GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2022 :  04:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
It will be nice Michele, the Daikon is new for me, so anxious to try it.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2022 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile
How do you plan to use the daikon Gail?

I’ve been up to my eyeballs in green beans for a month now and I’ve canned 88 pints plus 6 qts so far. I’m seeing the end of them as days grow cooler, so I’d like to put up the last of the big harvests. Anyone have different canning recipes for green beans they’d like to share?
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2022 :  09:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I pickled the Daikon with carrots, sweet onion, garlic and a little horseradish. Used a brine of water, sugar and apple cider vinegar. Not sure, I think I will serve it with pickles or use for toppings on sandwiches and hamburgers, hot dogs too. Plan to test next week, I will let you know.
That is lots of green beans, I don't can them, but I sure take advantage during the growing season for fresh!

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2022 :  1:49:05 PM  Show Profile
I started growing large quantities because my grandkids love Dilly Beans. Then they discovered that they also love canned green beans, especially as toddlers and new eaters. Then I tried a recipe for Spanish beans which includes tomatoes and celery and herbs, which turned out to make a delicious quick dinner when stirred into a pan of cooked ground beef. So those are my three go-to recipes. I tried bacon beans once but I wasn’t thrilled with the soggy bacon.

The pickled daikon sounds tasty!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2022 :  9:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Well yesterday I picked the last flush of beans on my vines and brought in 30 pounds of Rattlesnake and Kentucky Blue pole beans! After sorting perfect, young beans from more developed pods I had about 15 pounds of each. The larger ones went to the local food closet ( both these varieties remain tender and delicious even up to 6 inches long with good irrigation) where they disappeared quickly, and the other 15 pounds went into 14 pints of Dilly beans, 7 quarts garlic beans, and around 3 pounds fresh still to share with family. I’m pretty sure I’m done canning green beans for 2022!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2022 :  02:14:09 AM  Show Profile
What a great job on canning all those beans. The kids will love them this winter. Always nice to have the jars on the canning shelf and be done for the year. I canned a round steak, with potatoes, carrots and onions. Hope this will be a nice quick meal. Have not tried it yet though.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2022 :  11:14:26 AM  Show Profile
I used to can dilly beans too, and lots of corn relish. Son in law loved the dilly beans and the father of one of my daughters friend asked me if I would make him some corn relish if he gave me the corn. I said yes. The next day a pickup truck full of corn arrived. He was happy with a dozen jars of corn relish and we ate corn for a year and dried some of the husks for tamales. Those were such happy busy days.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2022 :  10:11:55 AM  Show Profile
Judith that’s a crazy story! What a blessing and so much work at the same time!
I just finished 8 pints of creamed corn, my first time canning corn. Still finding it on the cob at the grocery store.
Michele, my next goal is to try some meat. I have over 25# of pork trim from my last years’ hog. I like to make sausage but didn’t do too much this year. I’m going to try canning it before my current hog meets the freezer. Do you have a recipe to recommend?
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2022 :  02:37:21 AM  Show Profile
Sara I don't have a recipe to recommend. We will be grinding our first sausage and adding spices this fall. Usually we have the butcher shop do it. I have found a couple recipes on pinterest to try. I did can some already made sausage this year, to see if we liked it. Fried it most of the way through, and put in jars. It worked out to use for pizza or breakfast what ever. You can also partially fry patties and put in jars.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2022 :  1:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I've never done creamed corn. I remember loving that as a kid. What does it entail?
I have been canning more tomatoes, liver and onions (you either love it or hate it LOL), monkey butter and dry pack potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2022 :  12:36:09 PM  Show Profile
I have 5.5 lbs of pork trim cut up and in the canner. It fit perfectly into three quarts. I did cold pack without liquid. I hope that’s good, I found a homestead blog that recommended this process.

Michele, I have The Sausage Cookbook Bible to turn to for sausage seasonings. My one word of advice is that the storage life of home ground sausage is only a few months. Once I’ve opened the butcher’s wrapping, defrosted to cut and handle, then rewrapped for frozen sausage the fat tends to turn old and throw off the flavor. So I need other ways of making sausage but storing it well. Canning may be an idea.
Michele, the difference between canned cut corn and canned creamed corn is in scraping the cobs into the cut corn. My critique is that it then requires an hour and a half to process. I feel like it came out kind of brown, like over cooked corn so I hope I like it.
I grew up on liver and onions and it’s still a favorite of my mother’s. I’m going to admit that I never really became a fan, but I can certainly eat it. Never would have thought to can it! Maybe I’ll do some for Mom!
I don’t know monkey butter.
Potatoes is my next project! Why do you choose dry pack?

