Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Any food storage ladies out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Any food storage ladies out there? Next Topic
Page: of 2

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2014 :  08:55:43 AM  Show Profile
Well, we have been buying foods in bulk for quite some time now, but now we've decided to up our game.

We're going to be investing in a food vacuum sealer with jar lid attachment, O2 absorbers, and possibly some mylar bags. I want some long term storage happening around here! Even if it just gets me out of having to go to the grocery store (UGH).

Right now, we are utilizing Mason jars, 5 gallon buckets, and we also have a bit of freeze dried foods in cans.

Anyone else out here love to pack their pantry?

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2014 :  11:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda,

We've been slowly doing the same, as money is always an issue it seems. We do have a vacuum sealer, both a water bath & pressure canner. I try to grow what I can as we are renting. I grow most of my own herbs and dry them. I've been buying local produce from farm stands in bulk for dehydrating as well. I prepare meals in large amounts and can some for food storage. I've been saving all chicken and turkey carcasses for making stock, and I then can that too. I bought 5 gallon buckets off ebay, cleaned them well and had bought some oatmeal, rice and kidney beans in bulk in which i stored them in. That was two years ago and it lasted well. I put the dried good into 5 gallon mylar bags with oxygen absorbers to help keep the food dry. I stored the buckets in my basement and covered them with a clean sheet for the sake of keeping dust off and the occasional mouse that will appear (yuck).

I dried a lot of tomatoes from my garden and vacuum sealed them in sterilized mason jars. We also bought a nice chest freezer a couple of years back. So eventually by goal is to take a weekend and make meals in large foil pans that i can freeze, and even some smaller sizes. I prefer to wait until we can afford a generator before I stock a freezer. My husband works at the landfill and tells me the stories of people who come in with garbage bags of food after a storm because they had no power for days.

When there is a good deal on something in the store I will buy extra so some goes into food storage.

So little by little I am doing the same. I hate the idea of running to the store in the event of a major weather event fighting people for water. In the last event a limit was even put on gasoline and atms didnt work. So we have other ideas as well as what to do to be better prepared. I also try and stock up on water. My dream is to have a nice big walk in pantry someday with all of my beautiful food, with no need to panic whatsoever.

I would love to buy some of Mary Janes prepared food, and some freeze dried food from the http://www.thereadystore.com/. All I can do is little by little, but every little bit counts. I will also buy meat on sale and can that as well, make soups, etc. It's a great feeling to know you'll be prepared.

I have no fear of losing power, I will just perk my coffee outside, like i did after the last storm, and I love cooking outside. Today I'm smoking a turkey on my grill :)

Connie

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Soap & Candles
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts

Edited by - naturemaiden on Oct 05 2014 11:05:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2014 :  11:27:34 AM  Show Profile
We have been doing this for some years now. I make my own bread so I store wheat berries in the 5 gallon buckets as well as rolled oats and other things. I can,freeze and dehydrate as much as possible. Hoping dh gets a deer this year so we can have venison in the freezer.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2014 :  12:16:19 PM  Show Profile
Nice!!! Being in Tornado Alley (and hurricane alley and drought alley and....), it pays to be prepared here! Well, if I didn't have to budget, I would have the coolest prep stuff. LOL I do can and I will be buying a pressure canner ASAP. I have a water bath canner x2, but haven't ever pressure canned. Yet.

I also would like to get into storing wheat berries, etc, but I have to get a mill and right now, that's a no-go. It's planned for the future, though!

I read somewhere about only having a few days of food stored in your fridge or freezer, due to the very real possibility of spoilage. Of course, for those of us who hunt and also those of use who buy meat in bulk, that's not realistic. Even so, I believe in having Plan B (and C through Z), so I also have been getting some freeze dried meats and dairy products. We bought half a cow last year and still haven't run out of meat. We do have a genny, but I absolutely HATE the sound they make and I would like to say I'd run it long enough to keep the freezer cold until I could pressure can the meat! lol

