notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  06:09:40 AM  Show Profile
I just read Winnie's comments in "The most wonderful time of the year" thread, and I thought, you know, yeah, we skip over Thanksgiving a lot. Maybe let's try to celebrate it a little more!

This is the first year I'm having Thanksgiving at my own house. My mom, sister, and brother were supposed to come over from Illinois, but family circumstances are now preventing that from happening. So, instead, I invited my dad, and it's just going to be me, my husband, three kids, and my dad. I'm used to a pretty big gathering for Thanksgiving, so it's definitely going to be different, but I'm looking forward to it.

Our traditional Thanksgiving menu has way too much food in it for 3 adults and 3 kids (who can be pretty picky). Sometimes we had as many as 4 or 5 different potato dishes alone! I'm trying to plan a menu that is traditional, diverse, and economical. In other words, I can't have eight different 9 x 13 dishes! I'm working it out. Every year we grill our turkey, so we always have plenty of oven space. I'll post the menu (other than the grilled turkey) once I have it nailed down. In the mean time I'm wondering....

What are your Thanksgiving traditions, and what is your Thanksgiving menu?

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

~ Let our lives be full of both Thanks and Giving ~

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  06:31:27 AM  Show Profile
Ours is pretty traditional as well. Also too many dishes!!

Something maybe different in our family was a family tradition of my ex-husbands that I kept for my kids. In addition to mashed potatoes we make mashed rutabagas. Really yummy! With the leftovers I would sometimes mix the rutabagas with the pototoes. Also quite yummy!

Enjoy your quieter but no doubt, very special, Thanksgiving!

Blessings,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  08:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh how I LOVE Thanksgiving- my family has a very traditional meal...turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, green rice, squash and my mom's stuffing. We get her stuffing once a year and I look forward to it all year long!!! When my nieces and nephews were younger I always planned a craft to work on in the afternoon- now we go to the cemetary to visit mu dad and then go and search out pine branches and red dogwood for decorating for Christmas. It is always a great time with the family.

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Great idea, Erin! I'm really looking forward to our Thanksgiving, too!

This year, we will enjoy:

Appetizers:

Cream Cheese and Olive stuffed Celery
Pinecone-Shaped Cheese Spread (Homemade) with Crackers (Which also might be homemade, if I can get to it!)
Whole Mixed Nuts, Opened with a Nutcracker ('Keeps the kids busy! LOL!)
Veggies with Leek Dip

Dinner:

Seven-Layer Salad
Cheesy Pecan rolls
Homemade Mixed Mustard Pickles
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Homemade Apple Sauce
Mashed Carrot and Turnip served with wedges of lemon
Mashed Garlic Potatoes with Gravy
Zucchini Casserole
Candied Yams
Cranberry and Nut Stuffing
Roasted Organic Turkey

Beverages:

Sparkling Cranberry Juice
Milk
Locally Produced Wine - TBA
Regular, Pumpkin Spice and Cranberry Coffee (from Plimoth Plantation!)
Hot tea with lemon or cream

Dessert:

Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Cranberry Orange Nut Bread
Pineapple Bake
Vanilla Ice Cream

We usually have our foster son and daughter and their kids over, as well as both of their moms and his brother. All together that makes eleven of us. Since some of the kids are young yet, it can be quite rowdy and loud at times, but it's all good. There is always such great conversation and laughter. There's usually a football game on the television at some point, but we've also been known to have a holiday movie playing. Nobody really sits and watches anything through, of course! LOL! And throughout the day, our neighbors will pop by, as well as some surprise visits from relatives. This year, we are hoping to see our son's girlfriend and her family as well, but nothing is carved in stone. They've got a big family to-do as well.

After dinner we go out to the freezing fair grounds to see the Christmas light displays, visit with Santa, take a horse-driven sleigh ride complete with wool blankets and jingle bells... If it snows, all the better! Then we waltz by the live Nativity, have a magical discussion with the talking live Christmas tree, visit the Christmas store to see all the local crafts for sale, drop by the fudge shop for a special treat, pop over for a big cup of spiced hot cider or hot cocoa, and then relax by the fire to melt our toes and noses before heading home.

