True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  06:59:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi MaryJane!

I just want to thank you for including my two posts about making homemade washing soda and pitting cherries in this month’s MaryJanesFarm Sister Issue. I can’t tell you how much it meant to me. Recently we hosted a party for our son’s eighteenth birthday with a lot of friends and family in attendance. At one point, my mother and my son’s godmother took the opportunity to poke fun at me about all the unnecessary, irrelevant things I do, and, worse yet, that I have the audacity to email about them in detail to everyone – like people even care or have time for that! Despite just having admired my amazing garden (and tucking a few of their favorites under their arms to take home!) and all of my jars of dehydrated and canned foods that it produced (my Mom even took pictures to share with her friends back home!), they continued to chide me about what a nuisance my emails are – they just roll their eyes after the third line and hit <Delete>. What hurt most was hearing them laugh at the things I find “exciting,” such as compost, canning jars and my homemade laundry detergent. Only me, they said condescendingly; only me. I took it with a smile, and laughed along with them; but deep down it really hurt. I started to question myself as to whether anything I ever do or say is relevant - does it even matter? In a way, I felt kind of silly for making such a big deal about and sharing all of the neat things I’ve learned and started to do since joining MJF and the Farmgirl Sisterhood. While hanging laundry one morning, I even asked the Lord, “Lord, I’m grateful for my family, our home and all you’ve provided for us. I’m even grateful for these clothes I’m hanging, because that means I’ve got people to care for who love me. But is this what I’m supposed to do with my life? Did you give me this gift of a mind and all this can-do ability to simply stay home and hang clothes? Is this what it’s all about? Am I meant to just stay home and hang clothes?” No sooner did the words leave my prayerful mind that I heard His response. He said, “My Mother did.” I was floored. Message received – loud and clear. Yes, right then I knew that everything I do matters, even when others don’t understand, agree or even care – even when those others are the people closest to me. Then reading the Sister Issue this morning, my heart became all warm with a light that shimmered its way up to make me grin a big grin. Thank you for that affirmation. I just pray that somehow I can make other people smile, laugh and muster up the confidence to try to do these things – just like YOU and all of the farmgirls do for me every day! :)

Thanks so much, truly!

Hugs –

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  09:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Nini
Oh my goodness I am so sorry you had to deal with all the disrespect. I am sure they were not meaning you hurt you the way that it did. I too do as much canning, making of cleaning products, gardening, and hang clothes as I can but not everyone agrees. For me it's a huge feeling of accomplishment. Because I stay at home and homeschool it helps financially as well. Yes the huge group of women on this site who strive for self sufficiency are so inspiring. I am so glad you have had affirmations and are feeling better. You yourself are very inspiring with all that you post.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  10:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Do an experiment. Don't send them your emails anymore and see if they miss them. When they ask why you stopped, tell them that as per their conversation you felt that it was unwise to waste their time with such messages. Then offer them a jar of dehydrated veggies or fresh veggies from your garden. Smile to yourself. Remember that all we do is for ourselves first. It is what gives us pleasure and that is all that matters.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  10:56:50 AM  Show Profile
Nini...don't let them discourage you dear Sister...we are ALL Cheering and Applauding LOUDLY for YOU!
And I loved the answer Jesus gave you..."My Mother Did!" That made me get all teary-eyed and a lump
in my throat. He is so Crazy Good to us and loves us so gently...Like The Good Shepherd He is!

I loved what Marie said! Don't include them in your emails. I did that with my Mom and Sister one year
when they complained about how much they hated Christmas Letters. I sent one every year too besides
their friends. So, I stopped sending to them. If they didn't want to know what their children and grand-
children did ... fine by me. And they hated my home-made Christmas Gifts too.

We need to work less hard trying to please those...who don't care to be blessed and share ourselves with
those who appreciate our efforts. That is why MJF is so wildly popular...our like mindedness that so
many don't understand.

