Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Raised Deer Resistant Beds Next Topic  

artgirl
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Heather
McDonough GA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  12:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Send artgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!
I don't have a green thumb, but would love to start growing a garden to take a little off the grocery budget and get the kids involved in a project together. the problem... We have beautiful deer a hole family of them and they graze in our yard and we let them have all of the pears on our tree. it's not our favorite kind.. they're hard pears meant for cooking. anyways we love the deer and rabbits. BUT, last garden we tried got gobbled up before it could sprout good. Is there a way to create an economical enclosure and raise bed?
Thanks ladies!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~ Walt Disney
Farmgirl 5759

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  9:02:35 PM  Show Profile
I'll be watching to see what kind of answers you get! Deer are beautiful, but you can get a bit tired of them!
mar
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2014 :  06:43:12 AM  Show Profile
Do an internet search for plants native to your area (i.e. your state
deer resistant plants). This year I will be planting daisies, oregano, marjoram, and coreopsis, underneath my fruit trees and along the inside of my garden fence (my goats will eat anything planted on the outside), until my plants take hold, we will be using predator urine,(check the internet for this) again. It works you just have to reapply it every time it rains. Remember hungry deer will eat anything, even tin cans if they get hungry enough.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 21 2014 :  4:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful pictures Heather!! We just moved to the Texas Hill Country a year ago. I'm finding out all about the deer, raised beds, etc...
Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - May 21 2014 :  8:37:53 PM  Show Profile
How big are your raised beds? Could you make hoops out of irrigation pipe or rebar and cover them over with netting? I have good luck keeping deer away from my fruit trees by hanging Irish spring soap bars from the outer limbs. Good luck deer are beautiful but frustrating critters!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Raised Deer Resistant Beds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page