YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  05:53:44 AM  Show Profile
Michele you are one busy FarmGirl. I'm in awe of what you do. My sister cans chicken for soup and casseroles. She buys it on sale and if she can't put them up right then she freezes until she has the time.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  05:23:40 AM  Show Profile
I was given 4lbs of cucumbers and sack of yellow onions. I prepped them yesterday and canning bread & butter pickles today. Woke to thunder storms so if the rain stops this morning I'll can pickles in Yellow Rose Cottage but if not I'll fill jars in my kitchen and keep in fridge up to two months.

I'm using recipe from America Text Kitchen DIY cookbook. It calls for cucumbers and onions to be sliced on a mandolin. Haven't sliced veg that thin before for bread & butter pickles but the author says she likes to stack them on sandwiches so I thought that sounded good.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  05:44:36 AM  Show Profile
I love bread and butter pickles

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden

Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  06:01:36 AM  Show Profile
Bread & Butter pickles must be high on everyone's pickle list. Do you think they got their name because people ate them on bread & butter sandwiches. That does sound good.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2019 :  3:22:36 PM  Show Profile
Another Bread & Butter Pickle fan here :) Sometimes I will add a garlic clove and red chili flakes to give it a kick for my husband :)

March: Pomegranate Jelly
Zucchini Salsa with Plums
Strawberry Jam

April: Zucchini Relish
Meyer Lemon & Ginger Marmalade
Bean & Bacon Soup

I am using up frozen zucchini, can you tell? :) I still haven't made the Lemon Curd, I need to work on that this month :)

How is everyone?

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2019 :  3:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sharon you have quite a list of items canned and to be put up. The Zucchini Salsa with Plums sounds interesting. Is it your own recipe or out of a book?

Just put 4 chicken thighs with button mushrooms in crockpot along with fresh parsley, bay leaves, thyme, celery salt and black pepper corns for chicken mushroom broth. Will cook overnight. This is my second batch in a week. The first batch made 5 pints and I kept them in fridge. 1/2 pint is left. This batch to be canned on Sat morning.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2019 :  8:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sharon!! So glad to see you back! Your canning descriptions always make me drool! Still have a peach B-b-que recipe of yours..
From CO to MI!?! So glad you are back!
Sara, I love chicken thighs. So versatile.
I have 3 half gallon canning jars full of pureed tomatoes that my neighbor gave me (frozen tomatoes that she wanted to get rid of to make room for beef). I put through the food mill but now need to do SOMEThING with them lest they go bad. She is always giving me her produce. Which I gladly accept, as I always get busy with work during the gardening season and my good intentions fall by the wayside.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2019 :  03:16:22 AM  Show Profile
hello everyone. We finished cannning maple syrup for the season, last saturday. We got about 14 gallons, in 4 cookings. Enough to keep everyone with syrup for the year. My husband made maple cream yesterday. He said it took forever, so not sure he will do it again. I have made maple sugar. that was pretty easy and turned out well. Used it on curing bacon. I did get my tallow cooked down, but the old hens have not been cooked yet. I need to get going on that as well. I am about out of chicken stock. Good luck with all the canning going on, hope all your jars seal!!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2019 :  06:03:41 AM  Show Profile
Lisa I've tried to like chicken thighs and just don't - prefer chicken breast. Annie gets the thighs.

Micelle I'm always in awe when you talk about making maple syrup and sugar. Yes, the pop - pop of those jar lids is what we like to hear.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2019 :  12:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara, your chicken-mushroom broth sounds so good and flavorful! I found the Zucchini Salsa recipe online and wanted to add some fruit to it. Plums looked the best at the grocer :) I just check the ph level when adjusting recipes to make sure it is safe.

Lisa, 'Hi!" :) It has been such a long time since I visited. What a blessing to get those tomatoes! We were given some last year and i just froze them whole, let thaw and oven-roasted with garlic, onions and herbs, then I ran them thru the food mill. I just froze the soup/bisque. I wonder if you could just roast the puree with herbs, etc. and then can as a soup or bisque?

Michele, wow! Maple sugaring looks like so much work but look at the rewards! Out here the ratio was 30 gallons to 1 gallon and everyone said it was a wonderful year. We have Sugar Maples on our property and are hoping that next year we can try our hand at it. After having surgeries last fall, we weren't up for it this year. But I am really wishing that we had! Have you seen Maple Water at the grocery store? It is usually on the shelf with the kombucha, coconut water, etc. I recently read about someone that does sugaring and they used the maple "water" for their coffee, that sounds good!

Remember girls "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping"

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2019 :  03:35:20 AM  Show Profile
ping ping ping lol love it. Sharon I have not seen maple water in the stores. If that is just sap, it does not have much flavor at all. Our ratio varies with each batch we cook. 28, 27, 21, 24 to one. Lisa hope you got that tomoato juice canned up. Sharon, hope you got all your chicken canned as well. you ladies inspire me to can more. Time to head out to milk. have a great day

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2019 :  4:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Today I pressured canned 4 pints Azufrado - a thin skin white bean from Mexico. All jars sealed which is a very good thing.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2019 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Sara! The Bean Queen!
Michele, I am in awe of all of your syrup. How exciting! I've often thought about tapping the few maples we have, but is it worth it?
I ended up freezing the tomato puree due to time constraints. Got about 8 quart bags with 2 plus cups each. For FREE! The same neighbor gave me about 8 packs of beef soup bones, because she will be getting more with her new beef. She isn't one to want to mess around with the broth, canning etc. So, I see beef vege soup, and beef broth in my future!
Sharon, the PING is the THING.
It's such a comforting sound that says, "Pantry awaits!"
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2019 :  03:12:48 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, up to you if it is worth to tap a few trees. My friend does her yard trees, and she is thrilled to do it. Would be nice if you could cook it down outside. It is a lot of cooking time. Lets say if we do 80 gallons of sap, it takes us 10-12 hours to finish. Rough guess, a lot of variables as we cook with wood. Sara you can alot of beans, how do you use them all? I have quite a few smoked pork hocks in my freezer. Any ideas on how to use them, other then split pea soup?

