YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2016 :  04:48:44 AM  Show Profile
One more question about rye bread on top of fermenting pickles. Will the preservatives in store bought bread interfere with fermentation? Would home baked bread be better even if it wasn't rye?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2016 :  12:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sara I don't know the answer to that but I believe my friend used store bought.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2016 :  1:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Darlene that makes my life a lot easier.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2016 :  9:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I have made jam using frozen berries before. It might not set up quite as well but is still tasty. I let them thaw first.

We were able to harvest from our Mulberry Tree this year so I canned a dozen jars of Mulberry Jam BUT I will be re-batching them because they are too sweet.

I found Dark Sweet Cherries on sale .99 a pound and made:

~Spiced Cherry Pie Filling
~Canned Cherries in light syrup with Vanilla Bean
~Cherry Balsamic Preserves
~Dark Cherry Chutney

I also made some Elderflower Cordial (Syrup) and canned some German Style Mustard

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  05:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Sharon you have been a busy FarmGirl. It all sounds good to me. How will you make the mulberry jam less sweet?

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  07:46:07 AM  Show Profile
I guess I am kind of hijacking the canning thread, but I wanted to share this jam recipe I found on Taryn's blog, Wooly Moss Roots. For those of you that have never looked at it, they are a delightful family.
Anyway, this is more of a refrigerator jam, as I am not sure how the ingredients would hold up to canning. It peaked my interest for sure, as I don't eat sugar.
http://woolymossroots.com/2016/07/blueberry-jam-lemon-chia/
I don't have any blueberries yet, but will try this for sure!

Sharon, how do you make your mustard? I do a kombucha mustard that may be similar.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  10:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Lisa, I checked out the blog and I will be trying her blueberry jam. I will also read more of her blog. Thanks for sharing.

Also, I googled fermented pickles with rye bread and several sites came up with good results. Try it.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  12:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I am just going to add more berries and wing it!

Hi Lisa!!!! I found a recipe in a mustard cookbook. Mix coarsely ground brown and yellow mustard seeds with white wine, balsamic or malt vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, spices (caraway seed, sea salt, allspice, cloves, cinnamon and mace) and mixed garlic cloves.

I would be interested in hearing more about your Kombucha mustard! We started making our own Kombucha about a year ago. It has helped us so much especially a month when I got Salmonella Poisoning. A friend brought us eggs from her neighbor so we didn't know the source. I know that my symptoms would have lasted more than a week and a half if I had not been drinking the Kombucha. Oh and our pigs get Kombucha fermented grains in their diet too :)

Thanks for the blog link Lisa, I am going to check it out :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Jul 10 2016 12:53:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  12:54:29 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Sharon, your cherry treats all sound wonderful! I do wish we had mulberries on our property. I realized my dgd had a mulberry bush/tree just before she moved. Darn.
I too am wondering how you will make the mulberry jam less sweet?

I found a Hungarian recipe for fermented cucumbers. They are called kovaszos uborka. I hope to fibnd cucumbers at farmers market.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  5:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Judith, that's one of the fermented pickles I googled. They look good. I'm going to try them.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  6:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Sharon! You ROCK! Thank you! Will be giving the blueberry jam a try very soon! I bet your kitchen always smells wonderful - you're always making the coolest things!!! My Mom is going to LOVE that mustard recipe - me, too!

Lisa - Thanks for sharing that recipe! I will have to head out to find chia seeds - I think they have them at Costco???

I've never fermented anything but sauerkraut, Judith, but Lisa has told me several times to try other things! That sounds really good!

Tomorrow I'm canning mandarin oranges! My son LOVES them fresh, and all winter he will snack on them right out of the can. I found out recently, though, that in order to remove the membranes, companies soak them in a LYE solution before processing! YOWSA! I'm sure it's "safe," but man, I don't want my family eating anything soaked in a lye solution! I found a few recipes online, so I'm going to give it a whirl. If they turn out well, I'm going back to the store this week and then can up enough for a year. I have read that they are very good home canned, but the membranes can be a little tough after processing - have any of you had any experience with this? I know that you can remove the membranes on oranges and grapefruits before canning, but these oranges are so tiny, I'm not sure I want to go through all the work.

