hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  8:12:13 PM  Show Profile
Anna Mary - first, welcome to the group :) What is it you are trying to can? As Patty said, some things have to be pressure canned, and some things you have a choice. For example, you can can tomatoes either way.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  03:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Shannon- Thanks. I will dehydrate my skins for sure this year. I run my dehydrator almost as much as I do my canner in season, but have only attempted tomato paste once.I love this idea and no waste. I make very little tomato juice this day as I have a nutri bullet and dump my diced stewed tomatoes in it if I need juice. I love homemade tomato soup made that way. I just bullet a quart of my tomatoes. add salt & pepper, a little cram or milk, basil and if I have it on hand, some cheese rind. Heat it up. Quick 5 min meal. Almost as quick as Campbell's.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  07:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Shannon! Awesome tip! Thank you!!! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

aCraftersDaughter
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Anna Mary
Salem IN
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  6:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Send aCraftersDaughter a Yahoo! Message
Shannon, I was most interested in canning things like beef stew and veggie beef soup, that type of things, where I would basically have a meal in a jar.

(And Sweet Tea and Daisies to all...)
With <3 ,
~ Anna Mary
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2866 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2866 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2014 :  7:24:54 PM  Show Profile
Anna Mary,
For SURE you need a pressure canner. You can pick up a basic one for fairly cheap (like a Presto or Mirro, al Walmart or the like)
If you happen on one at a yard sale, etc, be sure to take it to your county extension and have them test the seal. They will do this for free. (at least in OH)
Happy Canning!!!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

aCraftersDaughter
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Anna Mary
Salem IN
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  06:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Send aCraftersDaughter a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Girls for all your info! It's a big help! So far all I have ever canned was sweet pickles, lime pickles, green beans and some jellies. And that was about the extent of my canning knowledge.

(And Sweet Tea and Daisies to all...)
With <3 ,
~ Anna Mary
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Started! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page