Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Indiana - land of the taxes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Indiana - land of the taxes Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  11:49:48 AM  Show Profile
Just recently found out that Indiana is going to up taxes again. This time for horse owners. I don't know all the details yet - finding answers is proving to be a little difficult. Here's what I do know. If you have horses and no other livestock, your pasture ground is going to be reclassified from agricultural to excess residential. County assessor can then choose to up your tax rate by 1200% - yes - 1200%. The only way around it is to have cattle, goats, hogs or other livestock that also use the same pasture that farm can sell to show a profit. Another way is to show income from boarding. I am aware of a couple of horse farms in Boone County that have had to sell because they couldn't afford the tax bill. It's going state-wide. One of my gal pals talked to the Hamilton County assessors office and he told her basically the same thing. The farm must show a profit from farm-type income.

Oh - and these county assessors also don't recognize horses as livestock even though the USDA classifies them as such. I just don't get it. Well - yes I do - money.
Indiana put a cap on property taxes and now counties are trying to come up with other ways of getting money instead of cutting back on expenses.

Just an example of what taxes could look like for a person like me who owns 18 acres. If my regular property taxes were say, $1700/year they could up to as much as $20,000/year. That would put us out of the farming business in Indiana. My husband and I are already talking about what we will do.

1. buy some cattle
2. buy some more meat goats
3. buy some sheep
4. Move out of state.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  12:54:23 PM  Show Profile
Holy cr@p, Lora!!!!! That is insane.

While Texas isn't perfect, although it's purdy darn near, it's a great place to live. We have no state income tax. There are a variety of agricultural exemptions and land is relatively affordable. For example, in this southeast part of Texas, 20 acres can be found from $2000/acre on up. We have an almost year-round growing season.

Come on down!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  4:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
What if u just have land

Roxanna Farmgirl# 3963
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  5:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Ugh.....

I know they are trying to attract manufacturing and tech companies to enjoy our Hoosier Hospitality - but YIKES! this is going to be painful if we landowners pay more so that business can pay less.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  06:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Lora that's horrible. I'm so sorry. I'm from Illinois but I've lived in Indiana for 12 years. I'm disappointed to hear that about my now-home state. I'll pray that you and your family can come up with an acceptable solution for this money grab.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

~ Joyeux Noel! ~

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  6:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Hubs and I own about 60 acres in Brookville IN that we would love to move to.
But it is steep land, heavily wooded, and would cost 30 K to get electric to the home site we want. Or as much to go off grid. Plus septic, well, and a barn for our goats. Just not cost effective right now.
We pay a few hundred a year in taxes. Hope we don't see a huge increase.
Sure would like to use that land.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile
I hear all of you. We are still trying to get answers about just plain land - not ag not residential - just unimproved land. So far I can't get any answers. In my opinion -its a lot like Obama care - won't know what's in it until you get the F-11 paperwork. Sickening.

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  1:51:32 PM  Show Profile
DH and I talked today about this whole deal again. He's considering cutting down nearly all of our trees and turning everything into a hay field - that way we could show profit when we sell hay. We'd have 4 acres of 'goat' pasture for the horses and goats and 14 in hay. One things for sure - we'd never run out of firewood. It breaks my heart to think of cutting down the trees since those are part of the reason we bought this place. I know we are going to work on clearing some of the fence rows to make more room for hay, but we'll keep the trees right up against the fences for birds and other wildlife. We just want to 'take back' what Mother Nature is trying to take over. It was cleared years ago and due to lack of upkeep, the trees and bushes have spread out about 10-15 feet away from the fences.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - May 09 2015 :  8:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
In Texas, you cannot get an Ag exemption just for raising horses for personal use, but if you raise horses to buy/sell then that counts for an Ag exemption.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  12:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Really sad for y'all Lora. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2015 :  2:34:30 PM  Show Profile
Haven't heard any more just yet. All my horsey friends are keeping their ears and eyes open for new info.

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Indiana - land of the taxes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page