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2014 :  11:54:27 AM  Show Profile
We have the FoodSaver brand of vacuum that we really like. I have never tried the mylar bags so I don't know. We also have 2 dehydrators and we freeze a lot. We are going to invest in another freezer to keep in the garage for longer term storage and keep frequently used items in the house freezers. I bought a brand new pressure canner/cooker but haven't used it yet. Our garden didn't produce enough to mess with this year. Too wet, I think. As far as long term power outages - if I felt the food was going to spoil and we weren't going to be able to consume it quickly I would feed it the hogs, chickens and pets. We went through such an outage a many years ago when the local prison's power plant sent an enormous surge through the town. Dozens of people lost all sorts of electronics. No help from the town either - said our homeowners policy should cover it. Well it didn't because the deductible was $1000 and we figured we lost about $700 in food and a freezer. Lesson learned.
I personally think canning/preserving and drying are the best bets.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2014 :  2:11:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm single and don't grow vegetables (only herbs) so my pantry looks a lot different than all of you that store foods on a much larger scale. I buy food on sale and rotate in & out of pantry. I could eat out of my pantry for a month. If I had to I could stretch it out a week or two more.

I dry vegetables as I buy them on sale & herbs that I grow. I eat little meat so I don't keep but a piece or two in the freezer. I do eat can chicken, sardines, & red salmon so I keep a months supply of them in the pantry.

Now I'm down to telling you about the old large lard bucket that I keep sugar in. I bought it 30 years ago at an estate sale and it still had a little flour in it. Well, I started filling it with sugar when it went on sale. I was making more jelly & jams in those days.

I haven't seen the bottom of the bucket since I bought it. I just keep adding to it. So sometime this year I stopped putting sugar in it - still buying sugar on sale, but putting it in pantry instead of bucket. Don't know when I will get to the really old sugar - don't know what it will be like when I do - hard probably - don't even know if 30 year old sugar is still good. I'm betting it is. My sugar bucket has become the family joke.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2014 :  2:21:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure the sugar is still good but like you said probably hard, unless it has stayed moisture free then you really shouldn't even have that.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  05:26:18 AM  Show Profile
I've lived near the Gulf my whole life, so we've always had some type of food storage to prepare for hurricane season.

We started more long term type storage around 1998. It took quite a while to build up the storage. At first, it was a months worth of food for 6 people. It eventually increased to a year's worth.

You definitely have to change your lifestyle to using what you store and then replacing it. For example, don't just store a bucket of rice for 5 years. Get in the habit of having several buckets with dates on them. Use the rice. Fill up the bucket again put the new date on it but don't use that bucket. Put it at the back of the rotation and start using the bucket that was next in line of the first bucket.

I hope that makes sense.

Having storage has been such a Blessing. I always have items on hand to give to someone in need or items on hand to cook a meal for a family in need. The storage Blessed us in a big way several years ago. We run our own business and lost one of our biggest clients. That loss cut our income in half for several months. I used items in our storage for those few months.

Through the years, I've used vacuum sealers, mylar bags, jars, buckets, etc... As you get in the routine of dividing and storing your bulk items, canning your own goods, and dehydrating, you'll find what works best for you. You'll probably use a variety of all of them.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  5:24:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm being more mindful of what I purchase and making bread from scratch now regularly. I buy staples in bulk and for dry goods store in big mason jars. I haven't done canning this year but it's on my list for next year. Though I can practice on easy items like some jams. We live in a City so it's tempting to not stock up because we have a large choice of stores, but that's not really a practical way to go about things.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

carycamille
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Camille
Cathlamet Washington
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  3:26:52 PM  Show Profile
If anyone is interested, I sell freeze dried food for storage (and use). I think this stuff is great! We have slides in our area that make it hard to get to a store in a reasonable amount of time ( 1 to 4 hrs one way) where normally it takes 25 minutes. Please check out my site www.thriveforlife.thrivelife.com and let me know what you think. There is of course food but there is also other items for emergencies or camping, etc.

