Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just talkin' Next Topic  

AdeleHale
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Columbus Georgia
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood! Sunny, 69 degrees, with a little breeze.

Woke up this morning, planning to make bread since we ran out yesterday. But, the King Arthur Flour recipe, I didn't read it all the way through, and it turned out we don't have the refrigerator space to keep a five-gallon bucket of dough in there. Nix that plan. Sam, my 15 year old son, made biscuits instead - it's that recipe from this month's Sister issue - and they are divine! It was his first time making biscuits and sausage (from a roll, instead of preformed patties) and it was a grand slam! Yum! I made sure to tell him how good he did - positive reinforcement and all.

My town, Columbus, GA, has a street market downtown every Saturday. My 11-year-old daughter, Jamie, and I went for the first time this season to see if we could find some decent bread and potatoes. No potatoes, I guess it's too soon or too late, but we did get a lovely round of sourdough from a bakery in Pine Mountain and a loaf of honey wheat AND . . . dum dum dum! Half a gallon of raw unpasteurized FRESH milk! Technically, it's illegal to buy and sell fresh milk in Georgia, unless everybody involved states that it is only for animals. I agree . . . it's only for us animals. <solemn face, laughing inside> The dairy is just up the road in Butler and they have Jersey cows, too. We also went to Fresh Market and picked up some Florida potatoes and that Dry soda that was mentioned in this month's issue and rosewater and vanilla beans - now if I can only find the darn ice cream freezer. If not, I have my eye on an old hand-crank model on Etsy.

So what about y'all? How has your day been?

soon-to-be wife, mom to 2 teenage boys and 1 tween girl, companion to 3 cats and a dog. Always learning . . .

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6833 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6833 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  3:00:43 PM  Show Profile
I enjoyed hearing about your day. For me it's a piddling kind of day.

Dried some kale & cooked a butternut squash. That's the extend of my cooking today. Left overs & cheese & crackers will keep me fed and give me time to work on other things.

Raked oak moss in front & back yards. Don't know what else to call that brown stuff that falls from some oaks this time of year. My tall oak tree doesn't have it but two spreading oaks close to me do. The wind has been blowing steadily for weeks now so the mossy stuff has covered everything in sight.

Gave the chicks their first taste of tuna this morning. 3/4 of a can went to Maggie (rat terrier) for breakfast and a 1/4 for the chicks. I'm allergic to it so it was all for them. Giving the chicks tuna sure beats hunting worms to give them extra protein for healthy little bodies.

I do a little then I rest a lot. During my resting time I watch the cooking shows on PBS, and work on Denim Cuff Swap. Speaking of PBS tonight I will be watching two of my favorite British comedies ~~ As Time Goes By & Keeping up Appearances. I have seen them so many times I find myself knowing what they are going to say. But, that's okay, it's sort of like visiting with old friends that tell the same story over and over again.

After the comedies is a British mystery ~~ Father Brown. I have been a fan of British mysteries for years. By the time Father Brown has solved the murder I will be ready for bed. When I lay there and think about all the things I have to be thankful for today will be definitely be on the list.

Have a blessed day, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  4:19:10 PM  Show Profile
My day has been super fun. This morning I went to a workshop to learn about planes and worlds of consciousness and since I was the only attendee I ended up getting a polarity treatment session and learned how to give one!!! That was sooooo AWESOME!!! Came home and watched some Criminal Minds on Netflix with the husband and then took the dogs for a hike up the mountain with my son. I learned a little about dowsing at the workshop this morning so my son and I played with my dowsing rods and found 2 huge energy vortexes on our usual hiking trail, which was really cool. I also put my plants that wintered inside out on the front porch and talked to my garden. My son and I walked the property and talked about herbs that are growing all over the place.

Sara, I LOVE British tv. We don't have cable, just a Roku, and I wish wish wish that either Netflix of Amazon Prime would get more British shows on. One of my favorites is Are you being served.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://rachelsmithhhp.com

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6833 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6833 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  4:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, Currently PBS Channel 13 out of Dallas airs British shows 3 times a week. Thurs nights it's Doc Martin, Midsommer Murders; Sat night it's As Time Goes By, Keeping up Appearances, Father Brown, New Tricks; Sun night it's Call the Midwife, Downey Abby, Wolf Hall. Those are the ones I can recall - may be leaving out one or two.

Are You Being Served shows up now and then. Last of the Summer Wine is one of my favorites but it hasn't been on in quite a while.

Have a blessed day, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  11:30:52 PM  Show Profile
I am currently in Lyon, France and yesterday we had a wonderful tour of the city and a shop where they still do hand printed silk scarves like they have done for centuries. It was fascinating ! Back in the 16th Century, Lyon became the silk capital in rivalry with Italy. Soon it overcame Italy as the heart of silk production and many Italians moved here to do their business. As a result , there is a lot of architectural influence from Italy in the housing dwelllings still still exist today in the old part of town. Someone........ Came away with a small silk scarf. Just sayin' wink!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

AdeleHale
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Columbus Georgia
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  12:09:02 PM  Show Profile
Rachel, we only have Roku, too. I haven't watched much British TV, except for Torchwood - I've been trying to get into Doctor Who, but it hasn't happened yet.

Winnie! That sounds lovely. I've never traveled overseas, but my son, Sam, and I have high hopes. How long are you there? Post a pic and show us your new scarf!
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  3:53:27 PM  Show Profile
We just have a roku also. I think a lot of people are dropping cable in favor of roku. We've never had cable, but I know it's a lot cheaper to use a wifi device plus whatever extras you want. We just have amazon prime and netflix.

I <3 <3 Doctor Who, probably a little too much. I've watched it... too many times. That being said, the first season (of the new doctor who), can be a little rough to get through. Production quality is bad, but it should not be skipped, and the series only gets better. I finally got my husband to watch it, but he's going slow. Call the Midwife is really good too.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  3:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It's been a long time since I've seen an episode of Are You Being Served . . . but my hubby and I love that show. We also enjoy Keeping Up Appearances, Father Brown, Downton Abbey, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Doc Martin, Ballykissangel and Death in Paradise.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2015 :  09:39:51 AM  Show Profile
The British show I liked is Butterflys. It is about a housewife who is unhappy with her life. It is so sweet and really, really, funny.

My favorite Doctor is Tom Baker with the unruly, curly hair and long, long scarf. My husband won't watch it. I have made the cat nurse costume for a sci-fi convention. I friend made the cat face mask with an articulated jaw.

Right now I am watching Law and Order: SVU. I want to start watching the Dark Shadows series. I watched it as a kid but I could only see episodes continuously in the summer. My husband doesn't want to watch that either. <sigh>

I will be going to a lady's house today to work on costumes for the school's production of The Jungle Book. I will be meeting her at a nearby park where she is doing a spoken word performance and she will take me, my sewing machine and dog to her place. She is a total riot.

My husband will be rehearsing with the other guitar player at home. I will probably start on the garden tomorrow.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  05:27:28 AM  Show Profile
I love British TV! We also don't have cable (don't even have the option where we live. Used to have a RoKu but now just have Amazon Prime. My favorite shows are Good Neighbors (from the early 80s I think?), and more recently "Moone Boy" and "Mrs. Browns Boys" but both of those are a little more on the "racy" side. ;)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just talkin' Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: