StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  6:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn -- I've also been experimenting with lo-carb cooking and artificial sweeteners. It's really hit and miss. I found that erythritol is good in a lot of recipes but when I made tapioca pudding with it the pudding didn't set up. Splenda shouldn't be used over 350 degrees. As far as jam goes, the sugar helps to set it up along with the pectin. That's why you can make jelly without pectin with some fruits. Stevia does have a bitter taste; I don't use it at all. If jam or jelly doesn't set up it can be used for a great syrup on waffles and pancakes. Xylotol is poisonous to dogs but I believe Erythritol is safe for them; you might want to give your vet a call and verify. All things considered with my experiments so far make the erythritol/monk fruit my favorite.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

MtnMamaKt
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kathryn
Igo CA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 08 2020 :  6:49:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by StitchinWitch

Kathryn -- I've also been experimenting with lo-carb cooking and artificial sweeteners. It's really hit and miss. I found that erythritol is good in a lot of recipes but when I made tapioca pudding with it the pudding didn't set up. Splenda shouldn't be used over 350 degrees. As far as jam goes, the sugar helps to set it up along with the pectin. That's why you can make jelly without pectin with some fruits. Stevia does have a bitter taste; I don't use it at all. If jam or jelly doesn't set up it can be used for a great syrup on waffles and pancakes. Xylotol is poisonous to dogs but I believe Erythritol is safe for them; you might want to give your vet a call and verify. All things considered with my experiments so far make the erythritol/monk fruit my favorite.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade

Judith, you're right! I knew I should look it up prior to posting #129318;#8205;#9792;#65039; thank you for the info! We have a lot of dandelions and other edible flowers, so maybe I'll try something else. Lol.

~Peace, Love and Compassion~
MountainMama Katie
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  03:08:12 AM  Show Profile
I don't know anything about the different sweetener substitutes. But when I make jam or jelly with crab apple pectin, I sweeten to taste as I am cooking it. I use less sugar in a recipe that way.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - May 09 2020 :  11:59:41 AM  Show Profile
My sister made dandelion wine.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  1:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Got 10 quarts of chicken stock canned up today. Have a couple old hens left to cook. Will get at it this week, as I want to be done and take a break from canning. lol Got 12 quarts and 24 pints of beans done now. Should be set for a while on beans and stock.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  1:13:29 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, good job on the stock and beans. Both are so handy to have in pantry.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  5:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara. Been a cold weekend here. Had snow on the ground this morning. Thankfully it all melted. Hoping it warms up to get the hay fields and pastures growing.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 10 2020 :  5:22:44 PM  Show Profile
I forget it's still winter in some parts of the country. Hot plate was due today but looks like the USPS may have lost another one. I hope it's just running late.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  08:25:39 AM  Show Profile
Well I’ve got a lot of catching up to do! You girls have been busy in your kitchens!

First I want to welcome Kathryn. I’m afraid I haven’t looked at that recipe so I can’t offer you any help, but I would be interested in what you learn. I also collect recipes using no-carb sweeteners. It seems like the sweetener wouldn’t matter as long as you have a thickener, which your pectin is. Have you ever looked for sugar substitute jam recipes online? You may find one where you can just sub in the dandelion.

Michele, did you put up your own crab apple juice? Could you share a recipe? I have instructions for making pectin from apple cores but the fall is so busy I’ve never tried it. Maybe I could freeze cores to make it in late winter?

I have 6 pints of cherries from my tree on my counter. I can them with the pits in for ease, and my grandkids love to eat a jar together, spitting pits into a bowl.

I also made 6 pints of beet greens last week, but they lost a lot of the liquid so I’m having to use them up instead of storing. That was my first attempt at greens. I will definitely take another shot at it later; I like the idea of greens to fill the empty spaces in winter.

