Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  2:06:30 PM  Show Profile
We finally got our new wood burning stove installed (replacing an old inefficient replica from the Stone Age Ha!)It was a long haul, with some unexpected chimney remediation and many visits from the stove shop.
But, thankfully, right as the weather turned cold, we are ready.
We are LOVING the top load feature, especially the grill insert.
See the toasting chestnuts??
We've done burgers, steaks, and the best baked potatoes ever with crispy skins and melt in your mouth insides.
The meat we've done has just the slightest taste of wood smoke, nothing too powerful, which I worried about.
And, surprisingly, the cooking is fairly easy; I haven't burned anything yet!
Here is a pic of the chestnuts on the insert.
So fun, and SOO worth the wait! (sorry for the wood ash; those who burn wood understand this dilemma!)

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  2:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Lisa
Your chestnuts roasting look so yummy. I am currently looking at wood stoves. I have a mason scheduled to come look at taking out the old fireplace and re-rocking the walls. But probably can't afford the stove until next spring. Your post wants it all done so much quicker. But like you I want it all done right and it will be worth the wait. Enjoy all your cooking on it.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  5:48:52 PM  Show Profile
If I can do mine woodstove over again, it will be with an 8 inch pipe instead of 6 inch.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  6:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Betty
We went from 8 to 6.
The technology of this stove is so special, and we have had several windy days, and our draft has been fine. We did a lot of research before we decided, and the Harman stove has a secondary draft system that (once you have a good hot fire going) is hot, smoke free and very efficient. There are several videos on You Tube that describe this system. Basically, you have a strong secondary draft that will enable this stove to burn for up to 16 hrs, if properly fed. I know what you mean, I was skeptical to reduce the size of my pipe, but thanks to a very knowledgable, 80 YO stove guy ( I could write a book!) that knows stoves and chimneys, we have a beautiful set up.
It has ben a pleasure to light a fire!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6825 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6825 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2014 :  03:24:26 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I really like your stove. I've never eaten a chestnut, never even seen one, only have read about them in stories or heard about them in songs, but they do look so good roasting on top of your stove.

Do chestnuts have to be roasted or can they be eaten raw like other nuts?

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2014 :  4:49:10 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I like your stove and the cooking feature on top. That is really cool and very useful cooking feature too. I have never had roasted chestnuts from an open fire, but I bet they were quite good. Thanks for sharing all about your 80 YO stove!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2014 :  6:04:11 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, mine has a 6 inch pipe now. It justs seems I get so much smoke in unless there is a good fire going. This is my second year with this woodstove. I can't figure if I need to be doing something different. I was told an 8 inch would help.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  08:42:58 AM  Show Profile
Betty
I know there was another discussion on here about piping. Our old stove with the 8 in would smoke quite a bit, but that was likely due to a chimney problem. Most of the new stoves have 6 in pipe, maybe they could be fitted somehow with the 8 in; I don't know. We are having a very windy day today, and the fire hasn't smoked at all. Maybe have a pro look at it. That has made all the difference for us.
Sorry to hijack the kitchen thread with stove discussions!
And Sara, I am fairly sure a chestnut has to be cooked. It has an outer shell, and a very bitter inner skin (ask me how I know that!), but the nit inside is the consistency of a kind of a chewy sweet potato. A fun seasonal treat for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  09:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Lisa! That is AWESOME! I've never seen a stove that had a top-load and cooking feature like that! How COOL! And being able to roast chestnuts? PRICELESS! Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Every time I hear that song now, I'll be thinking of you! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  09:56:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, this is a great topic to call on Mary Jane. She always does such a fancy and beautiful way of sharing knowledge on a topic. Interestingly, I first tasted a roasted chestnut when I was in Spain walking in a small village at night. The "gypsies" there have little open grills and they sell a cone full of hot chestnuts (the cone is made from rolling newspaper). They taste somewhat like a lightly sweetened potato. I too thought they have to be roasted but when I was in Germany I saw young kids on the bus shelling them picked up from the ground and eating the white flesh in the middle raw. Remember, make sure the variety you have is the edible one. The others are poisonous!

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Southern Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Alice
Inman SC
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  12:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Lisa - so interesting. What make is your stove? I love heating with wood - haven't seen a stove with this feature.
Southern Farmgirl #5933
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2014 :  11:39:12 AM  Show Profile
I have never seen one with a grill either. Mine has a flat top I could cook on. I have kept a pot of water for hot chocolate on top.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  02:42:54 AM  Show Profile
Lisa that is so awesome! I've never seen one with a top like that.

Connie

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Soap & Candles
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2014 :  08:06:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks you guys. The stove is a Harman. We looked at several, and liked the Quadra fire too; it has a huge top surface that would be great for heating water and soups etc. But we fell in love with the top load feature of the Harman. We can still heat water etc, but the surface is not as big as the Quadra Fire was. However, this was the only stove we saw with the top load and grill insert.
Here's a link to their page. They are made in MN. http://www.harmanstoves.com/Browse/Stoves/Wood-Stoves.aspx#
We got the TL 300

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page