New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hot diggity Digging dog! Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  10:17:55 PM  Show Profile
We are having a terrible time with our lab/pit mix this past week.
She dug an enormous hole under the fence and escaped resulting in an animal control pick up, etc... We thought we fixed this area and she has gotten out by digging 3 more times. We have a large yard that is semi wooded at the back but we are completely fenced . We have had this dog for almost 7 1/2 years and she never did this before. WHAT has gotten into her?(she is spayed...) We had to put a big "zipline"
type run for her because we just can't trust that she won't get out again and she might not be so lucky next time. I hate a dog "tied "up but I'd hate for her to get hurt even more.She does still have most of the depth of the yard to run just not as far from side to side. She didn't seem to mind it too much she can still run, find shelter etc but I am feeling guilty since she used to have free run. She is an in and out dog (dog door) so that will change too and we will have to see when she wants to be brought in.
What could have made her start digging like this at this point in her
"middle age". She is in great health and has always gotten plenty of everything she needs. Anybody got some ideas? We are just puzzled!

with a happy heart

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  04:48:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I don't have any answers as to why she would do this other than I have noticed that if my routines/habits change it can influence my fur-companions behavior.
Are there new animals in your area? I think though that even if you feel bad about keeping her on a line, you are protecting her and yet she can move etc. and if she doesn't seem to mind it, maybe it's okay with her? Does she try to dig anyplace when she is on the line?
Just a few thoughts.
Good luck,
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  12:48:45 PM  Show Profile