Back home, we head right for the kitchen - more pie, more goodies, more laughter! LOL! Heaping boxes of leftovers are prepared for our guests to take home; leftovers are divided between refrigerator and freezer containers, and stored accordingly. The kids play games, the grown-ups thank God things are finally calming, and we all seem to slowly wind down to a lull of peaceful, full-bellied bliss. And yes, at the end of the day, as every day of the year, we are truly thankful!

I just cannot wait!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  06:40:12 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I don't think I've ever had rutabagas. That would be fun to try!

Lori, I love the idea of searching out nature-provided décor for Christmas! What a great tradition!

Nini, WOW! Can I come to your Thanksgiving?? That menu is out of this world! Sounds like you guys will have so much fun!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  07:31:53 AM  Show Profile
Our Thanksgiving is very traditional, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes pumpkin pie. Just me and hubby now, so smaller scale here in KY.
I have for the past several years, try to live "in the season" not trying to rush each along, just enjoy where I am at, season by season, and giving thanks for each one.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
www.google.com/+whitesheepfarm
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  08:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Sure, Erin! There are always extra places at our Thanksgiving table for those we love! Teri - You and your hubby could come, too! The more the merrier! Always! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  08:42:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini! but after ALL the YEARS of big dinners with 25++ family members at the house, all the work, all the food, friends and great time spent, we are very content with our traditions now.
A nice meal, long walk in the woods with the dogs and of course watching the Christmas story!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
www.google.com/+whitesheepfarm
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  09:11:29 AM  Show Profile
LOL! I understand, Teri... My Mom basically said the same thing when I talked with her about holiday plans this past week. She said that now all of our grandparents are gone, her grandkids are growing and starting to go their own way, and having just retired, she and my stepdad are looking forward to a nice, peaceful Thanksgiving alone together. They don't want to go anywhere, they don't want to rush through the holiday season trying to see everyone or host everything. Right now, it's their time; they're looking forward to a quiet celebration alone, enjoying the new special traditions they are going to share. I completely understand! It's always fun, but at the end of a big whirlwind holiday, I need a couple of days to reset myself! :) Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  09:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Nini, you have your hands full. Wow, how do you get all,of,that done. Our house will have a Traditional on e with turkey, potatoes, gravy, brookville corn, rolls, fruit salad, pie and trifle. Then on the weekend we will have another one with more family and have smoked pulled pork, cheesy green beans, cinnamon applesauce salad with a sweetened cream cheese layer on top, a spinach, cranberry, and sunflower seed, salad with vinegar dressing, chocolate mousse, and peanut butter pie. I am grateful I can make a lot of this up ahead of time.
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Erin...I love reading all the comments and plans that everyone has for Thanksgiving:)I used to have Thanksgiving with my sister and her family...but for the past few years I have cooked Thanksgiving Dinner at our house...It's my sweet husband and me...our son and 2 daughters and a neighbor who has no family to spend Thanksgiving with...such a blessing to open our home to others during such a special holiday...we used to have another lady who lived in our community but she moved closer to her family a couple hours away...Our family has the traditional meal...turkey...homemade cornbread sage dressing made with the fresh turkey broth...dumplings...mashhed potatoes...sweet potatoes...peas...green beans...and rolls...for dessert...we have pumpkin pie(for my son)...and homemade Swiss Chocolate cake and homemade Apple Stack Cake...we love being together for the Thanksgiving Holiday:):):)

Hugs!

~Judy~

"Autumn~The year's last, loveliest smile."

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

Edited by - wildflower17 on Nov 15 2014 5:07:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13569 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13569 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  5:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Erin,
Thanks for not skipping Thanksgiving. I like this holiday because, for us, it's peaceful and quiet and "easy". We just enjoy the day with a nice meal and no big fuss. The last two years we were at our daughter's in Phoenix and had nice quiet days . . . last year, we were worn out and tired and did NOT want to fuss over a meal, so we didn't. We did enjoy the desert sunshine and an easy meal.

This year we will be joining our pastor and his wife at their home with whoever else comes from our little fellowship group. Looking forward to another peaceful and quiet day with some good homecooking!

