windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  03:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I canned up peaches I ordered. Boy are they good ones this year. So sweet. I also picked the few grapes I have. I will make some jam out of them. I don't have enough to do any juice with them. I have pears sitting here ripening, and tomatoes are starting to come on. there is more canning in my future.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  03:52:17 AM  Show Profile
sharon, I wish I could remember where I had found the instructions. I have a steam juice pot that i use. That gives you almost all juice, then i can it is pint jars. Or cook the apples down with water, and strain out. To use, again no measurements, sorry, I maybe put equal or a bit more fruit to crab apple juice in a pot. Get it boiling and add sugar, to taste. Then you have to cook it to jelling point. Letting it drip off a spoon, you know. It takes a bit longer, and sometimes i stop cooking too soon, and it does not get real firm, but that is ok too. then it goes on ice cream. lol I will look for the actual instructions and let you know.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  05:50:17 AM  Show Profile
Michele your peaches will be so good this winter. Gotta make a cobbler or two.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9233 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9233 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  06:32:35 AM  Show Profile
I don't do too much canning anymore with just two of us here. But I do still do some things. Jams, jellies and I freeze a lot of things too.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  07:30:03 AM  Show Profile
The crab apple pectin recipe: chop crab apples in half and put skins cores and all into pot. 1 cup water for 3 cups apples roughly. Stew till they disintegrate 1 -2 hours. Stir mixture, it should be liquid like a cream soup. add water if necessary and cook a little longer to mix it in. Layer 3 layers of cheesecloth, or use jelly bag and let apples hang to drip 3-4 hours or overnight. Do not press or squeeze. This is apple syrup unsweetened. To sweeten add 1 cup white sugar or 3/4 cup honey to 2 cups of syrup. Simmer till mixed. Use on desserts, pancakes or use to make apple jelly.
to use as pectin, use equal amounts of crab apple juice to other fruit for a jelly. For jam use 1 part crab apple to 3 parts fruit. add sugar to taste for jams and jellys.
You can freeze or can the juice. this is from an old cookbook, Country Kitchen by Susan Restino Times for hot water bath would be like any other jelly or jam . She gives no time.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2019 :  07:30:53 AM  Show Profile
grape jam is done, got 5 and 3/4 jelly jars. yumm.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2019 :  03:55:37 AM  Show Profile
6.4 pints of tomato sauce canned. Picked elderberries last night. My ma will juice and can them for us both. We pick, she cans, a good trade. Will go and look for more tonight. Last night was a good picking.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2019 :  06:23:36 AM  Show Profile
Michele good job on the grape jam and tomato sauce. Elderberries do make the best jelly. Knew an elderly woman who was known for her elderberry jelly and she never told anyone where she picked the berries. As for as I know she took her secret to her grave.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2019 :  03:12:13 AM  Show Profile
elderberries like to have their feet wet, or damp from what I hear. We have some around a rock pile in a field, and then we know a few roads that have them in the ditches. This year they are not as plentiful. tonight we will freeze corn. I checked last night and it is ripe. Also corn on the cob for supper!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2019 :  7:49:41 PM  Show Profile
The list is long of canning successes for the month.
More green beans than I can count
26 pints canned sweet corn
39 pints sweet corn frozen
30 qts dill pickles
15 jelly jars corn relish
8 pints pickled beets
10 jelly jars sweet pickle relish
30 pints peaches
8 qts. Spaghetti sauce
8 pints salsa
Tomorrow I have lots of tomatoes to can and than I am hoping to have a little break to get the kitchen deep cleaned, it sure needs it.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Aug 30 2019 7:50:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  04:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Julie I am in awe of what all you have put up. Well done! I know you will be happy when the tomatoes are done - they look so pretty in Mason jars.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2019 :  5:25:07 PM  Show Profile
pop pop pop goes all the canning jars. Just checked for blackberries, not many around this year. Still working on cooning elderberries.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  7:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Sara I enjoy my garden and canning. I sure like knowing where our food has come from and what is in it. The savings on the grocery bill is a huge plus as well. I did 7 qts. Of vegetable soup mix today, always a nice dinner to have in the pantry.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  03:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Julie what veggies do you use for your soup mix? 7 qts - good job!

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2283 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2283 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  08:10:48 AM  Show Profile
I use beets, green beans, onions, carrots, a couple sprigs of fresh dill and a tsp. of salt. Pressure canned for 30 minutes at 10 lbs. of pressure. When I want fresh soup I put soup bones in my slow cooker overnight, take out the next morning and cool to remove the yummy meat. Skim the fat off the broth in the slow cooker, throw the meat back in the rich broth, add the soup mixture, a couple of beef boullion cubes, a couple of potatoes, a can of tomato soup and if I need to stretch it for extras at our table a handful or two of rice or barley. I usually start a loaf of french bread when I am making soup as it pairs so well with it. If you have any leftover veggies in the fridge, just toss them in as well. My husband just brought in the fencing bucket full of wild plums from he pasture, so looks like plum jelly and pancake syrup are on today's list. We were out of pancake syrup so we will be happy to have that back on the shelf.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  09:16:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie, I've never had beets in vegetable soup - may give it a try. I like learning from my FarmGirl sisters. I have made beet borsch and like it with sour cream.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  1:15:44 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, sorry to hear about your garden :( That is frustrating!