I also read somewhere that you no longer need to make your simple syrup prior to canning. The article said that you can just add your sugar to the jar of fruits, then add your boiling water. Apparently when you process your fruit, the syrup boils right in the jar, thus saving a lot of time. I'm really liking that idea, but would love to know if any of you have ever done this? If so, are you able to guide me as to how much sugar to add to pint jars for a light simple syrup?

Thanks so much! I am so excited to be trying new things this year! I want to do fruit cocktail, too! Does anyone have a recipe or suggestions?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jul 11 2016 1:53:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  12:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

I'm thrilled to report that canning the mandarin oranges was a great success! I first tried to separate the fruit "meat" from the membranes, but that was absolutely a fail - everything kept crumbling in my hands. I know you have to be very careful if you're canning the sections with the membranes, because if you don't remove all the pith, the fruit will become very bitter. I hand peeled the rind, then took a paring knife and scraped off any remaining pith and strings. Then I separated the sections and removed any strings from the inner part of the fruit. I decided to try the syrup method of making the syrup right in the jar, and it worked like a charm. I water bathed the jars for 15 minutes, then let them sit in the canner to cool a bit before removing to the table. They look BEAUTIFUL, and everything sealed up perfectly! YAY! The orange sections aren't floating or anything - the jars just look chock-full of sunny orange mandarin orange sections surrounded by syrup. YES! Now I have to wait two weeks before opening the jars (they say to wait two weeks to help the flavors of the oranges and syrup meld). If all goes well, I plan to do a lot more. I'm excited too, because I read that the syrup is great used as flavoring for iced tea and other beverages, or for use in baking - how cool is that!?

In case any of you are interested and haven't done this before, here is make syrup in the jar as you process your fruit, including sugar measurements:

For Quart Jars:

1/2 c. sugar for heavy syrup
1/3 c. sugar for medium syrup
1/4 c. sugar for light syrup

For Pint Jars: Just cut those sugar measurements in half:

1/4 c. sugar for heavy syrup
1/6 c. sugar for medium syrup
1/8 c. sugar for light syrup

Directions:

Fill the jar 2/3 full with fruit, pack down (or shake down) to settle. Add sugar. Fill the remainder of jar to the shoulder with fruit. Add boiling water to recommended level. "De-bubble" your jar. Add additional water to recommended level, if necessary. Wipe rim with clean cloth dipped in white vinegar. Screw on sanitized lids. Process accordingly.

It IS possible that you could have some undissolved sugar in your jars, but I had none. Really, everything boils just fine in the water bath. If this does happen, though, don't worry: your finished product is fine. When the jar cools and is sealed tight (after 24 hours on the counter), just shake it a little to dissolve. OR you can just leave it as is, no harm! :)

I'm so excited! Crossing my fingers that my canning project turns out well! These oranges won't be like the ones you buy in cans at the store, but they should be very, very good! I can't wait!

Happy canning!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  1:34:03 PM  Show Profile
Plus, most of the ones in the store (at least all of the ones I have checked) com from China! Way to go Nini!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  1:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh my GOSH! Are you SERIOUS? From CHINA?! Oy vey! I had NO idea!!! I only buy food grown in the U.S., preferably local, or sometimes from Canada, if I really need it! I am sick at heart over that, Lisa! Geez! I'm going to have to check because I think we still have a few cans in the pantry! YIKES!!! Thank you SO much for letting me know!

One of the videos I watched this morning about canning mandarin oranges said the solution they use is made of lye and ARSENIC! Eghads? And NONE of that gets into the fruit/final product?! Good gravy! What have I been feeding my family!?

All the more reason to DIY, I say! Let's just hope the ones I canned turn out well! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

morganewilson
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Morgan
Knoxville TN
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  7:36:06 PM  Show Profile

Three 12 oz jars of blackberry and strawberry jam (lower sugar using Pomona's Pectin). My friend let me raid her wild blackberry patch while she was on vacation. Got about 3 lbs, enough for these and one cobbler.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2016 :  8:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Wow, Nini and Morgan!! Just look at those jewels, Morgan! I especially like black raspberries!