I'm thankful to the Lord for His continued grace, mercy, provision, strength and unconditional LOVE . . . and everything that HE IS!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2014 :  5:02:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow, reading this post is making me hungry! So many wonderful menus planned and favorite dishes waiting to grace the table again! It is fun to read about all of the differences as well as the similarities of what we Farmgirls consider a favorite Thanksgiving meal. It is hard to choose sometimes what to make and what to leave off. I love Thanksgiving traditionals like turkey and dressing and mashed potatoes. And from growing up to now, you can't forget the TURKEY SOUP!! Oh, that is always a favorite on the weekend after Thanksgiving. Does anyone else enjoy watching the Macy's Day Parade? I love all the excitement of everyone and watch all of the big balloons and bands pass by. It is just fun to have it on in the background while working in the kitchen.

It is going to be a cold celebration this year if the weather continues to behave like it has this past week!

Over the River and through the Woods, to Grandmother's house we go. The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh through the drifting snow!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2014 :  5:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Since moving down south, it is usually just our immediate family for Thanksgiving. This year, we may have friends (husband, wife, and two children) here as well, as they will be moving to Germany in the near future. As far as menu, we will have a veggie and fruit tray it he shape of turkeys ;) than for dinner we will have an organic turkey, Brussels sprouts with cranberries and pecans, roasted sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, baked corn, and homemade cranberry sauce. Dessert will be apple and pumpkin pie. Speaking of pie, after we get our turkey in, we will be heading to the local fire stations and police departments to drop off some homemade pies to them as well. I think we are going to do apple this year- we usually do pumpkin. Anyways, ater we eat, we may start decorating, lol. Not sure though. It will depend on if we have company or not! If we do not start then, we will start on Fruday! Rather than "black Friday," we do "decorating Friday."

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  2:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Teri - Christmas Story! I love it. My husband makes fun of me for liking that movie, because it has nothing about the REAL Christmas story in it, but I still like it.

Kem - We do a trifle too, a pumpkin trifle instead of pumpkin pie. What kind do you do?

Judy - That's great that you are able to have people over who may have no where else to spend the holiday.

CJ - Easy sounds good. Thanksgiving isn't what I think most people would call an "easy" holiday. I mean, it was easy enough when I was little, and mom did all the work (lol) but now that I'm the mom... not so easy. But, I love all the food, and I LOVE leftovers. So I can deal with a little stress for that payoff I guess :)

Winnie - I LOVE the parade! I watched it every year at my mom's house. This year I'll be at my house though, and I don't have TV, just a roku. So I don't think there's any way I can watch it. I was thinking about that, and I'm so sad to miss it this year!

Shannon - I love the idea of dropping off pie for people who have to work still on Thanksgiving! And we also do "decorating Friday" instead of black Friday. If I catch wind of the sales, I'm always tempted to go out on black Friday, because I love a deal, but I've never actually done it. The idea of fighting the crowd like that sounds like a nightmare to me.

Thanks everyone for sharing your Thanksgiving traditions! I now have an addition of two for dinner. My husbands stepfather and his friend will be joining us. So I might get those 9 x 13's going after all!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  4:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Shannon & Erin - I love the pie idea! As a matter of fact, I was a the doctor's office this morning, and this lady came in with a big basket of cookies decorated with Royal icing to look like pumpkin pie with whipped cream. They were all wrapped up in pretty cellophane and tied with autumn-colored ribbons. She said she brings them with her wherever she goes during the Thanksgiving season to give to all the people who provide services to her throughout the year - right down to the bag boys at the grocery store. What a lovely thing to do! I wish I had thought of that myself! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  05:18:08 AM  Show Profile
Well I'm pretty sure I have my menu now.

Appetizers:
Kaukauna cheese and crackers (a tradition)
Cheesy Bacon Dip (can you tell we like cheese?)
Fruit cornucopias for the kids

Main:
Grilled Turkey
Parmesan Au Gratin Potatoes
Vegetable Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Corn
Cornbread
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Stuffing
and either mashed potatoes or some kind of sweet potatoes... to be determined.

Dessert:
Spiced Pumpkin Trifle
Iced Homemade Cutout Leaf Cookies
Also I guess some store bought cookies my husband came home with last night. He's so silly. I bake all the time. All kinds of things. Bread, biscuits, cookies, quick breads, granola bars, and he buys cookies at the store. He's always a sucker for an impulse buy!