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2019 :  03:18:48 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, what a gift. Never can have too many soup bones or tomatoes on hand for delicious soups.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2019 :  03:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Michele I eat beans if not every day several times a week. Since I cook for one I usually get two meals out of a pint of beans. Yesterday I had beans leftover so I finished cooking them with EVOO; sage, thyme, green onion, fresh garlic from my garden. When the beans were almost done I added small elbow macaroni and canned tomatoes. I had it for lunch and supper and will finish off today.

Smoked ham hocks are good in beans; cabbage; not only in split pea soup but any kind of bean soup; greens; roasted with vegetables. I have made broth with them to use for cooking greens and in soups.

Mostly I use EVOO to cook with but several times a year I will buy smoked ham hocks.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2019 :  05:21:14 AM  Show Profile
thanks sara for ideas on how to use hocks and beans. I know eating beans is good for you. I finally cooked up chicken yesterday for stock. I will take the fat off this morning, and strain it out and can it.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2019 :  8:32:28 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, what a blessing with the soup bones! I am coveting them! We plan on purchasing some from a local rancher we just found, I am all out of beef stock and am a snob and won't buy it from the store. I should say that I haven't found any without preservatives added.

Michele, that is good to know that the ratio sap to syrup changes dependent on the weather and such. Something we do want to try, maybe next year. I use my hocks for Bean and Ham Soup. I haven't canned it though.

Sara, you are so busy!!!I need to try canning beans soon!

I had to make room in the freezer so I pulled out containers of Chicken Stock and canned them last week. I got 1 dozen quarts. I did lose 1 jar. That is so disheartening to me :( We will be purchasing some beef soup bones soon so I plan on making some Beef Stock with those. I usually can the Beef Stock in pints, most of the recipe I use it for don't call for much.

I was organizing my pantry and found a jar of Apricot-Chipotle Jam I made from 2016. It is so good! I wish that Apricots grew out here but we are so up north! Anyway, it was a nice surprise :)

Happy canning girls :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Apr 28 2019 8:35:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  03:35:00 AM  Show Profile
5 quarts of chicken stock in jars, and 3.5 in the freezer. I will pull them out and can when i get enough for a full canner. I have more chickens to do, sometime.....
Sharon you will have lots of apples available this fall, along with cherries and blueberries, though i wish we had citrus too. I love apricot nector. keep on canning.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2019 :  05:04:01 AM  Show Profile
Sharon and Michele broth is one of my favorite things to can. I do chicken, beef, ox-tail, ham bone, mushroom, vegetable, and corncob. All are good bases for soups and stews.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 01 2019 :  11:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Michele, yay for chicken stock! I have learned about apples and berries :) The first year we moved here my honey made a Cider Press. A neighbor has a multitude of Apple trees, so we all picked, crushed and pressed. We still have some Cider in the freezer. I would like to try making Apple Cider Syrup by cooking it down and then canning it, but I want to make sure that we have enough cider to drink until next harvest.

Sara, I am so thankful to be able to can stock/broth. I'm getting ready to place an order for beef soup bones today :)

Things I hope to accomplish this month:

~Red Onion Jam
~Carrot Cake Jam
~Beef Stock

I also am trying to come up with a recipe for Barbecue Sauce. I am toying with the idea of using Apple Cider and a smoky taste. We are able to purchase a locally made sauce that is similar but I would rather make my own (even though it has no preservatives).

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - May 01 2019 :  5:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Reading through the posts and decided to find out about bread and butter pickles.
This is what Wikipedia had to say.

Bread-and-butter pickles are a marinated pickle produced with sliced cucumbers in a solution of vinegar, sugar and spices which may be processed either by canning or simply chilled as refrigerator pickles. The origin of the name and the spread of their popularity in the United States is attributed to Omar and Cora Fanning, a pair of Illinois cucumber farmers who started selling sweet and sour pickles in the 1920s and filed for the trademark "Fanning's Bread and Butter Pickles" in 1923 (though the recipe and similar ones are probably much older). The story attached to the name is that the Fannings survived rough years by making the pickles with their surplus of undersized cucumbers and bartering them with their grocer for staples such as bread and butter.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 01 2019 5:41:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 01 2019 :  7:47:10 PM  Show Profile
That's pretty neat Denise! I never knew that! I like them even more now :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Krissel
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Vicki
Sebring FLORIDA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 01 2019 :  7:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Krissel a Yahoo! Message
Good information to know! Thanks Denise for the research! I love bread and butter pickles! Even more now! You guys are so inspiring!

Farmgirl#7588
Laughter makes the heart strong!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 01 2019 :  8:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Denise! I love making b&b pickles!

Not canning much lately! I did break out the dehydrator though. Dried porcine mushrooms that were on sale.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page