YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2024 :  07:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Drying the zest of 10 small lemons to make lemon pepper. After the lemon zest is dried it will be mixed with equal part black pepper. I still have to grind the black peppercorns. Will wait to do it after I measure the dried lemon zest.

I juiced the lemons and froze in ice cube tray. When frozen I will put the frozen lemon juice in zip lock bag.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2024 :  08:53:58 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to try that, Sara. I do the ice cube thing but have never made lemon pepper.
My latest is dehydrated sweet potatoes and turnips, done from raw. The dogs ADORE them, and I know what the ingredients are. We were gifted a huge beet; I may try that next.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2024 :  09:36:52 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I ended up with 2 Tbsp of lemon zest. Did a coarse grind for the peppercorns that way if I want I finer grind for a recipe I can do it then.

I guess I should dry sweet potatoes for Annie. I have some just sitting in my pantry.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3001 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3001 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2024 :  09:54:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm making some beef jerky today. Your lemon pepper sounds fantastic, Sara!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2024 :  07:16:59 AM  Show Profile
Heather, one of these days I hope to get around to making beef jerky. I put the lemon pepper on avocado sandwich and it was tasty.

Today I am drying sweet potato slices for Annie. Thanks, Lisa, for telling me about it.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2024 :  06:29:53 AM  Show Profile
I gave Annie a sweet potato slice that was only half dried and she spit it out. Decided to finish drying them anyway and when done and cooled she ate a couple of slices and wanted more.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4115 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4115 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2024 :  04:02:38 AM  Show Profile
LOL Annie knows what she likes, Sara.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  07:42:51 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, there's not much she doesn't like.

Drying grape tomatoes today. I've always dried Roma tomatoes but I saw this recipe on-line for drying grape or cherry tomatoes. You smash the tomatoes with a potato masher that not only flattens the tomatoes but gets most of the juice and seeds out. The problem I have now is I can't remember if the tomatoes were smashed whole or halved. I halved mine but some of them look like they are all skin. I couldn't print the recipe because it had a black background with white letters. I'll let you know what I think about the dried grape tomatoes when they are done.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  08:35:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad Annie likes the sweet potatoes. I dry mine until crunchy and my dogs think they are the best thing ever.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  12:29:39 PM  Show Profile
Crunchy is good.

The grape tomatoes are still drying, and they are mostly skins so I will dry them till they are crispy than put in blender to make tomato powder. I have made tomato powder before, and it is a good thing to add more tomato flavor to soups, stews, and sauces. Next time Roma tomatoes go on sale I will get some to dry.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2137 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2137 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  2:47:21 PM  Show Profile
I dry mushrooms until they snap when I bend them and then put them in the blender and make mushroom powder. Just a little bit gives a wonderful mushroomy taste to soups, stews, and Italian casseroles like lasagna, spaghetti, and eggplant parmesan.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  2:56:08 PM  Show Profile
Judith I've made mushroom powder too but it's been a couple of years. I guess I should add that to my drying to-do list.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2137 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2137 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  3:07:17 PM  Show Profile
I usually get my mushrooms at the local flea market. Right before closing the produce sellers are anxious to get rid of stuff so the prices drop dramatically. I think my biggest bargain was a crate of mangos for fifty cents. Then I had to go home and spend the day making mango chutney.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  3:20:01 PM  Show Profile
That's a great buy on mangos and I know the chutney was good.

Made the tomato powder and yielded little over a Tbsp for my days' work. Definitely using Roma tomatoes to dry from now on.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2137 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2137 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  4:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Roma for sure, Sara. We used to live near tomato fields and a couple times we gleaned the field after the tomato harvesters had finished. My 16 quart pot full of tomatoes yielded a whole 2 pints of catsup. Those tomatoes, the typical kind you get at the supermarket, were all skin and water.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4913 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4913 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  4:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Judith, nothing like fresh made! I bet your Catsup delicious!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2137 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2137 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2024 :  5:48:35 PM  Show Profile
It was pretty good but took an enormous amount of tomatoes to make it :-) Roma tomatoes would have made a lot more but it's hard to ignore free :-)

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2024 :  07:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Drying 12 Roma tomatoes today. They are large so after halving them I will dip them in a solution of apple cider vinegar & non-chorine water. Will let them dry on a flour sack towel before dehydrating. The apple cider vinegar & water solution helps to retard spoiling over time. My dehydrator only has two trays so it may take me a couple of days to dry them.

Edited by - YellowRose on Feb 08 2024 07:19:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2024 :  05:43:44 AM  Show Profile
I didn't use the apple cider vinegar dip because I forgot I had given the book that had the recipe in it to my niece and I couldn't find it on-line. I did find a recipe for dipping the tomatoes in EVOO with salt and herbs. I used my dried oregano and the tomatoes turned out good. I will store dried tomatoes in EVOO in a cool dark place. Unopened they should keep for 6 months, once opened store in refrigerator.

Before I was gifted my dehydrator I dried tomatoes in the oven. Set the temp on lowest setting; after prepping the tomatoes single layer them on parchment paper covered cookie sheet; put in oven; insert wooden spoon in closed oven door to help regulate the humidity & heat. Time to desired dryness depends on size and type of tomato.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4115 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4115 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2024 :  03:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Sara I hope your tomatoes turned out perfectly for you. Is it harder to store the evoo ones, or do they dry out nicely? I once tried putting a bit of cinnamon sugar on apple slices, and drying. It was a real mess for me.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6819 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6819 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2024 :  05:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, it took a long time to dry them. All day one day and part of the night. I got up at 2 a.m. and checked the tomatoes and they were close to being done so I turned the dehydrator off so they wouldn't over dry. The next morning, I finished drying them for three more hours.

It was messy because the EVOO spread on the parchment paper lined trays. I left the old parchment paper on the trays and put a new layer on top so when I took the parchment paper off it was easy because it wasn't flimsy.

One of the things I like about storing the dried tomatoes in EVOO is the oil can be used in cooking. The 12 Roma tomatoes yielded two 12oz jars minus the two I ate. Warm dried tomatoes are so good. They're stored in the little bedroom closet along with other home canned goods. Checked the temperature and the closet was at 60.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3001 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3001 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2024 :  5:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Michele - I had the same experience with cinnamon sugar apples!!! They sounded so good but never again LOL!

Sara - I love hearing about all the stuff you can and dehydrate :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2024 :  4:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Judith, I did catsup from some older canned tomatoes that needed to be used. I had several quarts and got about 2 pints. It was, however, very tasty!
I need to dehydrate some of the carrots that we have been getting free (food drop off at the school where my husband drives a child) When he gets there, they are ready to THROW IT AWAY!
We got 50lbs carrots, 50 lbs onions, 7 pineapples, 12 pints of crimini mushrooms, 10 bags shredded cheese, 5 five lb bags each of apples and potatoes, and 5 2 lb bags of raw almonds. Yes, this was going to go in the TRASH! We have shared with many neighbors, but I still have several bags of carrots and onions.
It is a crying shame, but apparently many of the folks are looking for microwaveable, prepackaged food, so the fresh goes to waste. Not on MY watch. LOL
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2024 :  4:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I can imagine that EVOO made for messy dehydrating. Maybe next time do with the herbs only, of with none, and add everything to the jar at the end.
I just dehydrate mine tomato only, and rehydrate as needed. Yours sound much tastier
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4115 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4115 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2024 :  03:28:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow Lisa, that was a haul of fresh fruits and veggies. Good thing your husband grabbed it. Even with sharing I bet you were a busy lady, canning, drying, and freezing.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are you drying? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page