True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  10:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls!

Five more days... Just FIVE more days... And then it's over... Homeschool will be finished, all the reporting will be done, the final private evaluation will have taken place... All the documentation will be submitted to the Superintendent's office for the final time... All the required paperwork will be off to PHAA... Everything will be in place for graduation and celebrating... and college! My boy will finally be on his own, no longer a boy, but a man, ready to explore the world and discover his purpose! I am very proud of the stellar, independent, wise (sometimes wise-cracking), genuinely good, honorable, God-loving man he has become! On to exciting, new chapters to our lives! I feel the burden lifting! The excitement is welling up inside!

Suddenly the sing-songy saying, "No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers dirty looks," suddenly takes on a whole new meaning for me. Actually now it should more appropriately be sung, "No more papers, no more reports, no more student's snarky retorts!" < Would a little Mommy dance be totally inappropriate? ;) >

SO true...No more books, no more snarky comebacks, no more pulling teeth, no more rolled eyes, no more stressful test taking, no more deadlines, no more arguments, no more typing or reading or reviewing or pounding out lesson plans, test papers or grades… and no more wonderful times of discovery together, just the two of us, "the team"... :( Finis. Complete. Roger Wilko. Over and out. My job will have been done. Mommy will have left the building.

No more Plato... No more Homer or Livy or Virgil or Cicero or Plutarch or Tacitus... Goodbye Chaucer and Rabelais, you crazy kats... Arrivederci Machiavelli... Hasta la vista, Cervantes... Uh - Buh Bye Bacon... Many returns, Milton... Smooth sailing, Twain... I nod to you, oh Bard of Avon... You are part of my soul, native brothers and sisters of America -especially you, wise Metacom, honorable and praiseworthy visionary Tecumseh, brave Cherokee nation and John Ross, fierce Geronimo, the persevering Lakota people, and those who stood at Wounded Knee – yes, in my heart you, indeed, SHALL remain! Thank you, Paine and Locke and Thoreau and Emerson and Kant... Dream on, Whitman, my dear old friend.... I'll always remember you fondly, Aslan, Samwise Gamgee, Antonia, Miss Jane Pittman, Huck, Dagny, John Galt, and Jo and Meg and Beth and Amy... I treasure your works, Mr. Lewis and Mr. Tolkien - thank you. Bless you, St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Thomas More and Dr. Scott Hahn... Thank you, David McCullough, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Barbara Tuchman, Erich Maria Remarque, Dick Winters and Steven Ambrose, for telling things as they were. And to you, oh Pilgrims from across the seas, Governor Bradford, and our founding fathers, especially John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, your courage, determination and words will never leave me; I am, indeed, a better person for knowing you. And, thank you, Mac and John and Dave, for keeping my eyes open and my understanding clear. To ALL of you who have put paper to pen in order to enlighten, move and entertain – on behalf of my son and I: bless and thank you. But especially to Father God, Lord Jesus and the Holy Spirit Who lives within me, I owe my all. I am yours. Do with me what You Will, and help me to honor You all the days of my life, and to become the woman you created me to be. EVERYONE should see themselves through Your loving eyes; it is the most beautiful thing. YOU I will never leave... Thank You for bringing us through!

It has been quite a ride, it really has: the most fun, most hair-raising, satisfying roller-coaster ride ever. It was all totally worth it. I'd do it all over again, if given the chance, believe me - just point me to the line. I see the fruits of my labor. My son is a pretty awesome guy, and I got to be there every step of the way, watching him blossom, burgeon and beam. What an amazing journey; most excellent, indeed. He will do great. He will become all that he is meant to be. He will enjoy all God's blessings that are in store. I look forward to watching his future unfold and discover where his path leads him. The best is yet to be!

I have to wonder, though... What it will be like now? I wonder if my house will ever really be clean again? I wonder what my coffee table top really looks like? I wonder what it will be like reading because I want to again, rather than because I have to?

I wonder what I'm supposed to do with the rest of my life? Who AM I? What is my next assignment? What will be my quest?

I'm ready now. No big retirement party; no commemorative watch; no big send off... but that's okay - I don't need any of the hoopla. Now it's just time to figure out me. Time to be. How exciting is that?! I can hardly wait to rise to the challenge!

As one of my son's beloved childhood heroes would do: out pop my wings, down goes the visor… looking to the future, and pointing to the stars, I reach out and valiantly proclaim: "To infinity, and beyond!"