Sara
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2022 :  03:11:52 AM  Show Profile
There are so many ways that people can items. I have found trying a small amount to see if we like it. If it passes, then do more. Good luck.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2022 :  06:44:41 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading and keeping up with what all y'all are canning. I have even learned a new trick or two. I haven't felt up to canning but hope to be back in my Yellow Rose Cottage soon. I have pounds of heirloom beans to put up. Also, a bag of sweet potatoes.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2022 :  08:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Sara! So glad to hear from you! I was worried there was a problem. I send prayers for strength and wellness your way!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2022 :  08:33:11 AM  Show Profile
Ladies this is my first attempt at cold pack pork. I think there is too much headspace for safe storage. Do you agree?
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2022 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
If it is well sealed, it is fine. Meat shrinks down when canned.
That's how my liver and onions is too, as well as my dry packed potatoes.
I've canned venison that way also, and it was always fine. Don't worry if you open it and find a bit of discoloring on the top, that is also normal.
I have joined a FB group called Rebel Canners. I have learned so MUCH!
There motto is "Welcome to the Dark Side, My Kitchen My Rules"
Many can like their grandparents did. I do what I am comfortable with, as should everyone else. But generations before us lived without all of the rules and regulations.
And I don't condone this, BUT, one guy said he opened up a jar of ground beef that he found from 1973, smelled it, it smelled fine, so he made sloppy joes with it!!! LOL
BTW, monkey butter is banana, pineapple, coconut, vanilla, and brown sugar. Great on toast, waffles, ice cream etc.

Edited by - nubidane on Nov 05 2022 09:50:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2022 :  11:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Wow Lisa thanks for that encouragement! I lean so hard on the manuals that all I think is rules! caution!danger!
I love the description of the FB group! It would be a kick just to follow them! Almost makes me want to join the dark side of social media lol!
And monkey butter!! You’ve got to be kidding me! Please send me your recipe so I can make it for my grandkids!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2022 :  03:27:06 AM  Show Profile
Lisa I am on Rebel Canners as well. I love burrito in a jar. lol Interesting to see all people can. Some things I do, some things I would not do. But it is your kitchen your rules, so if it works for you that is great. Sara meat does compact during canning. I try to make sure meat is packed down pretty good. With two of us, I usually do pints. You can easily get a pound of hamburger or sausage in a pint jar. Sara thinking of you.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2022 :  06:40:38 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
Go on and join the group! One thing I really appreciate is that if someone has a question, there are SO many people that are willing to help. Some of thier pantries are to die for!
Also, I forgot to answer about the dry pack potatoes. They hold their texture better. I opened a quart, rinsed, seasoned and put in the air fryer. SO crispy! Some folks dry pack carrots for the same reason, not mushy.
Here is the monkey butter recipe I used (courtesy of someone on Rebel Canners)
5 bananas
1/2 cup coconut
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple
1 t vanilla
Cook on low in non stick pan until thick.
Water bath for 10 minutes.
The recipe made 4 half pints; it would probably have been 5, but hubs and I sampled quite a bit along the way!
Good luck!!!
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1121 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1121 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2022 :  10:10:47 AM  Show Profile
I’m not a canner, YET, planning to try next summer and have been following all of your posts. The Monkey Butter sounds delicious though, so may try that soon.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2022 :  12:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Wanda, you can make the monkey butter and keep in the fridge too.
Michele, I saw the burrito in a jar, and also saw how some of the victims of the hurricane in FL were reaping the benefits of that very thing. How do you do yours?
And Sara, (yellow rose), glad to see you here. Take care sister!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2022 :  03:25:03 AM  Show Profile
Lisa I followed directions for burrito in a jar that someone had wrote down. Beans, rice, hamburger, onion, greenpepper and spices. I think it was beef stock added. I did precook the hamburger almost all the way. Pressure canning it.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2022 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile
I knew the day would come that I would no longer be able to can in my Yellow Rose Cottage and today is that day. I moved my electric pressure canner into my kitchen and put it on a little table next to my stove. My kitchen is now set up so I will be able to can when I am ready. I'm a little sad because I really liked canning in my YRC for the last ten years and the peace I felt when I was out there. My slow cooker, dehydrator, and electric water bath canner will remain in the YRC so I will be out there from time to time.

Seasons of our lives come and go and it's up to us to make the best of the changes.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2022 :  11:22:32 AM  Show Profile
Hugs Sara -- Sorry about having to move your pressure cooker to the kitchen. I know what you mean about the seasons coming and going; it's just that they seem to be going too fast.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2022 :  11:39:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Judith, for the hugs, never can have too many hugs.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page