Nini, I am going to print your post! I want to try those mandarin oranges too; and, I want to save your measurements and how to.
Thanks for sharing!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  08:23:23 AM  Show Profile
The canning all looks so yummy! Thank you for sharing!

I used to be an avid canner when I lived in Montreal. There was this pear tree that hung over my back balcony. I canned pears in amaretto! Yummy! What fun it was to go to the Jean Talon Market and get my goodies. I canned beets, bread & butter pickles and various jams. Now that I live in the country, I cannot find a local farmer's market that has bushels of vegetables. So I haven't canned in over 20 years!!! Isn't that funny that now that I live in the country, I don't have access to large quantities of vegetables and yet in the city, there it was!

But, you are all giving me the bug to get back into it! I may even try pressure canning of stocks and what not. Beats opening a can or frozen vegetables!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com

Edited by - ceridwen on Jul 12 2016 08:24:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  09:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Where does one get oranges? Would love to can them instead of lye oranges from the store

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  10:18:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

I was just checking on my jars and am absolutely amazed at how the syrup turned out! COOL! What a time saver! I am going to try this with other fruit, too! So glad you're as excited about the mandarins and syrup as I am!

Rae - We get ours from the grocer, Costco or Sam's Club. I'm not sure how "in season" they are, and I know they've still come a long way to get here, but I'm sure happier buying them now that I have the big picture about the canned ones! I promise to let you know how mine turn out. I'm nervous because I've heard they can turn bitter if you don't remove ALL of the pith, but I was pretty diligent! And I know they're going to be different than those in cans from the store, but we use fresh on salads, etc., anyway. I'm pretty confident they'll be good! My son is super excited - he says everything Mom cans is better than what you get from the store! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

GoatieGirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  5:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Sara,
About the bread... I'm too nervous to try using store bought bread. I've been told to use "Hardy Bread".. my interpretation of that would be a home baked rye or similar bread.

Here's the recipe for the Hungarian Sour Pickles (best as I can translate)

4 lbs Pickling cucumbers
Fresh dill
5 or 6 garlic cloves
15-20 peppercorns
2 Quarts Water
4 Tbsp Salt
2 slices "hardy bread"

Bring water to a boil, stirring until salt dissolves.
Place fresh Dill, 1/2 garlic, 1/2 peppercorns in bottom of your jar
Add cucumbers, then layer with more fresh dill,
Again add more cucumbers.
If salt water has cooled to just above room temp, pour into jar over pickles then add the rest of garlic, dill and peppercorns.
(make sure jar is full to top)

Then add 2 slices/Pieces of Bread, cover with cheesecloth (burlap or old coffee sacks work too!)

Place container outside (out of direct sunlight), you will see a transition in the water over 5-7 days. When the fermenting bubbles have subsided, you can place your pickles in the fridge covered in the brine.

Sister #6700
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  5:42:09 PM  Show Profile
Melody thanks for the recipe.

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  6:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Yes, thank you, Melody. Another good one to try.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Awesome, Melody! Thank you for sharing!

I just had to look it up... Here is a recipe I found for Hardy Peasant Bread, if you're interested: https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2054748

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2016 :  08:55:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ninibini

Silly question: I have a bunch of frozen blueberries in the freezer that are just going to sit there for quite a while if I don't do something with them. Is it possible to can pie filling from frozen blueberries? Or maybe jam? Or do you think I should just dehydrate them to add to dishes later? This year, I really want to try to make everything as homemade ready-made as possible!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

I have successfully frozen then thawed and used blueberries, cherries, etc. for canning recipes. I've done the same with tomatoes for that matter - making salsa or spaghetti sauce when I had the time vs. when they were ripe and sitting on my counters STARING at me :)
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2016 :  10:37:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jaime! You know, it never occurred to me when I asked, but I also use frozen tomatoes for processing salsa, sauce, etc. (makes it a lot easier to remove the skins!) YAY! Can't wait to start canning up my frozen goodies! Again, thank you! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page