churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2013 :  3:43:01 PM  Show Profile
I will be getting some baking apples from my neighbor soon. I want to make apple butter. May I borrow someone's tried and true recipe? Also, I want to know what kinds of jars to use and if I can keep it in the cupboard until I open the jar.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2013 :  5:13:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Marie,

Here is our tried and true recipe. You will need to process the jars in a water bath canner if you want to store it in the cupboard. You can purchase canning jars (Ball or Kerr brand) at Wal-Mart by the dozen and you can use either half-pint or pint sized jars.

Crock Pot Apple Butter

Wash and cook apples in large pot after removing stem and blossom ends, When tender and cooled, push through sieve or food mill.

8 Cups Applesauce
4 Cups Sugar (2-white/2 lt. brown)
½ cup apple cider
2-teaspoons cinnamon
1-teaspoon ground cloves
A pinch of baking cocoa

Place all ingredients in crock-pot. Cook on low 10-12 hours. Make sure steam escapes when it starts boiling. Stir occasionally. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

Yield: 4-6 pints

*You may need to adjust cooking time for desired thickness:)

To Can: You want to make sure that you have sterilized the canning jars. Place the lids and bands in a saucepan and pour boiling water in the pan to cover. Using a canning funnel (you can find this anywhere that sells canning equipment) on the jar, ladle the apple butter into the jar leaving 1/8-inch headspace. Try not to leave any air pockets in the jar. Wipe the rim of the jar with a wet, clean cloth. Place lid on jar and then screw band around jar. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes (check to see if you need to adjust for altitude. You can freeze it in containers also.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 12 2013 5:14:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3021 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3021 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2013 :  5:40:10 PM  Show Profile
Sharon,
That sounds wonderful. I just tried making some for the first time yesterday and I wasn't very satisfied with the way it tasted. It was just apples, sugar, water, and cinnamon. I'm going to write down your recipe and try it next time. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2013 :  5:46:30 PM  Show Profile
So I can't just put the jars in a big pot of boiling water for 10 minutes?

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2013 :  9:19:52 PM  Show Profile
Marie, my recipe and a step-by-step photo tutorial on making apple butter is at my blog. Mine is the kind that you put into the jars and waterbath. I use half pint and pint jars (half pints make great gifts) and they can stay on your shelf for a couple of years until you open them. Then you keep them in the frig after opening. The post is at http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?p=1921 Maybe that will help? :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  05:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Just wanted to share my recipe, everyone I have given it to loves it 6 pounds of apples, 2 tablespoons vanilla extract, 1.5 cups of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 3-4 teaspoons cinnamon Peel, core, and slice apples in fourths. Put in crock pot with vanilla and cook on low for 6-8 hours, stir every few hours. Once apples are tender, mash with a potato masher and stir in sugar and spices. Cook on low for another 5-6 hours stirring occasionally. you can freeze it or hot water bath it for 10 minutes. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  08:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. I will make this an experience.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  08:25:58 AM  Show Profile
I cook my apples in my crock pot. Lots easier. I just add sugar and spices to taste and do them in the water bath canner according to the Ball canning book. Applesauce the same way. I don't actually sweeten my apple sauce or apple butter but that is because I prefer the sugar free.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alanna Neupert
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Alanna
cabot PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  7:02:48 PM  Show Profile
Good evening from the farm.... made rphelps4 apple butter tonite, wow, gteat flavor, love this recipe and so easy....... I', def going to make this again! Alanna
Go to Top of Page

MTFarmLPN
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

52 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  08:19:24 AM  Show Profile
I have been looking for a recipe for this, will have to try when I get a few days off. Thanks for sharing.
Christa
Go to Top of Page

Alanna Neupert
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Alanna
cabot PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  01:57:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks again for the wonderful applebutter recipe, I shared this recipe with some of my friends and they all loved it .... I love the addition of vanilla to this recipe, it tastes so good on homemade bread... So very good, thanks for sharing this great recipe !
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  06:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Alanna I am glad you are enjoying the applebutter, my family and everyone I have shared it with loves it! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  08:27:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rphelps4

Just wanted to share my recipe, everyone I have given it to loves it 6 pounds of apples, 2 tablespoons vanilla extract, 1.5 cups of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 3-4 teaspoons cinnamon Peel, core, and slice apples in fourths. Put in crock pot with vanilla and cook on low for 6-8 hours, stir every few hours. Once apples are tender, mash with a potato masher and stir in sugar and spices. Cook on low for another 5-6 hours stirring occasionally. you can freeze it or hot water bath it for 10 minutes. Roxanna

This recipe sounds awesome. Must do. I love apple butter. My neighboor taught me to use a turkey roaster and roast the apple butter at 200º for like 12 hours. Had to stir it every hour. And you had to prepare the apple and make applesauce first. I love this approach. Thanks for sharing.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  06:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Cissik, I made applebutter also with a neighbor and we cooked in the oven all night at 200 degrees, the crock pot recipe reminds of that. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Apple Butter Recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page