YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2023 :  11:12:14 AM  Show Profile
This morning I put up 7 pints vegetable broth and all sealed.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2023 :  04:44:47 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I put up 6 pints of beef broth; one did not seal so I will have beef broth veg soup today.

I have fresh and dried baby Bella mushrooms on the stove now to make mushroom broth. Will can in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2023 :  03:15:30 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you are one busy canner!! Your shelves must be getting full. A good feeling that is for sure. I smoked bacon yesterday. Will slice it today and freeze. Happy Canning to you.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2023 :  03:47:09 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, good job smoking your own bacon.

This morning I am canning mushroom broth. That will be the end of my broth canning for a while unless my sister gives me a hambone after thanksgiving or Christmas. I now have chicken, beef, corncob, and veg broths in my pantry.

I cook for one, so a pint of broth is the perfect size for me to make a two serving pot of soup.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2023 :  07:08:05 AM  Show Profile
Michele I bet your bacon is divine! Have you ever canned it? I've seen that done but never have the quantity to warrant the effort.
Sara, I only have beef and chicken broths. I love your variety.
We were gifted a huge amount of seedless grapes, so I canned a bunch (no pun intended) yesterday. Got 5 pints, plus still have enough fresh for a fruit salad. They came out like the grapes in a can of fruit cocktail, like a pale greenish yellow.
Also had a bunch of apples that were about to turn, and since I have quite a bit of applesauce, I made up my own recipe for apple barbeque sauce, just adding ingredients as I went. Got 6 jelly jars, plus will add some to a small pork roast in the slow cooker today.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2023 :  07:24:39 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I never thought about canning grapes, seedless or otherwise. You're my kind of cook/canner, make it up as you go along. I bet it is yummy and the pork will be so good with it.

When the mushroom broth comes out of the canner, I will let the canner rest till next week when I want to can more dried beans. There are other things I need to get done around the house.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2023 :  09:40:07 AM  Show Profile
All jars sealed; the canner is cleaned; and covered with a decorative tea towel so I don't have to dust it before I use it again.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2023 :  03:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Sara great job on all your canning. Time to put your feet up and relax a bit.
Lisa those grapes sound divine. How did your apple bbq sauce turn out? That sounds like a great idea.
I have never canned bacon. Not something that I would want to try, really. I have tried hamburger, sausage and burrito in a jar.
While they were all ok, and I like the convenience of it, I really don't plan on doing it again. Unless a freezer went out or something major. Knock on wood that don't happen.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2023 :  08:10:22 AM  Show Profile
The apple barbeque sauce turned out good. It is very tangy, as I am not a fan of sweets.
I know what you mean about the meats. I do like canned venison in chunks, as it tenderizes the meat so well and takes away some of the gaminess.
Sara, my canner is lucky to even get put away. I like your tea towel idea.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2023 :  07:29:35 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, my electric canner is out all the time next to my stove. It sits on a little table with a shelve underneath that holds my canning rings and jar lifter in a large enamel cake pan. When I am ready to can all I have to do is take off the tea towel and add water to the canner.

Sometime today my sister is bringing me a hambone with scrapes of ham. Hope to make the hambone broth today so I can put it up tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2023 :  03:09:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara, do you just cook your hambone in water and then can? A good way to use the hambone, if you don't want to make a pot of soup. I have done chicken and beef stock, and that is it. We did try a jar of split pea soup the other night. It was pretty good, for an instant meal. The recipe was in the canning cookbook you had sent.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2023 :  06:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, just nonchlorine water and hambone with scrapes of ham. Bring to a boil then simmer for 2 hours. After taking out the bone & scrapes I strain the broth. This is optional, I like a clear broth. Put in fridge and next morning I scrim off any remaining fat before canning. Straining the broth gets a lot of the fat. Hambone broth can be pretty strong so if needed I add nonchlorine water to taste.

I've given this straining hint before, but I think it's worth repeating. I use Viva paper towels to strain broths, I may have to change paper towels several times if the broth has a lot of fat, but it saves my cheesecloth for more delicate things.

My sister wasn't feeling well yesterday so I may get the hambone today - then I may not. Let's just say the I'll make the broth when it gets here.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2023 :  02:44:08 AM  Show Profile
thanks Sara. I hope sister is feeling much better. Great hint on the straining. thanks

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2023 :  06:21:23 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, Betty is much better and bought me the hambone yesterday and I made the broth. It had more fat then I thought it would, but it gave me a chance to use my green speckled vintage enamel skimmer. As I was skimming the fat I thought about the woman or women who had used the skimmer before me. I wondered if she lived on a farm, in a small town, or a NYC row house where she dreamed of a place of her own with a small garden in back. My how my mind does wander when I use my old things.

The broth is on the stove heating up and the canner is warming the water for the jars. I'm on my way to canning.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2023 :  1:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Two jars didn't seal so I will be making bean soup tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3004 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3004 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2023 :  6:23:28 PM  Show Profile
It's always annoying when jars don't seal - but at least you have a good use for the broth! I didn't know there was a tool for skimming. I'm going to google it and see what they look like. I bet yours was used by a farm wife :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2023 :  03:15:00 AM  Show Profile
A job well done Sara. Sure wish we all knew why jars don't seal sometimes. Could be tiny flaws in the lids? Can't be operator error! lol
Vintage tools are great to use.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2023 :  05:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, one of the things that may cause jars not to seal is the rings. I have several different makes of jars and I wonder if a ring of one brand won't fit just right on another brand. I know that yesterday I had trouble with two jars and finding rings to fit.

Heather, after I read your post I googled vintage kitchen skimmers and found some. I've had mine for forty something years and probably paid 25c or 50c for it at an estate sale. I never paid more than that for vintage kitchen tools back then.

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2023 :  2:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Doing some pineapple jalapeño jam!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
www.etsy.com/shop/antiquemarie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2023 :  2:36:07 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia, I've made hot pepper jelly but never with pineapple, I bet it is really good.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2023 :  03:04:29 AM  Show Profile
I bet pineapple would be good. My friend used raspberry and jalapeno and he loved it. Good point Sara, no one has ever blamed a ring before. Something to think about for sure. It is most annoying when a ring does not fit. Most of my jars are old, kerr or ball. I was given a handful of odd ball ones, country classics or whatever the name, and the rings only fit those jars. I have tried to mark them, to keep them out of the rotation.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2023 :  05:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Everything that is made is done so within tolerances of high and low measurements. A perfect storm in canning would be when the jar, lid, and ring were at the limits of both tolerances. A ring on the low end would not fit properly on a jar at the high end. That's too much thinking for me this early in the morning so I'll go make me a cup of English Breakfast tea.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2023 :  03:13:17 AM  Show Profile
That is some scientific thinking there Sara. haha. Glad I am having my coffee. I think it makes sense. Thanks.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2023 :  04:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I canned up Elderberry cold syrup. Giving it a try. My sister makes it up. I got 8 little jars, three jelly jars and 5 little jars, not sure on the size. This syrup contains elderberry juice, arrowroot powder, honey, and ginger.
My ma gave me a bunch of carrots that she was not going to use. So they will be canned today.

Farming in WI

Michele

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2023 :  06:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, makes me happy to know someone is canning. The elderberry syrup is a good thing. Canned carrots are good to have on hand.

I haven't been canning, been house cleaning instead. It had to be done.

Have 4 lbs chicken wings in freezer for broth and meat for Annie. Ordered dried heirloom beans to be delivered Mon so should be canning beans soon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page