Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2019 :  4:40:04 PM  Show Profile
Michele, thank you!!! We are getting ready to can some Cider :) My husband built a chopper/grinder and a cider press a couple of years ago (even thought we only have 2 trees :) One of our neighbors has many apple trees and last year we picked and pressed and yielded 8 gallons. This year we ended up with 30 gallons! So we split the harvest. Some gallons are in the freezer (want to try making Cider Syrup or Apple Molasses as some call it this winter), we are gifting a few gallons and the rest I am getting ready to can. Whew! It took us 5 hours to sort, clean, crush and press but it was such a good feeling :)

Sara, I have never heard of that! That must have been so disappointing to find your jars spoiled :( Good for you on the Lima beans, I love them and often make a succotash.

Connie, where are you moving to? I was wondering why I haven't seen any canning post from you:)

Judith, it is neat to see the different shades of colors that the apples produce :)

So, I am getting ready to can 5 gallons of Apple Cider and that will be it until grapes are ready. Onto Sauna tonight after canning :)

Have a blessed evening and rest of the weekend girls :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  02:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sharon,

I'm not sure where we are moving. I believe it's either Saratoga NY or western NC. Trying to decide, but its not easy. I'd like to avoid the cold NY winters, but also don't know whether the summers will be too hot in NC. Either way we want a mountain view and some acreage with privacy. (We have a neighbor from hell over here). I can't wait to get canning again. I love reading about all the things you are all canning. I'd love to get an old house with a large walk in pantry. We'll see, as those are hard to come by.

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden

Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  04:53:17 AM  Show Profile
sharon, nice harvest on cider. 5 hours might seem like alot, but you sure got the gallons. I think it goes pretty quickly. And if you have many hands helping, makes it more fun. Hope you like it canned. If the apples are nice and sweet you just pop a jar open and drink it. Yum.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  05:55:21 AM  Show Profile
Sharon great job on 5 gals of apple cider.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2019 :  6:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I understand the cold. It gets very cold here last year we got down to -40. If you don't have to go anywhere it's fine. And of course the right clothing makes a difference too :) We do love it here in the UP of Michigan and am thankful to have moved here. Have you considered out west? Just thinking of less cold. We were hoping to get a farmhouse with a nice pantry when we decided to move. I do have a decent size pantry but it is stocked with home canned goods (and that is getting tiring having to shuffle boxes around to get to something) so my honey will be making a nice pantry for me in our basement :)

Michele, thanks! We were so excited! It was a bit of work but we are so thankful :) It does go quicker when there are more hands.

Sara, thank you! :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2019 :  05:17:54 AM  Show Profile
This morning I'm pressure canning 4 pints of Eye of the Goat dried heirloom beans. I just love that name.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2019 :  10:27:52 AM  Show Profile
Sara -- I love that name too! What do they look like? Goat eyes?
I canned eight pints of applesauce. Far different from the days the I would aim for fifty quarts of everything to feed the growing family. Still have to do the beets -- next week after I get DH's archery tournaments out of the way.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2019 :  10:40:20 AM  Show Profile
Ooh Sara,
Rancho Gordo beans? I ordered from them after you mentioned them. Love their beans, so fresh and tasty.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends.
Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2019 :  12:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Nancy so glad you like them. They are good beans. The beans I canned today were from Rancho Gordo.

Judith they don't look like eyes to me but do have pretty markings. Good job on the applesauce. The only way I have canned beets is to pickle them. The recipe I use calls for roasting the beets instead of boiling. I really like them roasted before pickling.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2019 :  1:37:12 PM  Show Profile
This morning I pressured canned 4 pints Lila beans. All sealed.

Tomorrow it's French green lentil soup. Will use split pea soup recipe with my choice of herbs. I've canned split pea soup and like it. Should buy another pkg of split peas and do it again.

Edited by - YellowRose on Oct 07 2019 1:52:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  06:34:49 AM  Show Profile
This morning I pressured canned 4 pints veg broth. I cooked and strained it yesterday so it was ready to can this morning. I've canned veg broth before but this is the first time I used cooking directions from "Mrs Wheelbarrow Pantry" cookbook. Called for simmering for 2 hours covered then 2 hours un-covered. The broth is rich with deep flavor so much better than cooking time in Ball Blue Book. I used what fresh and dried veg I had on hand along with fresh herbs. Will be so good in winter soups & stews.

Edited to say: I was wrong about time in Ball Blue Book - it's the same as other cookbook. I always just cooked it for just 2 hours. Guess I should start making attention to cooking times.

Edited by - YellowRose on Oct 10 2019 07:28:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2019 :  08:52:56 AM  Show Profile
This morning I pressured canned 4 pints Christmas lima dried beans with chopped Bar-B-Q pork ribs.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2019 :  03:01:50 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you got that canner working OT. lol I am done with the garden stuff for the season. I will need to get back to doing broth at some point. I am intrigued at your canning soup. That would be a great idea for me to do.