www.thriveforlife.shelfreliance.com
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  10:36:12 AM  Show Profile
We too have taken to having a pantry. It is very convenient. I started this when we were in the hurricane in Virginia a number of years ago. Even an ice storm would empty the store shelves in one or two days. I am of the mindset that the "truck may not always be able to drive over the hill filled with goodies". I read also that storing salt is important and that it doesn't go bad. I underestimated how important salt is. I learned that vodka can be used in place of rubbing alcohol. I started what has been called a "sage" level of how to books so I can access knowledge should there ever be no internet to research and learn from. The Foxfire series are great, and also wonderful set of Backwoods Home magazine articles that have been put into a book series. I have many other books such as "When There is No Doctor". So if I need to "get the rabbit" for some protein I can read step by step how to do it. Medical supplies are also important. Take care now and being prepared frees you up to enjoy life instead of living "fear based". You can continue to enjoy each day savoring in all that is good, knowing you have done what is within your power to be prepared for the unknown. Best to you now! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  10:37:22 AM  Show Profile
We too have taken to having a pantry. It is very convenient. I started this when we were in the hurricane in Virginia a number of years ago. Even an ice storm would empty the store shelves in one or two days. I am of the mindset that the "truck may not always be able to drive over the hill filled with goodies". I read also that storing salt is important and that it doesn't go bad. I underestimated how important salt is. I learned that vodka can be used in place of rubbing alcohol. I started what has been called a "sage" level of how to books so I can access knowledge should there ever be no internet to research and learn from. The Foxfire series are great, and also wonderful set of Backwoods Home magazine articles that have been put into a book series. I have many other books such as "When There is No Doctor". So if I need to "get the rabbit" for some protein I can read step by step how to do it. Medical supplies are also important. Take care now and being prepared frees you up to enjoy life instead of living "fear based". You can continue to enjoy each day savoring in all that is good, knowing you have done what is within your power to be prepared for the unknown. Best to you now! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  12:49:07 PM  Show Profile
I had started doing some food storage when we were in GA but most of it I couldn't move over here so when we found out we were moving overseas we started using up as much as we could and gave the rest away. I have a bit here and try to keep enough on the shelves for a month but don't want to invest in a lot since we will just be going back in a couple years. If budget and location/moving weren't an issue I'd be a major prepper, food, fuel/energy sources, animals, oil lamps and oil, medical supplies and other supplies.....but as it is I do what I can and trust God for the rest :).

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  08:00:39 AM  Show Profile
One of the importent things about stocking-up is, Do Not Under Any Circumstances tell any more people than you can truely trust about your stored food, because if an emergency happens, those people will be knocking and/or breaking in to steal...it has happened in many places in the past...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

EarthFibre
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Susan
Florence AL
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  6:17:04 PM  Show Profile
I grow a large garden every year and can, dry, and freeze foods. Since I am getting certified as a Master Herbalist, I'm now growing many of my own herbs and such. It's fairly common to do these things here in the South. Grew up growing and preserving foods, and this has been passed down through generations. :)

Knit, crochet, spinning fiber, weave, quilt, sew, repurpose, recycle. Mom to 5 babies in the Furry Knuckle Choir and 1 very handsome young man!
Go to Top of Page

Lowrider
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Karen
Linthicum Maryland
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  12:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I am an avid prepper. With what is going on in this world today I can't see how anyone can't be planning ahead for them selves and their families. I have my entire family onboard and have added friends too. I just bought a rancher on 1 1/2 acs. It has a huge crawl space underground on a slab 4' high and stays really cool and is bug free! I was able to store everything down there. I can, dehydrate, grow my own food use all natural herbs and oils and my home is 100% green and chemical free. This house also had a full wall to wall flagstone fireplace and we just ordered a huge insert that takes 23" logs. I'm a collector of oil lamps and old fashioned tools and implements used in the olden days. My husband of course has his new stuff but I always say if the power goes out I'll have mine. I use mostly cast iron to cook and I love it.

ArtSeaFartSea Me!
https://www.pinterest.com/lowrider04/
http://lowriderchic.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  5:06:32 PM  Show Profile
i've been buying freeze dried food, as it has a very long shelf life. If we had to pick up and evacuate for any reason it's also very light weight. we also stock up on canned items when they go on sale. I also have to replenish our dried goods. we were lucky to get some food buckets for free so I can store my dried goods in them. I found a great. website where I can buy spices very cheap so I have filled my pantry with them.http://www.webstaurantstore.com/48623/regal-herbs-and-spices.html

Edited by - naturemaiden on Nov 29 2015 04:21:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2015 :  5:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Nice! Thanks for sharing!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  8:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Another food storage advocate here. We've got a big pantry with dry and canned goods, water, first aid/health, fuel, camping gear, etc. I'm an avid couponer, and the two go hand in hand - otherwise we could never afford it! We eat from our stores regularly and really just think about it as common-sense living in general - no need to run to store every 5 minutes.

http://www.apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2015 :  04:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Also, at the above spice link, they also sell many other great things. I buy tins in bulk, and I've made extra meals and froze them in 9" square tins. I also make personal size pot pies, freeze them, and then vacuum sealed them all to prevent freezer burn.

