Doreenlee
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Doreen
Harmony North CArolina
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2014 :  5:02:10 PM  Show Profile
I would like to start an herb garden outside and later bring some plants into my kitchen. Any suggestions on what herbs do well started outside and then brought inside the house? How about rosemary, dill, and oregano? These are the ones I use the most. And how about drying them? How do I go about doing that? Please help ladies.

Doreen Lee

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2014 :  5:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Since we now rent, I have put all of my plants in pots, so when the weather turns cold if I need to I can bring them in. Before, though I just had a big raised bed and I left them outside. If you find that you use rosemary, dill and oregano most then start with those. I started out with the "basic" kitchen herbs and add one or two new ones each year and my herb garden has really grown in what I like to plant. The simplest way to dry them is cut them, clean them and then put them in a brown paper bag for a few weeks until dried. I saved up and bought an inexpensive dehydrator that I use now (it saves space too--I had brown bags all over the house).

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  06:12:00 AM  Show Profile
All of those herbs will work in the house...although dill gets really big. You will have to trim it regularly. It gives you a good reason to go find lots of dilly recipes. :)

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Doreenlee
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Doreen
Harmony North CArolina
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  10:08:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you to my Farmgirl friends!

Doreen Lee
Go to Top of Page