Sara, so sorry about your temporary furlough! What a bad time to need something shipped ASAP. I hope it shows up on your doorstep unexpectedly soon.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 11 2020 :  09:09:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara, good to see you again. I haven't canned any greens but I do keep dried greens on hand for soup.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  09:07:24 AM  Show Profile
Seems like tracking is now saying hotplate may arrive on the 15th. Not holding my breath till then. Did order a hotplate from QVC yesterday so if the one from Amazon does show up I will have a backup and I'm learning backups are a good thing.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 13 2020 :  08:48:34 AM  Show Profile
A rainy spell and all your posts inspired me to put up 7 quarts of my Bingo beans.

This batch was one of my most successful but I’m still perplexed by some things and wondering if that’s just how canners work or if mine is somehow faulty so I’d like to compare notes with you all.

When I run batches for over an hour I always end up with almost no water left in the canner. I’ve triple checked my manual about the amount to start with and I’ve added an extra cup or more sometimes to offset loss. But by the last part of the timing I can hear a change in the sounds coming from the canner and I know I’m almost running dry. That’s not right, is it? This time I measured out about 2 1/2 cups of fluid remaining of the 2 1/2 quarts I started with, and I can tell by the color of that liquid and the extra 1 inch of headroom in my jars that the majority of it came from out of the jars!

Can you help? Do I need a new gasket? A new canner?
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - May 13 2020 :  09:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Sara, in Ohio you can take your canner to the county extension and they will test it for you. But it does sound like a gasket to me. See if your extension offers the service, although right now, who knows?
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 14 2020 :  08:08:15 AM  Show Profile
That’s good to know. I think I’ll just order a new gasket and see if that helps.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 15 2020 :  1:34:41 PM  Show Profile
Hotplate from QVC came today but the one from Amazon did not. I guess it's really lost. Rain forecast for tomorrow so I am hoping to start canning cranberry beans Monday morning. Beans and broth on the agenda for next week.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 18 2020 :  07:36:13 AM  Show Profile
I changed up my canning plans. Made mushroom broth yesterday so canning it today. Cranberry beans tomorrow & Wed.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 18 2020 :  3:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone my computer went down. Husband ordered a new hard drive hopefully he can get stuff off my old one. Had not backed it up for a while. Got the last 5 quarts of chicken stock in the canned now. Glad to be done. Will put 3 containers in the freezer as well . I will post my pectin recipe once my computer is going. I think I may have already done it on this canning thread but would take some looking back. I use crab apples. Next up rhubarb jam.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 19 2020 :  07:02:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm always impressed by you FarmGirls who put up chicken broth in quarts. Today it's 4 pints of chicken broth. Beans keep getting push aside because they will keep for another time. Cooked Annie's chicken thighs yesterday and since I am making bean soup with ham bone broth this week I needed to can the chicken broth. Just enough for the four pints I need to fill my little pressure canner.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - May 19 2020 :  07:10:15 AM  Show Profile
Michele we've been having connection issues. The phone is still down, 9 days later. customer help literally no longer exists for the cable company. Sara I love to can cases of broth to use for various recipes later on.

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden

Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 20 2020 :  03:56:36 AM  Show Profile
I made rhubarb jam last night. Got 5 jelly jars canned. Calling it good enough for a while. Till garden starts coming in. Lol. I hope to finish planting that tonight.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 20 2020 :  04:18:25 AM  Show Profile
Michelle your jam sounds yummy.

Canning cranberry beans this morning - they are in the pressure canner as I type.

I may have beets coming my way. My sister Betty's step-granddaughter's grandmother got 75 lbs beets from food pantry. Stephanie shared with Betty and what Betty doesn't want she will give to me. I hope to have enough for 4 jars of pickled beets. If not roasted beets for supper will be nice.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 20 2020 :  5:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Happy canning everyone.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 20 2020 :  5:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Sara M. Found the recipe for Crab Apple pectin. Page 27 of this thread.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 21 2020 :  06:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Canning last 3 pints of cranberry beans and 1 pint mixed beans. I keep a jar of mixed beans. As I open a bag of beans if I think of it I put about a Tbsp in the jar. Good for bean soup and for making up a pint to have a 4 pint batch.

Betty brought the beets by yesterday. They are small - some the size of large paper-shell pecans - others the size of large eggs. Good sizes for pickling. I washed them last night and will roast today. Hope to start canning tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 21 2020 :  4:04:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic