nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2023 :  6:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Fresh cranberries - how awesome!!!! One day I'd love to see them growing in person.

I'm happy to report all my pie filling sealed. One jar was boiling over when I pulled it out so I was worried it wouldn't seal up but it did :) Next up is applesauce. Then I'm finished with the apples. Good thing! I'm getting tired of peeling them LOL! I felt the same way about the potatoes :) I'm not sure if I'll get the beef and broth done before Christmas or after. I'm behind on gift making so it might just wait.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  05:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Heather do you have an apple peeler. I think they are around 20 dollars now, but will save you a world of time doing apples. So nice when all the jars seal!!

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  08:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Sara
I made the Tikka Masala yesterday. I halved the recipe, then took a portion and simmered with chicken breasts.
I added a can of coconut milk and served over rice topped with peanuts.
I need to get some apples and do some applesauce too!
I would love to get cranberries in the way you do Michele.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  08:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, how did you like the tikka masala sauce? I will have to remember to add coconut milk when I use the sauce with chicken.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  08:39:31 AM  Show Profile
I love the garam masala spice. It reminds my hubby and I of the flavor of Cincinnati chili. As I said last night, "It tastes Skyline-y". Jim agreed. Skyline is a famous CIncinnati chili chain.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  08:41:14 AM  Show Profile
Also, Jim told his close friend from India that I was making it. He told Jim that Masala means spice, which lends me to believe there are many types.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  10:01:51 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, it makes sense that masala means spice. I wonder what garma means. The brand I have has 11 spices and is from northern India. Garma masala may vary regionally.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2023 :  11:23:09 AM  Show Profile
I 'googled' it and garma means hot.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  04:20:28 AM  Show Profile
Hot and Spicy just like you girls!! Enjoy.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  04:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Hot & spicy made me giggle.

Yesterday I put up 7 pints of crowder peas. All sealed but one. Unsealed jars are and will remain a mystery to me.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9258 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9258 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2023 :  05:00:09 AM  Show Profile
I spent some time Saturday making applesauce. First time since we moved here. We were down to the last jar from what I had left when we moved here. These I made from our little backyard tree. I didn't think I could do anything with them but this year the tree seemed ti be obliging in growing them a bit bigger. So they were not the prettiest apples but I used what I could after picking as many as we could and it tasted great. I don't sweeten mine and I don't know what type of apple they are but I was happy to be making it from our own apples.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2023 :  03:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Denise, nice you got to use your apples. Must be a sweet apple if you don't need to add sugar. I should get out and pick more of our apples. Been busy fixing fences, and worn out.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2023 :  10:53:03 AM  Show Profile
Michele - I do have one of those peelers. I love it and hate it at the same time LOL! Some apples it works very well and some it just doesn't. I use it for pie filling but I like the dehydrated apples to be thicker so I just do them by hand.

Denise - so glad you were able to use your own apples this year. I love cinnamon apple sauce but it usually requires a bit of sugar.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2023 :  02:16:53 AM  Show Profile
The canner is washed up and put away for a while. It was a good harvest, and lots stored up. Nothing better for the winter then home canned/froze food.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2023 :  1:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I would say your canner deserves a break! You've done GOOD!
I pulled all of the romas out of the freezer (6 gallon bags) and canned those yesterday along with my Tikka Masala sauce I made last weekend and had in the fridge.
Need to dry can some potatoes I got on sale, and then will put my big canner away and just use the electric for beans etc as needed.
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1445 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1445 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2023 :  6:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Girls, would you mind sharing your go to recipe for canning potatoes? This year was an absolute failure for hubby and I.

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9258 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9258 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2023 :  03:08:57 AM  Show Profile
Happy national canning day ladies!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2023 :  05:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Michelle I've with Lisa, you did good.

Lisa I have always canned potatoes in water how do you dry can them?

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2023 :  08:42:31 AM  Show Profile
I peel the potatoes (if the peels are nice you can leave them on). I chop into chunks, but I have seen some who do them like long steak type fries. I soak in water and rinse a couple of times. Pat dry, then cram into jars tightly. Pressure can for 40 min at your designated lbs per pressure for your area. They will shrink up some during canning, but the space is OK. When I use them, I rinse off, because there is usually a bit of residual starch at the bottom of the jar. So far, we have only used them for air fries, and they are the best ever. Super crispy.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2023 :  03:26:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kinds words. I have only canned potatoes in water. I think I sort of followed a recipe for potatoes in the ball canning book. I leave peels on the baby ones I can. Right after digging I wash up the little ones and put them in jars. This year I did not have any little ones, weird. The big potatoes, I cut up to bite size pieces. They are ready to use.
Cut up your potatoes how you like, boil 10 min, add to hot jars, add hot liquid and pressure can. Add a little salt to each jar too.
Good luck.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2023 :  06:10:58 AM  Show Profile
Several years ago I put up green beans with potatoes in 24 oz jars. Greens beans on the bottom and the potatoes on top to keep the beans from floating. One of the prettiest things I ever canned. Might get around to doing it again this winter. It would be nice if I could catch the potatoes and beans on sale.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2023 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know you could dry can potatoes either! Learn something new everyday LOL!

Sara - isn't it a wonderful bonus how nice the canned food looks. I have an old book full of recipes and there are pictures of jelly that's layered and each layer is a different color. Looks so pretty I'm not sure I'd want to ruin it :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2684 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2684 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2023 :  4:12:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm very new to canning, I tried my hand at water bath canning this year, made peach, grape and strawberry jam. The peach is my favorite, so good! The grape was actually amazing, as it was made from 100% grape juice from the store, thought it sounded easy enough and I was intrigued by the recipe. My strawberry jam, well, it tastes delicious, however, it's very very VERY firm! LOL! This was my first attempt and while it tastes so good, my husband was stabbing it with a fork and we were laughing. Thought I would save it for ice cream or something, would hate to waste all those strawberries that were used. Today, I canned tomatoes in the water bath, so far so good, they sure look pretty. I will try the pressure canner next year, had to get my feet wet with the water bath, as my mama scared the you know what out of me with the pressure canner growing up. My mom always canned potatoes and they made for the easiest and yummiest mashed potatoes at thanksgiving, was always one of our favorites!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2023 :  4:39:11 PM  Show Profile
April I'm so happy you are joining in on canning. I too started out with jellies and jams. Canned tomatoes are among the prettiest jars of home can food.

Today I cooked 5 lbs of chicken wings to can chicken broth in the morning. On American Test Kitchen on PBS they said chicken wings were the best pieces of chicken to make broth. So, I thought I would try it. Will have to see it after it is canned to make my final decision on whether it is worth the extra price per lb for the chicken wings.

Annie had a taste of the chicken after I took it off the bone and she all but licked her chops. I froze it for her next week's breakfasts.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2023 :  5:06:58 PM  Show Profile
April - my first batch of jam turned out just like yours!!! We would bend spoons trying to get it out and laugh and laugh about it. Mostly we just ate a spoonful of it as a treat rather than trying to put it on anything. I'm so glad you're getting into canning. I love to see canned peaches on the shelf. I think they look great and also taste great!

Sara - I hope you find the extra price worth it. I bet Annie thinks it was worth it :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page