Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 September Farmgirl Apple Festival!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic
Page: of 11

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2015 :  5:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Great story, MaryJane. That tree IS a fighter.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  05:17:08 AM  Show Profile
I happen to like gnarly old trees. If they could talk don't you just know they would have the best stories to tell.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  06:51:42 AM  Show Profile
There is our beautiful and Farmgirl Rugged Apple Pie Sunday Tree!! I have the photo of it with the apples showing as my screensaver right now. You know what? Last night I was listening to an interview given by Maine apple expert, John Bunker. He was talking about all the varieties of apple trees that people had in their yards. Back in the day, he tells, people just traded tree stock with neighbors to get their own best trees for eating, cooking, cider, or sauce making. It was not uncommon for a tree to be named by a local community that was the same tree named differently by another community. Voila! MaryJane, we are following suit of ancestors all across America that named their apple trees based on their own assessments. What a perfect name for this historical tree in this our first MJF Apple Festival and beginning of a tradition that the last Sunday in September will henceforth be known as Farmgirl Apple Pie Sunday!! Maybe this is going to be the next children's book?? I absolutely love it that your Grandchildren will have a chance to learn about this heritage and help us celebrate it and carry on the tradition. I can't wait to see our mascot all decked out with a red ribbon lovingly placed by little hands and decked out in celebration crafted cards. It makes me well up with tears just thinking about it. Please post us a few photos of their Cultivator meeting when they decorate the tree. If you can get a hold of the actual apples, it would be interesting to photo them and note how they taste and what they were best used for.

Apple Happiness Today! Look what I found at a rural farmstead outside of town yesterday! Yep, fresh early apples from North Carolina. Whoop!!! I was so excited and have tried both the Jonagold and Fuji. Will try the other one (forgot the name already@#!) and then decide what to go back for this weekend to purchase in bulk. I am working on the Beginner and Intermediate levels of the badge at the same time but I needed REAL apples to work with.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  08:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I am also working on both Beginning and Intermediate badges at the same time. Poor Brian will have so many merit badges to approve in January! LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  10:50:05 AM  Show Profile
Glad to know someone else is already delving into the Apple Badge. I adore that graphic for the badge design too. So, apple perfect in my opinion! The badge is a good framework for me to do the kitchen ideas that I have been toying with too. Plus, I love to read all about apples and their history.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:35:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  12:22:01 PM  Show Profile
I haven't started working on badges yet but I have printed out the requirements.

Typed out apple pie recipe for the recipe swap to put on recipe card. If I wrote it out my partner wouldn't be able to read it.

Planning what tucks I want to add to recipe.

So much to plan for and do ~~~ ain't it fun!

Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  12:49:08 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:36:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  1:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
You can download quite a few recipe card designs for free on the Internet. Just search for Free Recipe Cards and see what you can find. I've saved several and will use them for this swap and for myself.
There are also a lot of cards you can buy on line.

I hope this helps.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  1:32:17 PM  Show Profile
I usually buy mine off of Amazon... But like Linda suggested, I have also printed some. It amazes me what is so hard to find now! Even clothespins can be difficult to find!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  2:58:45 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:36:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  1:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, anyone, can you identify this variety of apple from our Apple Pie Sunday mascot tree? It has ribs if you will (bumps that extend from top to bottom). Any ideas?????? They are DELISH by the way:)

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  2:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Mary Jane,
It's kinda hard to determine for sure, but it rather looks like a Red Delicious to me!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  2:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Steph,
I've been able to find recipes cards at Michaels craft supply stores . . . believe it or not! I don't live near one but do shop at one near my daughter's in the Phoenix area when I visit her.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  3:33:17 PM  Show Profile
Steph, I find my recipe cards in Walmart in the stationery dept. Where the copy paper and others are. Hope that helps.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  3:37:51 PM  Show Profile
If you go to this website - http://www.applename.com/ - you might be able to figure out what what kind it is...

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  4:49:19 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 11:36:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  5:12:18 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane, in my apple book, this photo has me wondering if this is a relative to your apple. It is called the Karmine Apple, is specific to the Northwest, and a relative to the Cox Pippin. The apple is medium to large, roundish, and the skin is partially red-orange over green-yellow, with a russet color around the flower end. Does this sounds like yours? It says the fruit is a yellowish color, coarse, firm, juicy and highly acidic. It is great for baking, eating and making juice. Does that sound like what you have? . My book says the following: " Nothing quite measures up to the complex, intense flavor and aroma of the Karmine." I would love to try one, as I bet they are wonderful!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  8:28:50 PM  Show Profile
I love apples! I'm excited to get started on the Apples badge. I may be like some of the other girls and make an apron with apples on it. That would be so adorable. I've already joined the swap. I'll have to find a place to go apple picking. I know that there are some around. Just have to look. A great field trip for my kiddos too. Yay!!

RoDonna

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.pinterest.com/kymomma4
www.facebook.com/onthehomestead
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  11:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Redonna, I hope you can find a great apple U-Pick place in Kentucky over in the eastern part. Most places offer some fun activities for children as well like corn mazes and tractor rides out to the orchards. I love to go apple picking where you can see all the apples hanging from the trees. They look so beautiful!! Plus you can usually pick several varieties for your eating, baking and canning needs.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  4:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Today, I followed a recipe from my recent Capper's Farmer magazine for Apple bread. I halved the recipe just to see how it would taste and it turned out good! I'm testing ideas for the Intermediate Apple Badge dinner that uses apples. This recipe could easily be dessert if I timed it to be warm from the oven. Tomorrow I might try some apple butter on it instead of regular butter to see what I like best.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  04:28:59 AM  Show Profile
Winnie I haven't heard of Cappers Farmer Mag. I may check it out. I did check it out and subscribed.

Yesterday I cut out my apple apron and garden flag. I decided to not do pockets on apron and make it as simple as possible,so, it will just have the big green apple on bib. I can always add pockets later if I want to.

The garden flag is simple too. The flag is made out of a orange cloth-backed vinyl tablecloth. A big green apple out of green cloth-backed vinyl tablecloth and one of MFF Certified FarmGirl bumper sticker. Thanks Winnie the sticker is what I needed to finish my garden flag.

Edited to say I will write MJF Apple Festival on the flag's apple.

Edited by - YellowRose on Sep 07 2015 05:01:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  05:44:00 AM  Show Profile
Sara, your garden flag sounds absolutely adorable! What a clever idea to use a cloth backed vinyl tablecloth for the outside weather. I bet it will be too cute and very festive for our Apple Festival too. I need to make an apple apron too but just haven't found what I wanted in fabric. Clever sewing is not my strong suit! LOL!!

Capper's Farmer is one of my favorites. The companion, GRIT, is more if you actually have a farm and work it. The Capper's is still about farms but more topics relate to things I might be doing or want to do. I always enjoy their recipes and crafting sections.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I haven't heard of the magazine either, Winnie. What types of articles does it have? Is it mainly geared for farmers?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  09:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love the sound of your flag, Sara. Please post a picture!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page