Farming in WI

Michele

Farmgirl of the Month 6-19
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2019 :  05:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Michele so far I have pressured canned split pea & lentil soup; and chili. In the coming months I would like to find recipes for canning vegetable soup and beef veg soup.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2019 :  2:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Judith, beets and applesauce sound perfect. I hope to get more beets next year.

Michele, I am sure it feels good to put the garden to rest. Soups on hand are perfect anytime and are great for gifting too.

Sara, you are the Bean Queen :) You are also one busy girl :) Beans and soup are great to have on hand. Last year I made a Bean and Bacon Soup and it is a Keeper. Next time I can it, it will be in Pint jars instead of quarts.

So, this month has been:

~Two batches of Concord Grape Jelly
~14 Quarts of Concord Grape Juice
~3 batches of Cranberry Sauce
~24 Quarts of Cranberry Juice

I went overboard on purchasing cranberries. I accidentally bought 27 pounds. There wasn't a scale near the berries and it was crowded so I didn't want to travel back and forth through the produce department :) So, I also ended up freezing 6 pounds. Then I boiled some vinegar with a small amount of sugar added some more cranberries and let it simmer. I then strained it and bottled it. I thought it would be nice to use for salad dressings :)

I am taking a break now, probably until January (who knows, probably not) when I will start working on soups, beans and marmalades :) Need to build some shelves :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  03:25:52 AM  Show Profile
Phew the canning season sounds like it is winding down. It is a good thing to be able to sit back and enjoy all the hard work. Sara I can picture you out in your cottage, canning away! Sharon, wow nice haul on the cranberries. I did not get any this year. I did a few years ago and really enjoy making/eating sauce. How did you make your juice?

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  05:35:41 AM  Show Profile
I can picture Sara in her cottage too :)

Michele, I wasn't able to make it to the cranberry festival so I picked up the cranberries at a grocer in WI for $1.59/lb. I have never seen the price that low.

My mom always made grape juice using the method in the following link. I have used the recipe for other berries and cherries too with good success. Granted it is not thick, it is still tasty (once it steeps for at least a couple of months) and I can control sugar :)

https://drakefarmdream.com/2016/08/17/concord-grape-juice-recipe-grandmas-way/

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  3:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Sharon I can vouch for your juice recipe; I made some grape juice that way per your recipe a while ago.
Did not do a garden this year, but got cases of tomatoes from the Amish at $5 each and canned whole, pieces, and puree.
This weekend, canning dried beans, but not nearly as much as Sara, the Mary Janes Farm Bean Queen!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  4:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I think you're like having jars of dried beans in your pantry. I opened a jar today to have with a baked potato. So easy and good. My canning is shut down until it stops raining. Can't complain we need the rain more than I need to can.

Should be clear on Sunday morning so I hope to be canning dried royal Corona. It's a large white lima heirloom bean from Italy now farmed in California. Next on the list is another lb of royal Corona; Christmas lima; and split pea soup. I have 5 lb of red kidney beans that were given me to work on too.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  5:13:47 PM  Show Profile
I have a question. My sister has a pass to go to the Campbell Soup store at the Paris plant. It was set up for the manager of the store to send me their e-mail sale list. I got the first one today and a lot of 4 lb bags of frozen soups are on sale. There is no way I want to eat that much soup over days. So, can I defrost the 4 lbs of soup and pressure can in pints? The soup is on sale for $4 so it would be a savings for me.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  5:18:06 PM  Show Profile
I see no reason why not. Not familiar with their frozen soups, but I can stuff out of my freezer all the time. Just heat it, and put in pints like you always do. Sounds like a bargain!!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  5:18:48 PM  Show Profile
You could also add some of your own goodies if you choose (herbs, BEANS LOL etc)
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  5:33:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lisa. I remembered wrong - it's $3 a bag which is a better deal. You're right I do like to add this or that fresh herb or a dash of Tabasco sauce.

The soups sound like the ones you have in cafes/restaurants like tequila spiked fiesta chicken. Have I been paying $$ for frozen soup? Well at least I don't have to do the dishes.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2134 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2134 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  9:45:36 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like a great deal. You can defrost it and process it in pint jars.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  03:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sharon for the recipe. I have made one like that before with my grapes. Though you fill the jar up with grapes, but regardless, simple and easy. I never thought about doing it with cranberries. We did try pressing some once but the yield was very small. They are kind of dry. My husband drinks alot of cranberry juice, so would be a good thing to try. We do have a marsh 15 miles away, I would have to check and see if they are still selling or not. good luck with the soups Sara. I agree with everyone can those frozen soups up, be just like canning your homemade ones.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page