I love you girl and I am happy your articles were included where others will appreciate the sharing.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  11:00:26 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
I am sorry to hear your family doesn't see the point of what you do. Mine doesn't say anything like yours did, but I can see them not paying attention to me some times as I carry on about the simple things I love (like hanging the clothes on the line and new recipes for the garden produce). If you do stop sending e-mails to them please don't stop posting here on the forum. I so enjoy reading everything you write and learning with you as you go. I even have the cherry pitter you used on my Christmas wish list!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  12:42:10 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I am sorry this happened to you. Don't stop doing what you are doing. I find pleasure in reading all about your doings as I am sure that the rest of the farmgirls do. I have some that do not understand why I do what I do either but I do not let that deter me from doing so. Farmgirl Hugs!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  1:17:48 PM  Show Profile
Nini, that is so sad. Given the way that most people live these days, I'm sure almost all of us have people in our lives that just don't get it. They don't get the satisfaction of homemade. They don't get contentment of simple. They don't get the joy that comes from sharing something that you have personally invested time and effort in, and not just purchased. Most people won't get that. That's ok. You just keep being you and do what you do. The great thing about this place is that we do get it. I knew that from the first time I opened MJF magazine. I thought - Yes! This! These people get it!

Nini, don't let 'em get you down! <3

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

May my heart be kind, my mind fierce and my spirit brave. - Kate
Forsyth

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  1:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Nini--don't let them get to you. You're doing something that MATTERS, while millions of others are watching Jerry Springer and reading National Enquirer. No one in my family "gets" me either. At work today, someone asked me what I planned to bring for lunch tomorrow (yesterday was red noodle beans). I told them I planned on making some black bean burgers. "You eat weird food" was the response I got. I told them I eat healthy food, not junk. Just like you do healthy, self-sufficient pioneer spirit things and they are watching trashy TV shows. Did you know that Barbara Kingsolver was labeled as one of the most "dangerous" Americans because she grew all her own food? If that's dangerous, count me in! You too! We can be dangerous together! Keep doing what you've been doing and be true to yourself. that's all that matters.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Are you kidding me????? I love love love reading about you and every farmgirl and what they are doing and how they are living and what makes us happy!! Your posts make me smile and my heart happy!! I look forward to every day and the farmgirl happenings!!

Love to you!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4931 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4931 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  3:54:31 PM  Show Profile
Big Hug Nini! Your A Fabulous Farm girl and a blessing to us all!! and I am proud to be your Farm Sister!!! and what all the others sisters said on this thread!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 07 2014 3:59:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13575 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13575 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  4:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nini,
You are a true treasure and I appreciate you more than you know!
Hang in there dear sister and just be the woman God created you to be!!!
LOVE YOU!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  4:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Nini: I look for your postings whenever I'm on the site. You make me smile and laugh. Keep doing what you do best, write. Hugs to you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  4:54:32 PM  Show Profile
Nini - I praise God for people like you! I understand the hurtfulness - my family and my hubby's thinks we are crazy!!! Hold your head up high my friend and know that you are doing what you love and living in a manner pleasing to your Savior! Love you Sister!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  5:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I love all of your posting and ideas very much! You have added so much here on the Connection to lots of topics and WE love your Farmgirl spirit and enthusiasm. As for the family, try and not let your feelings be hurt. We all have our own passions and MJF is a unique group of women finding a pathway that makes sense and feeds their souls. It is all good and very creative! So, you know the song.....If you're happy and you know it clap your hands! Clap, Clap! If you're happy and you know it clap your hands. Clap! Clap! If you're happy and you know it then you're face will surely show it. If your'e happy and you know it clap your hands! CLAP! CLAP!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  5:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Nini - I must also spend a moment to tell you how grateful I am to have had the chance to meet you here on the farm. I admire your humble attitude and faith. It is so missed in the work force today. to be able to look you up on the farm and spend time listening to you talk about your day and time spent with our heavenly father and what he lays on your heart to share for the day is a blessing for so many. I love that you take the time to try the ideas and recipes ( I still need to make the canned potatoes ) and to share your experiences. I know that when I start rambling about what I learned on the farm I met with smiles, and maybe they are making fun of me, ( thats ok they love to eat what I make )but I believe that we come together to build one another up, and the way this world is going we need to know how to be more self sufficient, ( God first but then like the ant learn to store up without the need of someone to tell us ) Thank you for taking the time to post, keep walking close to God he never leads us down a path he has not first provided light for.

may the words of encouragement from us, help to undo the wounds inflicted by others. Truly the power of life and death is in the words we choose to use, some build up and others destroy..

