Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Question about lack of sweat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Question about lack of sweat Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  3:54:38 PM  Show Profile
Good evening all - DH is having nerve issues in his back and legs - has had 6 MRI's and still have found nothing significantly wrong. Among other issues like straining to 'go', falling down and not knowing when he is hungry - he now doesn't sweat from the mid abdomen down. Yet he pours sweat from his head, shoulders and chest. He's been checked for Lyme, MS and some other things. They've taken copious amounts of blood and done all manner of tests on him. He's type 2, smokes/chews and is slightly over weight. (about 30 lbs).

He's on medical leave right now from work and goes back to the doctor July 28 - any suggestions on what to do or try?

Thanks!

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:35:58 PM  Show Profile
Lora, my recommendation would be to write down all of the symptoms and any patterns you observe about the sweating like the time of day, temperature inside and outside, before or after eating and things like that. If all of these issues are making him miserable, I would call the MD to be seen sooner and see if all of the patterns together suggest some other problems not previously investigated. The endocrine system is quite complicated and with diabetes and perhaps some of the medications he is on, the symptoms could possibly relate to drug side effects. Or, perhaps the additional new issue of sweating may indicate something more specific. This profile that you are sharing does suggest a complex problem and most likely is not something that would reverse with a simple remedy.

Keep watching the symptoms, asking the doctor lots of questions, and keep pushing for better answers. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes awhile before problems can be determined and solutions put in place. Don't give up and I hope you will get the help you need soon so that your husband can feel better and regain his health again! This must be terribly worrisome for you both not knowing what is wrong!

Winnie#3109
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  5:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Has he been seen by an endocrinologist? If not, I'd make an appt.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  5:11:25 PM  Show Profile
My hubby has back issues and now also has issues with having to strain to go.. MRIs are not showing anything new, but they did send him to a neurologist and he now has a neurogenic bladder... Basically he has to use his abdominal muscles in order to go.... As far as the sweating, I agree with the vote to see an endocrinologist. That sounds separate from his back issues and bladder issues to me. Praying for answers for you both!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2014 :  06:36:55 AM  Show Profile
He hasn't been to an endocrinologist yet. His last MRI showed considerable change in his disks in the thoracic region of his spine. It also showed that he has some arthritis in his neck. We went out for lunch on father's day with friends and he barely touched his food. Said he didn't feel hungry. The weird thing is he's not losing any weight. Saturday, while trying to take a wheel off a hay wagon, he smacked his ankle with the tire iron. He said he felt it but it didn't really hurt. That evening when we got home, we found he had a huge goose egg and a blood blister when the tire iron hit. Now he says it's tender to the touch. I think he just bruised it and it didn't break the skin so I'm not worried about tetanus or anything. We are keeping a close watch and I am trying to find some arnica salve to put on it.
Yesterday we picked strawberries. He only lasted about 15 minutes and had to quit because his back was hurting. He even tried crawling through the patch on his hands and knees. That didn't help either. We still ended up with about 10 lbs. He's going to clean and prepare them today to freeze for later.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2014 :  11:38:44 AM  Show Profile
The lack of pain when he got the bruise could be a sign of peripheral neuropathy. It happens in diabetics when the sugars are too high for too long. It basically deadens the nerves. Get him to his diabetic doctor ASAP and have a test for this. If he should get an infection in his feet and he doesn't know it because there is no pain and this could lead to amputation. Make should he/you checks his feet everyday for open sores. If he doesn't feel them, take extra precautions to keep them clean and healing.

Check his medications for contraindications (medicines behaving badly with each other). Do the research yourself. Here is a good link for this kind of research.

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2014 :  3:39:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Marie. I will check out this link and check his meds.

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2014 :  09:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Lora,
How did things go with your husband? I hope he is well and they found out what was wrong.

Farmgirl sister #308
Swag Bag Marketing
www.marketsofsunshine.com
Bible Research
www.jw.org
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  11:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Still no real answers except that he doesn't have MS, Lyme, cancer, strokes, and some other things I have written down, but don't have right here. The neurologist said there is something wrong and it's not all in his head, but they just can't figure it out. He goes back in 4 months. He's applied for Disability for the 2nd time now and we have hired an attorney. The first time he was denied, they're reason was he was young enough to adapt to another job. Today he asked for a list of jobs he could adapt to since he can't stand or sit for long periods of time, he has to go to the bathroom often and he falls a lot. The lady at the Social Security office just sat and stared at him. Then she said "Are you serious?" He just stared back. I think she got the hint. He's so depressed and crabby. I am trying my damnedest to be patient but there are days I want to jab a pencil in his neck. Instead I call him by his mother's name and he stops complaining.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile
I know it is difficult. Try to be patient. He feels scared and angry. You know the part about in sickness or health and in better or worse? It's the sick and worse time now.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Question about lack of sweat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page