windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  04:12:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sandra, loved the picture of your new lamb. It is soooo cute. Enjoy using your sheeps wool, it is so nice and warm.

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  04:15:53 AM  Show Profile
Just looking back over the posts, and it is amazing how each company makes their spinning wheels just a little bit different. Thanks for posting pics. I know I have not done that yet! I will.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  04:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Sandra,
Thank you for sharing a picture of your wheel. Love seeing the different kinds of wheels.
Spinning is so relaxing and rewarding to me. Hope you continue to enjoy spinning. Please post some of your ideams you make out of your yarn.
Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  6:36:18 PM  Show Profile
would love to hear how you ladies clean/wash your raw fibers?
farmgirl sister Deb

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  7:32:47 PM  Show Profile
I have some blog post on washing.

http://www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com/2013/04/what-do-you-do-with-all-of-that-wool.html

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  06:35:01 AM  Show Profile
Cleaning is a big job. First I hand pick vm out. Then last year I took a plastic half barrel, filled it with hot water from tap and I got a pot of water almost to boiling and added that in and some dawn original soap. Then I put the whole fleece in. Let it soak for 20 minutes or so. I actually wash it 3 times that way, then I rinse twice, cooling the water down each time. I do the whole process outside. I have a big frame with chicken wire on it that I put on my picnic table, and I have the other end sitting on some chairs. I squeeze out all the water I can and then I turn the wool over every so often to help dry it out faster.
I used to do the washing in 5 gallon buckets, but I like doing the whole fleece at once. Since I have 2 sheep it works out well.
Sandra nice pictures on your web site. Good luck with getting the mill going! Sounds like fun.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  07:32:37 AM  Show Profile
That is how I do mind as well. But sometime's I put the finish project in spin cycle in washing machine..helps get all the water out so it can dry faster.
thank you for sharing..
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  10:12:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Last night I took my very first spinning class using the simple Drop Spinner and roving from the Blue Face Leicaster sheep. Wow, it was hard as it felt like I was all thumbs. The teacher was so patient and fun and she encouraged me to just keep practicing and practicing. I am determined to get this down because it is such a fun and practical craft to learn. The YarnWorks store who hosted the class promised to try and host a wool dyeing class later when we can all be outside. In the meantime, I will work up the wool I have and be ready for a new challenge. I am excited about getting it spun and then knitting it up into something wearable! Whoop!!

Here is the wool and the little bit of yarn I actually spun. Little steps.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  10:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,
You did great..nice job. I made a couple of drop spindles. Love using them as well. Great to bring with you anywhere you go. Keep up the great work, and looking forward to seeing your finish project.
thank you for sharing love hearing and seeing what you farmgirls are doing with fibers:) oh love the color of your fibers
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462

Edited by - sunflowercritters on Feb 21 2014 10:27:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  11:14:19 AM  Show Profile

Here is my lady bug spinning wheel. I love it. It is a schacht too. I have hanging on there some indigo blue yarn I finished up last night.
I dyed that with Japanese Indigo leaves. I had gotten a plant and saved seeds. It was amazing how that dyeing process worked. Now I was just making some roving out of wool I dyed with black walnuts.
sorry the picture previews as sideways. Not sure why, or how to fix that. The picture is right in my pictures.
Winnie your spinning looks great. You do a really nice job. Have fun with it.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle ,
That is something I wanted to try next is dye with indigo. How do you do it? I also seen how to dye with barks of trees. So can not wait to try that way as well. Will have to get some plants this year indigo that is..
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462

Edited by - sunflowercritters on Feb 21 2014 1:43:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2014 :  04:37:55 AM  Show Profile
Dyeing with the Japenese Indigo was really interesting. I had directions from the internet. But you picked a jar of leaves. Let it sit in water for a while. I don't remember all of it. Then I used rit dye remover at some point. Then you put your wool in the dye, it looks yellow at the time. When you pull it out it turns blue as it hits the air. I think I had to use baking soda in the dye pot too. The first year I had 2 plants. You didn't get enough leaves to even try dyeing. I did let it flower and saved the little seeds. The next year I planted in 2 big pots. The plants are very tender and I wanted to be able to move them inside to save them from frost till I could get seeds. Didn't I send you some seed a while back?