Judith, did you get to pickle some beets? I was able to find some local beets at $1/#. So I purchased a bunch, roasted them and froze in quarts. I do this with winter squash too :)

Michele, thank you so much for the instructions for the Crabapple Pectin. I was hoping that our Crabapples would do better but the Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and Bald-Faced Hornets got to the tree and caused quite a bit of damage. A friend offered us some Concord grapes when they are ripe so I am hoping to make jam also and depending on the yield, possibly some juice too. Thanks for the tips on Elderberries too, my goal is to plant some next year.

Julie, you are making me tired! :) You are one busy girl! How nice to have the pantry filled with home-canned goodies. Such a feeling of security especially knowing the ingredients, all of the love put into those jars.

So, for August:

~Sour Cherry Jam
~Cherry-Habanero Mustard (need to tweak this recipe, it's not as thick as I think it should be but I can use it for a glaze on meats or as an ingredient for salad dressing)
~Wild Raspberry Jam
~Thimbleberry Jam
~Blueberry Pie Filling
~Hot Sauce

So far for September:

~12 pints of Elderberry Syrup/extract (made from dried elderberries)
~19 pints of Apple Butter (I didn't think I picked that many apples :) I think we will be set for a couple of years :)

On the list:

More Red Onion Jam

I'm not sure when Grapes will be ready here but we are hoping to make Jam. In October there is a cranberry festival in WI so I plan on getting a lot this year and making Cranberry Sauce and Cranberry Juice. And whenever the other apples are ready we will be making Apple Cider :)

You girls are awesome!!!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  1:51:15 PM  Show Profile
You gals sure have been busy. We went to Apple Hill yesterday and a box of apples followed me home. The beets are waiting to be dug and pickled. This year I got smart and ordered a apple peeler from Amazon; hope it works good because these hands are getting too arthritic to peel for very long. However nothing will get done until my husband makes a path in the garage so I can get my canning jars out of the cupboard he piled stuff in front of. Love the man dearly but he can fill up a space with clutter faster than any twister I've ever seen.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Sep 06 2019 1:52:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  03:14:24 AM  Show Profile
Out in my Yellow Rose Cottage a little after 3 this morning to can first batch of pear butter. Here's my tale of woe. I let the pear butter burn on the bottom when I went into the house for my hot tea. Knew better to leave it unattended on the hotplate but I did it anyway. I managed to save enough pear butter for three 1/2 pint jars.

Hopefully the second batch will go better in the morning. I'll have to remember to fix my tea before I go to the cottage.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  1:48:17 PM  Show Profile
oh darn it Sara, that happens sometimes. glad you could salvage some of your pear butter. I have little potatoes boiling on the stove right now. I am canning 7 pints. I dug potatoes today, so wanted to can some right away. I good way to use the small ones. Judith I have had an apple peeler for years. I love it. Makes fast work of peeling and coring. I did can up 2 gallons of elderberry juice on Saturday, and 2.5 pints of tomato sauce. Tomatoes are not doing a thing this year and now the deer ate them off. So doing little bits now and again. I have one basket left of tomatoes. Happy canning.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  1:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Michele, little potatoes straight from being dug to canning has got to be a treat. Great job on the elderberry juice. Sorry your tomatoes aren't making a bunch and to top it off the deer aren't helping.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  7:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Judith, that will help a lot! The only problem I found with a peeler was when it came to apples not perfectly shaped but the peeler is definitely easier on the hands.

Oh no Sara! I did that one year with Plums! I hope your next batch comes out great!

Michele, wow! Two gallons of Elderberry juice! I long for the day when I can pick my own. That stinks about the tomatoes, it has been a strange year here for gardening. Glad you have potatoes though :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  9:12:30 PM  Show Profile
This is my fourth year canning and each year I venture out and do more varieties:
Apple Butter
Apple Sauce
Apricot Sauce
BBQ Sauce
Blueberry Jam
Bruschetta
Cowboy Candy
Fruit Cocktail
Grape Juice Jelly
Marinara Sauce
Orange Marmalade
Peach Chutney
Peach Slices
Pepper Jelly
Salsa
Salsa Verde
Sweet & Sour Sauce

I still have tackle pressure canning, which is on my to-do-list for this fall.

Sara, pear butter sounds wonderful, how did your second batch go?

Judith, I hope you love your apple peeler as much as I love mine.

Julie and Sharon, you have been very busy this summer.

Jana
MJF #7110

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  04:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Jana your list of canning is quite impressive - way to go.

My second batch of pear butter is cooling on kitchen counter. I was through canning by 6:10 a.m. Made 3 half pints and 1 4oz jar. Didn't get up until a little before 5 so it all went smoothly. Left the Yellow Rose Cottage tidy for the next time I'm canning.

Thanks all for sweet words about my first batch.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  07:04:41 AM  Show Profile
This morning I'm making mushroom broth to can later this week. In the pot fresh portabellas, my home dried button mushrooms, dried sh**akes from Amazon, 1 onion, garlic, fresh bay leaf, fresh Syrian oregano. and fresh lemon thyme. Mushroom broth is so good in winter soups, stews, and sauces.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page