Hugs your way.
Danyel
farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  5:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
You are a blessing to all of us farmgirls who totally get you and
your wonderful and amazing posts. I have noticed I smile the best
when I am doing my "farmgirl" chores. I bet you do too!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  8:26:02 PM  Show Profile
First congrats on getting posted in the magazine! Second I am sorry your family can't support you. My family listens but then says things like, "I just don't know how you have the time... or I could never bother to do what you do." But never something so hurtful. I hope they weren't meaning to make you feel that way. If you need an email to add to your list I would love to read about your days. Maybe you can just have different "family members" to send to. I know I struggle with some of my family more than others. Some love my homemade gifts and others really just want the store stuff that in my mind isn't nearly as much love and thought for the other person. Hang in there.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2014 :  2:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for your kind words, girls! I'm okay, really. I didn't mean to bring on all the love - but I appreciate it, really! You know the feeling is completely mutual! :) I am SO okay and SO over it now. 'Just had a very weak moment (or two) there... It only took a little while before I did that crazy double-take head shake to clear my head and get back on track. :) I just wanted to let MaryJane know how much I appreciated the affirmation, honest. Sometimes those good things come at just the right moment - and it's important to let people know when they've unknowingly bestowed a blessing! :) Clap! Clap! ;) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2014 :  4:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Nini-
I say AMEN and AMEN!!

Love to you!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2014 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile
HI Nini!
Sorry a bit late on this but:
Keep being your beautiful creative self!!!!!
Come from a looooong line of "head shakers" not believing in learning new ways to better ones self so know the down side. They call me SUSIE HOMEMAKER in a not nice way but I softly laugh & know that our home is filled with love & all kinds of homemade goodness! I sure don't have to tell Nini, it only takes ONE of those recipes, creations, treasures, etc. etc. to make it ALL worth it!
Anyways, I need your expertise.....I'm trying the sourkraut again this year! LOL
Read your posts all the time & thanks for sharing.
Hugs Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2014 :  08:19:14 AM  Show Profile
LOL! They call me "Susie," too, Judy! Especially when they drop by and catch me donning my apron with flour on my forehead! LOL! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2014 :  10:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Nini,

You are so loved!!!! I personally ADORE your emails. I have those who don't "get" me either. It doesn't matter. Your happiness is what counts, not what others with closed minds think. You can never make everyone else happy, but you always have the power within you to make yourself happy.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6463 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6463 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2014 :  12:03:43 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Mary Jane for all my Farmgirl Sister Friends that I have in my life because of you. I always have someone to go to and talk to when I need a shoulder, quite a few are only a phone call away. And, they all know I am there for them as well.
You know Nini someone in Colorado thinks of you and keeps you in her heart, thoughts and prayers, I am always here for you as I know you are for me.
Love and Hugs,
Debbie

"BE KIND TO PEOPLE BECAUSE EVERYBODY YOU KNOW IS ENGAGED IN REALLY TOUGH BATTLES."

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2014 :  9:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Nini, Keep being true to yourself. How can you be anyone else, everybody else is taken! Some people are just uncomfortable with people that are not like everybody else. People are like sheep and will jump off the cliff just because everybody else did. Glad you are unique and paved your own road less traveled., chinn up and keep on being the person God intended you to be.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2014 :  07:22:04 AM  Show Profile
Soooooo true, Debbie!

Nini, we all love you!!!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2014 :  11:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Nini just reading the post. I get the same thing from my family. They call me Laura Ingles in a not so complimentary way. I am use to it but don't enjoy their comments. But it does get a person down sometimes. When I come here its nice to see like minded women and I don't feel so out of place anymore. Your a wonderful person and I am glad I met you through MJ's. Big hugs to you and keep up the good thoughts and work.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Aug 11 2014 11:06:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thank You, MaryJane! :) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page