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2014 :  04:56:00 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
Thank you, yes I think you did. I have missed placed them. But still searching. That is interesting it is yellow until it hits the air. How are you doing your walnut dye? Just love dying the fibers/skeins of yarn as well. Have been doing learning this this winter with some of the ladies in my spinning group.
Will look in a draw of mind I think the seeds might be, I so hope I can find them. to try this.
have a great day;
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2014 :  04:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Michele, forgot to tell you I love your spinning wheel. Does it spin nice? easy? love the color as well.
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2014 :  07:47:21 AM  Show Profile
I tell ya, the lady bug is the one and only wheel I have ever used. My aunt got it for me in CO. and I paid her back for it. I taught myself, and the rest is history! haha My yarn is not perfect, but I don't do anything perfect. (only one person did that!) I am very happy with my yarn, it knits crochets, and holds up to tearing out. I do enjoy making and using it.
I am planning on planting the last of my indigo seeds this spring, so if I get some to share this fall I will.
With the walnut dyes, again I looked it up on the internet. I soaked the hulls and or the nuts, I don't remember now. I totally forgot a few steps with them, and I still got a camel color. I was hoping for dark brown. Deb I wish I had a local group like yours to join in with. It looks like you ladies have a great time and learn along the way.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2014 :  12:26:52 PM  Show Profile
Michele,
utube has allot to watch and learn on the spinning world/dying etc. I've check that out often. love that site for teaching myself. so where do you live? I can check out for you about spinning groups near you.
Thanks again for sharing..just love you farm girls..
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2014 :  04:35:31 AM  Show Profile
I use you tube alot too. You can learn alot of different things. I believe at one time there was a spinning group in Rusk Co. Don't know if they are still going or not. I want to get an old washing machine hooked up and felt my slippers I had made. Waiting for my husband to give me a hand. It is back to being cold here, and my toes are chilley! Besides I can't wait to see how they felt up.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2014 :  5:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ya'll! I love spinning! I have 2 Ashford wheels and a couple of drop spindles. right now I am spinning some lovely merino from New Zealand that my son and daughter-in-love brought me. I am looking to buy a Russian support spindle for some lace spinning. Anyone have a support spindle? I've never tried one but I like the idea.

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
Handwork and video blog - www.danaschultz.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  04:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Diana, I will have to look that drop spindle up. Never heard of that kind.
How do you like your drop spindle? I love mine you can bring it everywhere with you. I have a louet spinning wheel and I just love how it works/spins.
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462

Edited by - sunflowercritters on Feb 24 2014 04:20:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  04:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Diana,
Just looked that up on utube. Oh! It is a drop spindle. That was a pretty neat kind. How do you like that kind? You'll have to take a picture of your spindle and post it. I will take a picture of the one my hubby and I made (my drop spindle) I just love how it spins. Will have to make more and put them out to sell.
Thank you for sharing..Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  07:13:42 AM  Show Profile
Here is the picture of my drop spindle and yarn I had spun up this week end. (four skeins of yarn I did up) rest is what I had done few weeks ago. So enjoy this hubby.
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  05:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Deb that is alot of yarn you did! Wow and it looks so very nice too. Your drop spindle is different with the 2 wood pieces. Mine is made from a wood wheel. I got in at the drop spindle class I took, along with a niddy noddy. Dana have fun spinning!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  05:56:15 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
It has a great spin/weight to it. just love how it works. Hoping to spin some more today as well finish up my mittens.
looking forward to seeing your drop spindle
hugs Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  06:17:29 AM  Show Profile
Debra, the colors of your yarn are so lovely! Have you any plans for the yarn yet?
Does anyone spin with an end project in mind? I'm like a puppy when it see a new toy - gotta have it - but never a thought as to what to use it for! LOL

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
Handwork and video blog - www.danaschultz.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  10:10:23 AM  Show Profile
Dana,
I thought of knitting up some yogurt covers for canning jars. I just love making are own yogurt and have a knitted cover for canning jars. Like to make some up for my craft fairs and just to sell.
and would like to knit up a vest for my hubby, not sure what color yet on that.
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Any Spinners out there? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page