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on May 16 2015 10:37:33 AM

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  11:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well done, "mom" Nini! Congratulations to your son and prayers for his future!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  12:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations to you and to your son, Nini. Job well done! Hugs
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  03:00:55 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Nini! As a homeschool mom only a couple of years in, this post is encouraging! :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/

Edited by - notathreatinsight on May 17 2015 03:01:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  03:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Nini...Congratulation for a Job Well Done!!! You must be so proud of your Son and yet so thankful that
this is now a book closed in your lives. He will go on to bigger and better pursuits and you will go
on to having your life back. Do you even remember what that feels like? Well, if you don't...God will
direct your paths after He gives you a well deserved respite for your love, dedication and ministry to
your child. May you just sit back for awhile and rejoice in the fruits of your labor as you watch that
Man-Child of yours spread his wings and fly solo.

Love and Immense Respect for Home-Schooling Moms Like You,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  07:34:30 AM  Show Profile
Nini, congratulations on your son's graduations and YOURS!
What a learning time you have shared, not just facts but also learning about each other, learning about the importance of the relationship you have, learning about how learning itself works.
So many tasks in life are pretty thankless, but to see the results in the young man your son has become is priceless!
Both of you will find your way from here, no doubt it will be a great continuing adventure.
Hugs!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3021 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3021 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  1:32:12 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Nini and to your son too! I wish you both all the best and many many blessings in the next chapter of your lives.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  2:27:58 PM  Show Profile
A big Congratulations to you and your son! I wish him well with his next steps into the future!! What do YOU plan to do with your free time now??? Any projects and inspirations that have been on hold for lack of time?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  3:04:21 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations to you and your son for completing an amazing journey together! And now on to individual brand new adventures. What an accomplishment!

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 17 2015 :  3:53:22 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Nini!!!To you and to your son! Onward and Upward!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 18 2015 :  1:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Nini: Graduation means well done, and you both deserve it. Home schooling is a challenge, but well worth the effort. Kudos to you both.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  08:22:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! Now I have the Alice Cooper song singing in my head! lol

Congratulations Nini! Wow, that is quite an accomplishment. I do not think I could ever home school. It requires so much disciple and motivation. I tip my hat to you! Enjoy your free time. I'm positive you will find a gazillion things to do. Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com

Edited by - ceridwen on May 19 2015 08:22:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  09:24:03 AM  Show Profile
So happy for you and your son!! Congratulations!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  9:23:48 PM  Show Profile
#12362;#12417;#12391;#12392;#12358;
(omedet#333;)
CONGRATULATION!!!!!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  9:24:27 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what that is......At lest the congrats went through!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - May 23 2015 :  6:45:59 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations!! I remember how it felt to know all the hard work had done so much good in the lives of our children. I can't believe it has been 9 years since our last one graduated. I'm happy to say that now my grandchildren are being homeschooled.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 30 2015 :  11:56:38 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, sisters! This has really been a wonderful journey!!! And yes - if I can do this, you can do it, too! Just remember: coffee and Miss Clairol really do become your best friends! LOL! Just kidding... Your best friends are actually chocolate brownies and ice cream! LOL! JUST KIDDING!!!!

I apologize for taking so long to respond... Just been very busy tying up loose ends, sorting through all the books, and with life in general. SO much yet to do!!!

I do apologize to our farmgirl sister who emailed me - from Maine, I think? I did get your email, and meant to reply, but somehow accidentally deleted it. I feel so, so bad. Please write again, I'd love to correspond with you! To answer your questions - yes, we're Catholic! We based our high school history/geography and English primarily on Angelicum Academy's Great Books Program, and this past year I did a combination of the Great Books with Veritas Press' Omnibus Program with a few of my own selections tossed in. :) Please do write again, though - I would really love that!

As far as "what next?" I am still not sure. Our homeschool evaluator asked me if I'd be interested in tutoring for another local family whose mother has fallen ill, and, of course, I have said yes. I'm sure I will be hearing from the family later this summer. They're probably in the throes of wrapping up this past school year right now, just as I am. I also promised my best friend from childhood that I would start my blog and write a book as soon as my son finished school, so I'm working on those. She is strongly encouraging me to do freelance writing, as are my mother and some friends, but I need to investigate that a bit further - all in due time. I'd REALLY like to become a master food preserver and gardener through our county's extension, then offer classes at the Community College as well as in my home, but the extension isn't offering classes yet, so we'll see. Right now, I'm just tossing around ideas. I really do still have a lot of homeschool stuff to finish tackling first, and there are quite a few things here at home that need to be addressed before I delve into new projects. All in due time. All in due time. I'm hardly bored, believe me!

Mostly right now, I'm just happy to BE! :)

Thanks for celebrating with me!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on May 30 2015 11:58:19 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just Five More Days! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page