sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  1:22:14 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a home-made receipt for hair shampoo?
hugs Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  4:30:14 PM  Show Profile
I've been experimenting with castille soap, aloe vera gel, coconut water, and argan oil. So far, I really like the results. I mixed mine in a measuring cup them poured it into a soap dispenser. I didn't record the exact measurements (I'm so bad about that, I just pour until it seems like that's enough) but my order of ingredients above goes from greatest amount used to least. This works well for me, my hair is soft and it gets tangled less, definitely easier to brush after showering and I have not had to use conditioner at all (although I do want to experiment with making some one of these days). Plus it smells really nice (so my husband says--I can't smell most of the time). I have made one batch with some rosewater in it that I liked, but didn't really notice any difference in how well it cleaned my hair, just the scent. Once that is used up, I plan to try making some liquid soap nut soap and trying it with that to see what it does.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://rachelsmithhhp.com

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Alise
True Blue Farmgirl

229 Posts

Alise
United States Minnesota
229 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  2:44:17 PM  Show Profile
I've been working with a clay-based shampoo based on a commercial brand I bought once and liked. I only wash my hair every couple of weeks or so, so I'm not too concerned about too much clay going down the pipes; plus, you really don't need that much- maybe a tablespoon or less at a time. (But I have long, fine hair). I mix up the afore-mentioned Tbsp of bentonite clay with a bit of aloe vera gel and enough stinging nettle tincture I made up to make a paste. I could swap out the tincture for tea, I suppose, and/or add a tiny bit of essential oil.

When I "shampoo", I actually first like to do an oil treatment on my dry hair, then "shampoo" with the clay- basically just try to mush it in all over the best I can little bits at a time as some clumps might fall off my hair and into the sink- and then massage it in well. If I have extra time, I pop a shower cap over my head with a towel over that and let the clay detox my scalp for 1/2 hour or so then rinse it all out with apple cider diluted in water.

May sound a bit cumbersome, but I like it better than the baking soda routine that works for some others, but not really for me. I believe this shmpoo could keep well for some time if you used commercial aloe vera gel, etc. and/or added Vitamin E or citric acid as natural preservatives. Would have to do some research on that, though...

Have fun. Making your own products is always an adventure, but so satisfying. (But you probably already know that).

Blessings to you on your life's journey.
Go to Top of Page

DustBowlMomma
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Chelsea
Slaughterville Oklahoma
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  7:39:12 PM  Show Profile
I do the no'poo method with baking soda and water, followed by apple cider vinegar and water as my conditioner. If I don't do the vinegar, my hair feels super dried out though. It took a few weeks to get my scalp adjusted to not having to produce so much oil, but after that, it works like a charm and my hair is longer than it's ever been!
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic hair shampoo Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page