Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Venting a clothes dryer Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2014 :  6:51:08 PM  Show Profile
My dryer broke down a couple days ago. It was old--it came with the house and I've been here sixteen years. and it was old before I moved here. It vented to the basement. Now I need to get a new dryer and a guy is coming tomorrow to look at putting in a hole in the wall where I can vent it to the outside. I looked at ventless driers but they all start at around $1,000.00. I have a clothesline in the basement and it works OK for small items, but I need a dryer for items like jeans (can't hang them out--they'd get stolen). A vent kit is cheap, but I don't know how much it will be to put a hole through the wall. anyone ever done this?
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2014 :  07:05:07 AM  Show Profile
1st make sure that where you are putting hole, there is no electrical or water pipes, use a new (sharp) hole saw (they work off a drill), and drill between studs, you want the hole for vent to go as straight as possible from dryer to vent hole (trim vent hose as short as possible), kit is in 2 parts, inside and outside, they screw , thru together, put a good amountof chalking both inside and out, all that I've ever seen have rodent flaps on the outside, but we've/Ive always put addidional wire overthe outside, cause rodents and other critters will find away...this is a very simple/cheap DIY project, and will cost you no more than the kit...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  7:46:13 PM  Show Profile
The guy came and said it would be difficult to vent the dryer to the outside since it's in the basement and the garage is right next to it. So I ended up getting a new dryer with a cheap(less than $14.00) kit that allows you to vent the dryer indoors. You attach the hose to a bucket filled with water. You have to empty it once in a while. They're going to deliver my dryer on Thursday. and haul away the old one. It was a real trip (psychological) going to the laundromat on Sunday night. Now I've seen how the other half lives. Whew.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  05:52:25 AM  Show Profile
We vented ours through a basement window. The windows are old and have multiple panes of glass. Dh took a pane out and replaced it with a piece of plywood with a hole cut out for the vent. The vent is under our deck so it doesn't let in much light anyway. The he hung a sheet of plastic over the window vent to block cold drafts.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Venting a clothes dryer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page