Drinks:
Cranberry Wine, Chardonnay or Zinfandel/Shiraz Blend (Cranberry from a somewhat local, more regional winery, chardonnay and blend we made)
Sparkling White Grape Juice for kids
Apple Cider

That's my plan! I'm happy that I can make a good bit of this ahead of time!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  6:18:34 PM  Show Profile
It's just the three of us, but I still make it a big deal! We will have turkey, LadyBird Johnson's cornbread stuffing, carrot souffle, mashed potatoes, Danish candied white potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, broccoli, rolls, and pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream. We will eat until we pop, then watch movies together, then eat leftovers for a late dinner/snack! Calories don't count on Thanksgiving! We also dress up for dinner and eat in the dining room, with Christmas carols playing.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2014 :  2:08:49 PM  Show Profile
How many Farmgirls have the tradition to put up the family Christmas tree after Thanksgiving dinner? We travel out of town for dinner to Tallahassee and I always see trees all lit up in the window Thanksgiving night when we drive home.

Speaking of Thanksgiving dinner, I just had the thought that it will mean left over pie. And that means....you can have pumpkin or apple pie for breakfast the next day!!! Hooray! With a slice of cheddar cheese of course! Remember me talking about this during apple season? Well, looking at the menus listed here and other places, there will be an abundant amount of leftover pie. Who will join me for Pie for Breakfast on Friday morning??

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  05:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Nicole - Your menu sounds heavenly! I've never heard of Danish candied white potatoes but they sounds really good!

Winnie - We will get our tree the day before Thanksgiving, and put it up the day after (after my husband gives it a fresh cut, of course). I'm not having pie!! I don't know how this got started, but somehow pie made it's way out of our Thanksgiving tradition and it was replaced with a spiced pumpkin trifle. The trifle is really good, it has pumpkin mousse (of course) homemade whipped cream, and gingersnaps soaked in spiced rum. It always makes me a little sad that there's no pie though! No one in my family ever made pie. I grew up in the Chicago area, and we always got our pies from Baker's Square every holiday. That might sound a little depressing, but they're really good!! When I was growing up, we always got French Silk and Pumpkin for Thanksgiving, and Pumpkin and Candy Cane for Christmas. I might have my husband pick up a pie when he gets the tree, just so I can have some for breakfast the next morning!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4913 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4913 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  07:05:23 AM  Show Profile

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Farmgirl of the Month, August 2014
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  4:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Connie for your cute photo! Perfect for the Pumpkin Pie for Breakfast Challenge!1

Hey Erin, I bet your trifle is delicious but I have to agree with you that, while wonderful and light, it just isn't the same as a real plain pumpkin pie. I think adding a pie to hubby's list while he is out and about sounds like an epic idea!! But of course, I am biased!! LOL!! You bakery growing up sounds like just the best. A local place that makes magic happen in all of it's baked products! For sure your family must have enjoyed many delights from that place. Sounds wonderful!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  6:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, the pie from Baker's Square is really good, but I don't want to give you the wrong impression. It's a chain restaurant! Not even local. That's what I mean when I say it's a little depressing. Don't get me wrong, in my family, we all cook. My brother is always coming up with his own crazy concoctions, and my sister makes really good food. I get recipes from her all the time (she's only 24, but cooks all the time). My mom makes killer food. Her potato salad is to die for. We just have never done homemade pie, or pastries (?) I guess. I'll try to tackle it eventually, but for now, it's coming from a store. I'll envy all of you with your homemade pies!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  07:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Erin, we do a chocolate pudding trifle. It has chocolate cake, cool whip, chocolate pudding, and grated hershey candy bar on top of last layer of cool whip. I think pumpkin trifle sounds good, will have to look up the recipe.
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  06:46:35 AM  Show Profile
Kem, that sounds awesome. I don't know what it is about trifles, but I love them. I have an Irish whiskey trifle I make every St. Patrick's Day too.

My dad brought a pecan pie! It's not pumpkin, but at least I won't be pie-less for Thanksgiving!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Thanksgiving 2014! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page