it's been so cold, I've NEEDED to run my kitchen oven just to warm up the place a little bit! My hubby's co-workers have been so disappointed that he hasn't come in with solar-cooked lunches in a while... This has been the talk of the table! LOL! I'm hoping to get to use it again this weekend, though. I'm going to try making fish, broccoli with lemon and baked potatoes, I think. I was also thinking it might be kind of neat to try a no-cook noodle veggie lasagne at some point. I'm making a list of things to try... If anyone has suggestions, please do let me know and I'll give it a whirl for you! :) I'll happily be your pre-tester!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  11:14:44 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't put uncooked pasta in it. From experience pasta not put in hot or boiling temps comes out gummy. It will cook but be gummy.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  2:52:27 PM  Show Profile
I was a very very bad girl. I was watching demo's of sun ovens today and dreaming about them. Then I went back to look at the weather and a coupon for $70 off popped up to the left of my screen. I considered this a sign and I should not ignore it. So I was bad and charged it. I know its not a need but I really really want it. I am so darn excited I can't stand it. I can't wait to get it. Anyway thought I would share.
Now I will have to be good for at least a year or more before I can be this bad again.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on May 15 2013 3:36:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3437 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3437 Posts

Posted - May 15 2013 :  4:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Nini, all your pictured food looks scrumptious. I am so glad you are loving using it. I have one on my want list now too and when we can its going to be bought. Thanks for all the inspiration.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Solar Cooking - Any Tips and Recipes To Share? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page