I also buy small round plastic food containers from this company with lids that I fill with small meals- and I add one to the hubby's lunch box every day. When I cook I always make extra, and freeze the extra small meals. It's great too when I don't feel like cooking at the end of the week too! I tell everyone, "go grab a meal out of the freezer"

That large bottle in the above picture is lemon juice. This company also ships very fast, highly recommended.

I'm always freezing, canning or drying. We buy extra when there's a good sale. I love it, a full pantry is a necessity and gives me peace of mind. I refuse to stand in a line when a storm is going to hit. I will be prepared when the zombies come

We always grab extra bottled water too. I just told my husband yesterday, I need a great big room to set up all of my food in, it's getting out of control LOL.

I plan on getting some of Mary Jane's food too very soon, been wanting to do that for a long time.

Edited by - naturemaiden on Nov 29 2015 04:34:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2015 :  05:28:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nina for the link. I have checked out the site and will be making out my shopping list in the coming days.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2015 :  06:12:46 AM  Show Profile
I posted here about a year ago and I'm still doing the same types of prepping. I've moved more to dehydrating rather than canning because you can store more dehydrated goods in the same size jars. I used to do a lot of canning of complete meals like chili, gumbo, soups, spaghetti sauce, etc... Now, I just keep all the dehydrated components separate and make up the meal when needed. The one thing I do still can is all my meats.

Here's one odd thing I do....I save the dryer lint after my clothes dry. I keep a jar on top of the dryer and keep stuffing in the lint until it is full. I put the lid on and store the jar(s) with my other prepping supplies. Then, I use the lint as fire starter. Side note....if you use a lot of softener or dryer sheets, the lint doesn't light on fire well.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2015 :  07:36:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cajungal

I posted here about a year ago and I'm still doing the same types of prepping. I've moved more to dehydrating rather than canning because you can store more dehydrated goods in the same size jars. I used to do a lot of canning of complete meals like chili, gumbo, soups, spaghetti sauce, etc... Now, I just keep all the dehydrated components separate and make up the meal when needed. The one thing I do still can is all my meats.

Here's one odd thing I do....I save the dryer lint after my clothes dry. I keep a jar on top of the dryer and keep stuffing in the lint until it is full. I put the lid on and store the jar(s) with my other prepping supplies. Then, I use the lint as fire starter. Side note....if you use a lot of softener or dryer sheets, the lint doesn't light on fire well.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

I save dryer lint too! There are two kinds of fire starters I make with it - toilet paper roll starters and paper egg carton starters. Both are easy and save "waste" items from heading to the landfill.

For the toilet paper roll fire starters, take a cardboard roll and stuff it with lint, then wrap it in discard paper (either newspaper or paper grocery sacks) and twist the ends (like a candy). Secure with a little twine if needed.

For the egg carton starters, stuff lint into each well, then top with melted soy wax. Once the wax cools, cut the wells apart so you have twelve individual fire starters. These are nice because the wax makes them long burning, so they're useful in starting a fire in less the optimum conditions.

http://www.apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile
I just made some fire starter "eggs" today! It is something I learned to make when I was a girl scout leader.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  4:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Hello all, I guess I'm a beginning Prepper and have some #10 cans or rice and beans,
and whole wheat, and typical pantry stuff-- but I'm trying to learn more and trying to understand it all at once. LOL!!

It's just me and Hubby. I've got kids on the other side of town, and they have no idea what Prepping means. Guess I'm going to have to consider their needs too.

So guys, please give me your sage advice. What types of food storages do you have experience with? Freeze dried in big cans, or freeze dried in smaller Mylar bags in medium plastic buckets?
We have a small yard, and could not begin to live off the meager amount I'm able to grow. And in town so no chickens.

With all that is happening in the world today from weather to war, I think it's past time to get this going.

I would so appreciate your advice ( especially gardening advice in Texas hot, dry and poor soil in central part).

Thanks Mary

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  3:07:01 PM  Show Profile
JUST BUY SOME HALF GALLON JARS AND FILL THEM UP WITH DRY GOODS-SHAKE UO A HAND WARMER AND PUT IT IN THE JAR, SEAL AS YOU WOULD FOR CANNING. iT WILL KEEP FOR YEARS. ALSO YOU CAN PUT EGS IN WATER GLASS-CEMRNT FLOR SEALER AND THEY WILL KEEP UP O NINE MONTHS. CALL LEHMAN BROTHERS AND ASK ABOUT PRESERVING EGGS,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Any food storage ladies out there? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page